Going to NJ!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Some ISPs offer a certain number of dial up minutes a month (or they offer dial up minutes at a discounted rate for subscribers)...I think that might only be DSL but I don't know. It's worth calling the ISP to find out if they offer such a thing.

Also, some ISPs offer movable internet but you need a special modem for that and pay a higher monthly rate and I don't think you can just switch over for your trip and switch back since it involves hardware changes.

Mare

Thanks. Know what i was wondering, how come business ppl can use their laptops on business trips, as such on the planes and stuff, how do they use them???

MrBishop

OK...................but im serious! What do i have to do to get internet on the laptop while im away from home. Do I have to call an ISP or something. I hate not having the computer with morning coffee.

HELP PLEASE!
Wireless card + WiFi hotspot = Happiness :)

Here's a list of WiFi hotspots for New Jersey
http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/browse/us/2000230/

Definition: A hotspot is any location where Wi-Fi network access (usually Internet access) is made publicly available. You can often find hotspots in airports, hotels, coffee shops, and other places where business people tend to congregate. Hotspots are considered a valuable productivity tool for business travelers and other frequent users of network services.
Technically speaking, hotspots consist of one or several wireless access points installed inside buildngs and/or adjoining outdoor areas. These APs are typically networked to printers and/or a shared high-speed Internet connection. Some hotspots require special application software be installed on the Wi-Fi client, primarily for billing and security purposes, but others require no configuration other than knowledge of the network name (SSID).

Wireless service providers like T-Mobile generally own and maintain hotspots.

Hobbyists sometimes setup hotspots as well, often for non-profit purposes. The majority of hotspots require payment of hourly, daily, monthly, or other subscription fees.
Hotspot providers strive to make connecting Wi-Fi clients as simple and secure as possible. However, being public, hotspots generally provide less secure Internet connections than do other wireless business networks.

Inkara1

I used the Atlanta airport wi-fi hotspot when I was stuck there all night. That wireless network shows up when you look at the list of wireless networks in range, and when you select it and then open up your web browser, it automatically takes you to a page to enter in your credit card info. It cost me $8 for 24 hours of access... if I weren't going to be stuck at the airport all night I wouldn't have paid that, but for my situation it was well worth the $8.

If you're at someone's house, you can view the wireless networks in range... if there are any that say "unsecured" or something to that effect (I forget the exact term used), you can connect to one (use the one with the most "signal strength" bars) and use it for internet. If it says "secured," then you need a password to log onto it.

Mare

Thanks Guys, you are truely a godsent. I wasnt trying to be a blonde, but, LOL:rolleyes: ................I will take the laptop and explore new worlds...Thanks again.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Mare: Business people use their laptops everywhere but they don't necessarily have internet everywhere that they're using the laptop...they could just be working on something off the harddrive.

Also, regarding the wireless hotspots that Bish posted...make sure you find out the cost (if any) before hand...before I had net I searched for wireless hotspots at work one day so I could go after work with my laptop and have some net time and they were all pay (and VERY expensive at that)...in fact, one place didn't know how much it was...it was just charged automatically to your home phone bill or credit card...needless to say I didn't use the net there, the fee could have been INSANE.

BB

well say hello to Jerseydevil while you are there!

(you can call him JD if you like - say BB says hello!)

Mare

well say hello to Jerseydevil while you are there!

(you can call him JD if you like - say BB says hello!)

I havent been to his mothers gravesite in many many years, since I was 19-20...................:shrug:

Well, today is the day, want all of you to play nice and have a great week!!! I will try to keep all posted if I get my laptop to work or if I'm able to get on a computer. Be good, Love Ya's, Mare:kiss: :D

Mare

Hi all, Im here! Long drive,we left 9:00 am saturday and got here 2:00 pm yesterday, we stopped in NC overnite. SO GREAT to see mom. CHILLY HERE! LOL. supposed to go up to 74 tomorrow and then drop again. I LOVE seeing the bare trees actually, its actually a different season here! LMAO. all you see in florida is green all year round. Well, just wanted to say hi and let all know i made it. Take care talk to you all soon. :kiss:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Since you're in the land of wannbes, head across the river & get a good deli sammich. Lord knows, you can't find 'em anywhere else.

MrBishop

Or drive a few hours more, come to Montreal and I'll introduce you to a smoked-meat sandwich that'll give you an uvulal orgasm!

Altron

bah. go to big john's on 70 west right before the 295 exit. best steaks this side of the delaware.

Mare

I wish we had time to go to South Street, there's where you'll get a good steak samich, Pat's. Been staying down in Collings Lakes at my sisters with my Mom. The boys are going to spread some ashes today, im sure its going to be emotional.