Govt Motors to "Investigate" Toyota

Cerise

Conflict of interest?

The US House of Representatives has announced an investigation into Toyota’s faulty accelerator pedals and other problems that may have caused 19 deaths over the past decade and triggered a global recall of nearly eight million vehicles.

A month from now Toyota will face a cross-examination from the House Committee on Energy and Commerce over whether it responded soon enough to reports that accelerator pedals could become stuck.

The CEOs of one car company grilling the CEOs of a competing car company?

2minkey

bootlicker
you're right. they should just let toyota do what american car companies have done for years. oh, wait, toyota is actually owning up to the problem. that's different.

Cerise

In an alternate universe it could be seen as inappropriate for the officials of one car company to delve into the business of a competitor's.

Until they have their claws out of GM the powers that be at the gov should disqualify themselves from this "investigation."

I'm sure a group of congressmen have more mechanical knowledge than Toyota's engineers. It will probably look like Steroidgate.

More like 0bamamotors is just trying to eliminate the competition, the maker of the #1 car sold in America.

MrBishop

The US House of Representatives own GM?

I suppose that the entire US GVT should stop anything to do with cars from now on, eh. Vested interest?

Winky

Govt Motors to outlaw competition.

no you are WRONG!

They should outlaw all other competing car companies
beginning with that evil Ford Motor Company as they
are evil cuz they are showing a PROFIT!

Cerise

Depends on your definition of "giant" and "assed" if you really want to know the truth. :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Why should the government (whether they are the current owners of GM & Dodge, or not) investigate Toyota over a mechanical failure?

2minkey

bootlicker
you're right. the government has no business looking into whether a corporate entity endangered the public safety by failing to act swiftly. no business whatsoever. for that matter, why arrest drunk drivers? let mobs identify them, and beat them to death.

Cerise

What is the correct response if the foot feed gets stuck? Shift into neutral, gently apply the brakes, coast to the shoulder and stop?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
you're right. the government has no business looking into whether a corporate entity endangered the public safety by failing to act swiftly.

How did Toyota endanger public safety? They offered a voluntary recall.

The question remains, what are they investigating? Has Toyota declared this mechanical failure an intentional act? The leading US auto seller decided to harm its reputation by attempting to kill US citizens...sound business model?

ResearchMonkey

No one is forced buy a Toyota, no on is forced to drive a Toyota. Hard to stay in business if people don't buy the cars you don't fix.

Mobs? I think they serve a purpose.

2minkey

bootlicker
How did Toyota endanger public safety? They offered a voluntary recall.

The question remains, what are they investigating? Has Toyota declared this mechanical failure an intentional act? The leading US auto seller decided to harm its reputation by attempting to kill US citizens...sound business model?

you obviously have no idea how product flaws are handled inside automotive companies. the only reason they would offer a voluntary recall is that after enough instances of accidents caused by (assumed issue) the balance of their cost rationalization shifted, and a recall became cheaper that paying off the injured/dead/families. often it is cheaper to simply suppress a mistake with money and settlements that mute the plaintiffs.

Cerise

I have 2 Camrys, though they are older models, and have never had a problem. They've both run flawless. Just the usual mechanical maintenance. They're awesome cars!

Cerise

My 1996 (yes, I did say older) has a little built-in plastic hook, down by the trunk release and gas door release on the floor, that attaches to a corresponding hole in the factory driver side floormat to keep it in place. Plus, the floor side of the mats have many rows of pointy plastic teeth to keep it from moving around on the carpet.

Cerise

I have driven a couple of vehicles where the floormat sliding around was a problem, but seems like the issue was an aftermarket floormat that didn't fit the floor pan area properly.