HELP! Networking...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
by the way, you don't have to be logged on as the same user on both machines, just have users set up with the same username. Password too if you use them.

Aunty Em

I don't play games much... honest!

In fact I've hardly played TR and HL or Trickstyle... and Rama can be a right pain in the bum!

Aunty Em

I s'pose I'll just have to get rid of some of them... probably long overdue anyway...

Rama doesn't play... :(

Aunty Em said:
I s'pose I'll just have to get rid of some of them... probably long overdue anyway...

Rama doesn't play... :(

Could always make a small 5gb or so partition and dual boot 98SE, or even give 98SE a go before going to 2k, its actually better than ME ya know :lol2:

catocom

I don't have any problems with my 98 machines networking
with my 2000 machines. I'd rather not have all the other
crap that comes with ME, like the movie thing, and the sys restore thing,
and a few others. That's also why I don't like xp-home, among the
spy crap.

chcr

Too cute for words
I have a couple ME machines in my office network, they seem to work fine. Are you sure your on the same subnet? If your router is 192.168.0.1, then your computers both have to be 192.168.0.x to work. You can check the IP (I'm assuming your router assigns them) by typing ipconfig in a command prompt window. You can type it at the run line, but I can't read that fast. In ME I think it's winipcfg to briing up an info window. You might try renewing them too. In 2K type ipconfig/release (releases the one you have), then ipconfig/renew (grabs a new one). In ME, there'll be a button in the info window to release/renew. Hope this helps Aunty.

You can try making static ips as well.. though i dunno if this problem is due to the networking or permissions, leaning toward permissions or some missing/minconfigged protocol..

Aunty Em

chcr said:
I have a couple ME machines in my office network, they seem to work fine. Are you sure your on the same subnet? If your router is 192.168.0.1, then your computers both have to be 192.168.0.x to work. You can check the IP (I'm assuming your router assigns them) by typing ipconfig in a command prompt window. You can type it at the run line, but I can't read that fast. In ME I think it's winipcfg to briing up an info window. You might try renewing them too. In 2K type ipconfig/release (releases the one you have), then ipconfig/renew (grabs a new one). In ME, there'll be a button in the info window to release/renew. Hope this helps Aunty.
I installed 98SE and updated it overnight.

I checked the ip addresses and they are both ok XXX.XXX.X.100 and XXX.XXX.X.101.

I think I need someone to walk me through exactly what I need to do to create the network... this is obviously the first time I've done this. :D

My IP uses dynamic addressing so DHCP is enabled... no static addresses.

Aunty Em

OK.

I went here and read this guide for beginners. I then followed the instructions for setting up a network on each computer.

98SE is now showing the computer it is on in "network neighbourhood" and is sharing the folders I have set to share. But is not showing 2K in the network... see photo.

2K is not showing anything in "NN", so I assume the problem lies with 2k but I need some help to sort it out..... PLEASE.

Perhaps there is a service disabled? If I knew which ones were necessary I could check.

Aunty Em

Whenever I try to open either it says it's not accessible. :shrug:

I've ordered a crossover cable to see if they will network on their own... it's always possible that the switch is faulty.

The only other alternative I can think of is to format and reinstall 2k, and then see if they will network...

Ok, go to run and type in this : \\computername (the name of the puter your're trying to connect to, and see if you can access the computer. If that fails, type the same but the name of the computer you're on itself and see if it sees itself.

Just a helping pic to guide, thats me typing in the command to access my computer named 'server' alternatively, you can type in the IP addres of the computer, so if the computer you want to connect to has an ip of 192.168.0.2, type \\192.168.0.2 instead of the name. Try both. I can connect to my server using either the name or the ip, as in the attachments shown.

Attachments

• smacked.JPG
    smacked.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 2
  • smacked2.JPG
    smacked2.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 2

Aunty Em

Justintime said:
Just a helping pic to guide, thats me typing in the command to access my computer named 'server' alternatively, you can type in the IP addres of the computer, so if the computer you want to connect to has an ip of 192.168.0.2, type \\192.168.0.2 instead of the name. Try both. I can connect to my server using either the name or the ip, as in the attachments shown.

I get "network path was not found" when trying to access the second computer, and I get this when accessing the one I'm on... does this mean the switch is faulty?

Aunty Em said:
I get "network path was not found" when trying to access the second computer, and I get this when accessing the one I'm on... does this mean the switch is faulty?

You're seeing yourself there, but do you have anything shared? Have you tried it via ip as well to access the other puter? I doubt its faulty, but somethings not setup right.. :S oh, try pinging the other computer via its ip address.

Aunty Em

Yes, I just went into my computer and shared my documents and my download files. But they are not accessible when I click on them...

It says the network path was not found... :mad: :frustrated:

Aunty Em

No, I haven't got the required items... that's why I ordered one, but I doubt it will be here before tomorrow at the earliest.