Happy Birthday Altron

unclehobart

*puts on the obligatory cone shaped festive hat*

*throws a pinch of blue confetti in a lackluster arc*

*demands a diabetes defying corner piece of the cake with triple icing*

Altron

Yay!
My first non-banned OTC birthday, kinda sad, considering I've been here three and a half years...

I'm off to go to the DMV to take a test that should be easy, then I have a driver's license, not a student permit.

Hmmm... this also marks a sad occasion... I only have a year left to rob banks before I am a legal adult and they can put me in jail... :(

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron said:
I'm off to go to the DMV to take a test that should be easy, then I have a driver's license, not a student permit.

Hmmm... this also marks a sad occasion... I only have a year left to rob banks before I am a legal adult and they can put me in jail... :(

1. Cool!!!
2. If your smarter then the cops, it doesn't matter how old you are does it? :shrug: (Note, don't try this at home...)

*party2*
Happy Birthday.

Altron

so i go to the stupid dmv

the firstt thing thay have you do ios paralle park

seems completely fucking retarded to me... being that we are in the fucking suburbs, and y7ou have to drive fucking 5 miles to find a place where you can paralle park.
so i go into the space. there isnt a fucking curb. just one of those little trapezoidal barriers they put at the end of parking spaces. i go to pull in, did it a little sloppy on the account of being very nervous, so i tap the barrier. oh shit i thought. so i pull foreward, then back a little, and get it alright. the rest of the course is fucking retarded too. it's pretty much stopping fully at stop signs and driving the speed limit even when the speed limit is stupidly slow and every other fucking car is 10mph faster than you. that's it. i get back and the guy is like 'you failed, come back in two weeks. you hit the curb when parking'

fucking great. i feel so fucking safe on the roads knowing that all someone needs to get a liscense is to know how park. you dont need to know how to merge on the highway or how to switch lanes or anything. if you can parallel park and drive in a straight line at the speed limit for a half mile, you're golden.

dont even give you a second chance, or pass you if you tap the curb but take corrective action and end up in the right place. not that i could understand the dmv retard that well, since he had no fucking teeth. guess semen has a negative effect on the gums.

Professur

Quit bitching and do it right next time. If your tire hits the curb, how many feet of that land yacht would be over it? There's a reason it's called a test.

Altron

Professur said:
Quit bitching and do it right next time. If your tire hits the curb, how many feet of that land yacht would be over it? There's a reason it's called a test.

From the angle I was at, perhaps a half of a square foot. That's why I turned and went foreward to correct it, so that none of it was over.

The test to me seemed to be 'Let's see how many people we can fail'. Having inexperienced new drivers do a pretty complex parking manuver. Then a course with lots of tricks that you won't notice, like 'No turn on red' even though it would have been pretty safe and easy to turn. Then teaching the whole idea of 'Don't go a single mph over the speed limit' which would be nice, if everyone did it. Sure, it's usually a good idea, but if you're on a road and the limit is 55mph and everyone is going 65mph, going 55mph is more dangerous than going 65mph.
If I were the one designing the test, I would have people go on the highway, merge, change lanes, then go in the exit ramp, and drive on 40mph roads with lots of turns and stoplights, then drive on 25mph roads without dividers or lights, then do several types of parking.

Professur

Altron said:
From the angle I was at, perhaps a half of a square foot. That's why I turned and went foreward to correct it, so that none of it was over.

The test to me seemed to be 'Let's see how many people we can fail'. Having inexperienced new drivers do a pretty complex parking manuver. Then a course with lots of tricks that you won't notice, like 'No turn on red' even though it would have been pretty safe and easy to turn. Then teaching the whole idea of 'Don't go a single mph over the speed limit' which would be nice, if everyone did it. Sure, it's usually a good idea, but if you're on a road and the limit is 55mph and everyone is going 65mph, going 55mph is more dangerous than going 65mph.
If I were the one designing the test, I would have people go on the highway, merge, change lanes, then go in the exit ramp, and drive on 40mph roads with lots of turns and stoplights, then drive on 25mph roads without dividers or lights, then do several types of parking.

And exactly how much would that test cost?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Around here we have to do TWO road tests. The first one you parallel park, road side stops (up and down hill), drive on one and two way streets, stop signs, yield signs, traffic lights, park in a regular parking spot...I don't remember the rest, it's been like five years...the second is generally all that again (they cut out bits and pieces depending on time and if you're already doing really well) and highway driving.

Essentially my licence adventure went like this:

-Written test to get permit (must have licenced driver in the front seat and not allowed on highways without licenced instructor in car)
-Driving school
-First road test
-Waiting like 3 years cause we had a minivan and I knew I couldn't parallel park it
-First try at second driving test which I failed cause of my own stupidity
-Second try at second driving test a month later which I passed with flying colours

Now, my question to you is this...why would you do your road test in a boat? Why not borrow a smaller car? They're so much easier to handle...learn to drive on the boat and do the test in a tiny car and you'll do so much better. Secondly, why would you do your driving test if you don't know how to do all the maneuvers you need? Do you guys not have driving school? Why don't you get an experienced driver to run through it with you...I BELIEVE that is the purpose of a permit...so you can learn to drive...when you get your full licence you're suppose to KNOW how to drive so saying "Why would they ask an inexperienced driver to do that?" is kinda self explanitory...cause getting your licence means you know how to drive...and park and generally operate a vehicle. And about the "tricks"...try driving in a city unfamiliar to you...the ultimate being Montreal, Quebec...and you'll see why it's SO important to beable to NOTICE signs which you don't expect to be there and why it's important to FOLLOW those signs. The "no turn on red" signs MAY seem silly...but I'm willing to be that they're there due to poor visibility or something else equally as dangerous. Driving in familiar territory is so much different than driving in new places and you have to be prepared for both.

I agree that your road test seems sort of...simple. Ours is pretty indepth, residental, industrial, different speeds, different types of roads and stops, etc. But, with that being said...if it's SO simple shouldn't it be that much easier to pass? Practice the stuff you need to know and when you've learned it go back. Good luck next time around.