Happy Birthday Altron

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Joyous celebration of the anniversary of your birth, and all kinds of stuff like that.

Don't rob banks or you hafta come see some asshole parole officer like me. That would suck.

Learn to spell parallel. :D

Kruz

Happy Birthday Altron...
dont worry, you'll have plenty of time to get your parking down pat. :swing:

Altron

I was parking fine the night before, if I had kept my cool and not gotten nervous I could have done it fine.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I still maintain you shouldn't do it in a boat...or with a goat for that matter :lloyd:

Altron

Went back two weeks later. Nailed that parking space to the wall. It was easy, probably because the cones are six feet from the curb, 25 feet apart. When I practiced, I forgot the measuring tape, so the cones ended up being too far away from the curb and too close together, leaving me with a solid three feet that I wasn't used to having. Not to mention I had been ending up 18" away from the curb practicing, but since my cones were off, it was 6" away in the test. Then it's a three-point turn to pull out, then a left turn on a two lane road, two consecutive right turns on 'no right on red' lights, even though from what I saw, taking a right wouldn't be dangerous whatsoever, it's to trick people. Then after the two right turns, you need to go in a straight line on a 25mph road that should have been 40mph. By the end, there were like six cars right behind me, looking really pissed off, and trying to pass me. Oh, the joys of not speeding. Then it's a right turn with a stop sign onto a two-land road with poor visibility (big buildings on either side, less than 6 feet from the road). Then another straight shot down a 25mph two lane road, another right turn at a light, then another straight shot down the 25mph two-land road that the test started on, then a left turn into the DMV parking lot. I spent much more time waiting in line at the DMV than I spent taking the actual test.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
Went back two weeks later. Nailed that parking space to the wall. It was easy, probably because the cones are six feet from the curb, 25 feet apart. When I practiced, I forgot the measuring tape, so the cones ended up being too far away from the curb and too close together, leaving me with a solid three feet that I wasn't used to having. Not to mention I had been ending up 18" away from the curb practicing, but since my cones were off, it was 6" away in the test. Then it's a three-point turn to pull out, then a left turn on a two lane road, two consecutive right turns on 'no right on red' lights, even though from what I saw, taking a right wouldn't be dangerous whatsoever, it's to trick people. Then after the two right turns, you need to go in a straight line on a 25mph road that should have been 40mph. By the end, there were like six cars right behind me, looking really pissed off, and trying to pass me. Oh, the joys of not speeding. Then it's a right turn with a stop sign onto a two-land road with poor visibility (big buildings on either side, less than 6 feet from the road). Then another straight shot down a 25mph two lane road, another right turn at a light, then another straight shot down the 25mph two-land road that the test started on, then a left turn into the DMV parking lot. I spent much more time waiting in line at the DMV than I spent taking the actual test.

Congrats...if it's 25MPH it's probably a school zone no? Man, I drive 10km/hr over everywhere else but not in school zones...they fine HEAVY in school zones around here.

Altron

Nixy said:
Congrats...if it's 25MPH it's probably a school zone no? Man, I drive 10km/hr over everywhere else but not in school zones...they fine HEAVY in school zones around here.

Nope... it's 25mph so the police don't run out of donut money. NO one goes below 35 on those roads. Thus the six angry cars behind me, stuck going the same speed as me, which was 25-27mph.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Altron said:
Nope... it's 25mph so the police don't run out of donut money. NO one goes below 35 on those roads. Thus the six angry cars behind me, stuck going the same speed as me, which was 25-27mph.

HEY! birthday is over attention whore!!!!!

JOKE JOKE JOKE

Altron

Go get the vaseline...

Insurance went from $200/yr for the land yacht to be insured for my dad to drive to $1250/yr for it to be insured for me to drive. How they can get away charging the value of the car per year for insurance is beyond me.

Altron

It's a statistic that women get in more accidents than men. It's just that men get in much more interesting and dangerous accidents.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Males have more & more expensive accidents (it's in our genes too Inky)...although, thru anecdotal evidence, on the open road, women drive MUCH faster.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Altron said:

I do 60km/h on 30km/h streets, 80km/h on 40km/h streets, 100 where it says 60 and around 140 where it says 100.

And I often get passed by someone who is in a hurry.

HomeLAN

Altron said:
Go get the vaseline...

Insurance went from $200/yr for the land yacht to be insured for my dad to drive to $1250/yr for it to be insured for me to drive. How they can get away charging the value of the car per year for insurance is beyond me.

That's because they're charging for the potential injuries you'll inflict on the busload of nuns you will inevitably plow into soon. Liability coverage for teenagers is fucking expensive, and that's because statistics, in this case, do not lie. You guys just fuck up more. :shrug:

Unless you're carrying collision coverage (which you shoul not, unless you have a loan out on it), damage to your car ain't their problem.

Altron

HomeLAN said:
That's because they're charging for the potential injuries you'll inflict on the busload of nuns you will inevitably plow into soon. Liability coverage for teenagers is fucking expensive, and that's because statistics, in this case, do not lie. You guys just fuck up more. :shrug:

Unless you're carrying collision coverage (which you shoul not, unless you have a loan out on it), damage to your car ain't their problem.

I doubt I have collision coverage. It's a cheap car, and if anything goes wrong, I should be able to get parts cheap, and if I can't, I'll take the sweet wire rims and the nice CD player and move on.

Just went to the gas station, $40, 16-17 gallons to go from just over a quarter tank to full. Well, I think a quarter tank. Tank's in the ballpark of 20-25 gallons, and the gauge isn't all that accurate. If I hit the gas, I lose like a quarter of a tank, then if I slow down, the gas magically reappears. If I turn right, a quarter of a tank disappears then comes back. If I turn left, I gain a quarter of a tank then lose it. When it's full, the gauge reads 125% full. I've also had the gauge read below empty, but the car ran fine and the 'Gas is Low' light didn't come on. Gas is a shot in the dark, although my mileage wasn't bad. I went 243 miles on 16-17 gallons. I filled it up in North Jersey, went to Westchester, drove around a little, when went back to South Jersey and drove it around sparingly for about two weeks. So that's ~2 weeks of driving and 2/3 of a 250 mile road trip on $40... not bad at all. Especially considering that I need to warm up the engine and rev it a little for about two minutes before I can go anywhere, either that or punch it while putting it in drive so that it doesn't stall. I really should buy a new fuel pump, it's original equipment, and the car is two months older than I am. Apparantly it should be really cheap to replace, since it's carbureted and the pump isn't as fancy as fuel injection.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Dude, that is hella expensive...I'll only be paying about $1800 for full coverage on a brand new car (when I get a job and a car)...