HELP! Networking...

Aunty Em

OK, I received my linksys router with 4 port ethernet switch this afternoon and have configured the computers and the router so that both computers can now surf via the router and modem.

But I'm having trouble setting up my LAN.

I went into "my network places" and double clicked the home network wizard, but it says it can't find netconn.exe. I've tried both 2K discs but still no joy. Can anyone tell me where exactly it's supposed to be?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Probalby either windows/system/drivers or windows/system32/ That's just a guess, I'm not at my 2k machine.

chcr

Too cute for words
Do yourself a favor and skip the wizard. Right click My Computer, then Properties. Select the Network Identification tab, then click the properties button. Make sure each computer has a unique name but that the workgroup names are exactly the same and that the workgroup radio button is selected. Answer okay to get out. Next right click My Network Places, then properties, then right click Local area connection and properties. Now highlight Internet Protocols (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button. There should be a Default Gateway (the IP of your router) and Obtain an IP address automatically should be selected. I think Obtain DNS server address automtically should also be selected unless your ISP tells you different. Finally, Make sure File and Printer Sharing is checked, and that you are sharing at least one file on each computer. I always check "Show Icon in taskbar..." so I can tell at a glance if the network is down, but it isn't necessary. Click okay on everytheng and you should be up and running. (he said confidently).

I'd do it manually, but thats just me :D Hmm.. i can't find it in XP, gotta fire up a win2k rig downstairs now, back in a min :D

It must be a command embedded or linked to a dll or something like that aunty, can't find the file itself. Try setting it up manually.

Aunty Em

I must be doing something wrong 'cos I can't seem to sort it out at the moment... guess I better read that book on networking I got a while back...

PT

If you've got the internet access going through it now, and it's working, then your problem is probalby just the shared files. Are you sure you have the folders or drives or files shared that you want shared?

Aunty Em

In a word... No...

I've added file and printer sharing to for microsoft networks in 2k. But I'm not sure how to share files and I can't find the info in help.

PT

Open up My Computer, then right click on the C: Drive. One of the options should be Sharing...

Click on it, then click on the radio button beside Share this drive. It will probably share it as C, but you can change that to whatever you want.

Aunty Em

I've done that on both computers but when I click on computers near me in my network places I keep getting told that the network is not accessible.

The main one is 2K and the other is Me btw.

PT

Me? As in Windows ME? Ok, I think I know your problem. Any chance of putting 2k on there? Me is really shitty for networking, I had a bunch of trouble trying to get a laptop running ME to talk to my network too.

catocom

yep I have seen on some network configs with xp,
that if you don't have anything shared, the whole comp won't
show up, and on 2000 sometimes you have to create new shares without the $ symbol.
If you have a ME, or 98 machine, you need to login as the same
user as on the 2k, or xp machine, or setup special account for the
98, or ME machine on the xp, or 2000 machine.

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
Me? As in Windows ME? Ok, I think I know your problem. Any chance of putting 2k on there? Me is really shitty for networking, I had a bunch of trouble trying to get a laptop running ME to talk to my network too.
Damn! That's my game machine.... :(

It's dual booted with linux. I don't know if my games will work in 2k, most of them are years old....

Try enabling netbios over tcp ip, might work, its in one of the advanced properties of tcp/ip. I've had alot of troubles with ME and 2k/XP systems as well, its a horrible OS all round :D

Aunty Em

Cheeky sod! :p

Wing commander prophecy
The daedelus encounter
Azreal's tear
Half life
Alpha centauri
tmek
Incoming
Battlezone
Rama
Trickstyle
Quarterback
25th anni edition startrek judgement rites
Tombraider III
X-wing
Tye-fighter

PT

Actually 2k released a bunch of compatiblity fixes since it first came out that make alot of those older games run. I had the same problem when I first installed 2k, but most all my games run now. The user thing that catacom mentioned would be the first thing I'd try though, most people just bypass logging in to an ME machine, that may do the trick for you.