HELP

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My computer froze while using ICQ, ctrl-alt-del didn't work and after about 10min i restarted by holding the power button. When it restarted it just beeped alot (like constant even spaced beeping) i pushed an dheld the restart button again and have a couple times since but it says somethign about a GRUB and then it says that is is loading the GRUB and then i get an derror 22

I am on my rommate's machine atm

Earlier it was shutting down for no reason and one time i was sitting in front og it when it happened and i got a blue screen (same colour as blue screen of death) but SO much more writing and i coudln't read it cause it went away really fast

Mirlyn

Nixy said:
My computer froze while using ICQ, ctrl-alt-del didn't work and after about 10min i restarted by holding the power button. When it restarted it just beeped alot (like constant even spaced beeping) i pushed an dheld the restart button again and have a couple times since but it says somethign about a GRUB and then it says that is is loading the GRUB and then i get an derror 22

I am on my rommate's machine atm

Earlier it was shutting down for no reason and one time i was sitting in front og it when it happened and i got a blue screen (same colour as blue screen of death) but SO much more writing and i coudln't read it cause it went away really fast

Never heard "derror 22" but grub is a linux boot manager. Did someone try installing linux or something similar?

Do you have an XP (or 2000, whichever youre using) cd? Boot from it and go into the recovery console. It'll give you a command line interface similar to DOS. Log in and try "fixboot c:" This should rewrite your boot sector.

Not sure if this is the problem, but if you aren't loading windows at all, this might fix it. :)

(BTW: I'm at work (hard at work too ;) ) so no IM for me :()

Mirlyn

Mirlyn said:
I think its actually "fixmbr"

/is looking for a machine to try this

EDIT: still looking for a working machine (why is it every machine I'm finding lacks an installed hard drive?)....just my luck. I'm 99% sure thats the command. After you run it, you should be able to just type "exit" and it should reboot your machine and start working like it ought to.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
ummmm it's asking me to put the cd in drive a...this is after i get into setup anf hit f2 to go into restore or whatever

now it is stuck at the HP screen...

Mirlyn

Nixy said:
ummmm it's asking me to put the cd in drive a...this is after i get into setup anf hit f2 to go into restore or whatever

now it is stuck at the HP screen...
are they restore cds or actual windows cds...or do you know?

Mirlyn

by the way, you should be able to hit esc or tab to take off the hp splash screen and see what its doing (or trying to do)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
regualr cd....

ok i will...

right now it is trying to enter set up but not so much succeeding

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
after looking in setup it appears i have no primary master harddrive...:lloyd:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
and no CD rom atm (but it was working earlier)

nothing on the promary ios showing

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
mirl, you can let the setup start and then choose to repair the HDD instead of doing the dos way. specially if its w2k. makes it easier than remembering the commands. it should ask if you want to repair a installed windows. but nix if it isnt finding your HDD you may be hosed. press escape to see if bios is even finding a hdd. if not could be either bios on board is toast or hdd is.

Mirlyn

Nixy said:
regualr cd....

ok i will...

right now it is trying to enter set up but not so much succeeding

On most of the hp's I've worked with, I can turn them off, then turn them back on and hit esc and when they're done posting, they'll give a menu thing where you can choose which drive to boot from.

I'm not exactly sure which type of cd you have. If these are restore cds, you'll have a tough time because they're usually not actual windows files, but really images of them. If its an actual windows cd you can boot right off the cd like any other XP/2000 cd.

Here's how to tell: If you boot off the cd and it gives you a blue screen with a white line across the bottom and is flashing files by saying something like "loading blah blah", its a real windows cd. If it gives you some kind of menu, or imaging screen, its an OEM restore cd.

If you cant get it to boot from cd, or the cd is a restore cd, you can try the boot disk set available from MS.

There are links to microsofts site to download the boot disk images here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Note that 2000 takes four floppy disks (as I remember). XP uses six.

Mirlyn

samcurry said:
mirl, you can let the setup start and then choose to repair the HDD instead of doing the dos way. specially if its w2k. makes it easier than remembering the commands. it should ask if you want to repair a installed windows. but nix if it isnt finding your HDD you may be hosed. press escape to see if bios is even finding a hdd. if not could be either bios on board is toast or hdd is.

Repair completely reinstalles the windows directory. Recovery console gives you the ability to repair just the mbr, which might be the problem. ;) Plus its faster. If the recovery console doesnt' work for me, repair is the last option. Takes too long to do the repair, IMO.

Nixy, turn off the computer entirely and take out the battery to make sure. Then plug it all back in and try it again. Sometimes the bios gets confused and won't show anything.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
mirl thats what i was looking for. recovery console. i know it when i sees it just dont ask for the names.:) i have had to use it extensively for linux and w2k installs. damn mbr gets screwed alot with in those cases.
your right though the command line is quicker, but alot of the people i do stuff for dont know dos so i tell them the recovery console way.