Hockey

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, I don't really follow hockey but I do know the Leafs are on to the next round of playoffs! :headbang:

I also know that the New York fans who went to the games are INCONSIDERATE ASSHOLES! Where do you get off boooing another country's national anthem? I mean FUCK! I makes me SO mad! From what I read in the paper a few days ago supposidly there is a letter going to president Bush from the Canadian people demanding an apology. I am a proud Canadian, I don't need to boo the American national Anthem to show that why must they boo our National Anthem to show their patritism? :mad:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Glad you brought that up, Nix, I am baffled, hurt and angry about that too. Booing any country's anthem is just so WRONG!

[/siz]

sbcanada

They booed my country's nation anthem??!! :mad:

*calm down SB...... 1....2....3....4....5...6...7...* ;)

Damn good thing I didn't watch that on TV, I only caught the last minute of the game.

If anything, we should boo their anthem because of that friendly fire incident. :mad: ;)

sbcanada

Canada has 3 of the 4 teams left in the Eastern Conference playoffs. Meaning, Canada might get a team in the final round! :headbang:

greenfreak

Yes, NY fans are beyond nasty sometimes-par for the course in this city. They probably did it for the same reason the coach of the Lakers insulted the fans of the Portland Trailblazers last week-to psyche them out. Blazers wound up losing 3 straight playoff games. I'm not saying it was all because of that, but it definately riled them up.

As pissed as you are, think of how the players on the Maple Leafs felt at that, and how that might have affected their playing. Hey, considering they won, it might have helped. ;) I'm not saying they're justified, not at all, because they're not. I think it's stupid and disrespectful. But I don't know that sending a letter to the President is going to yield any results.

sbcanada

I don't care for an apology from George "dubya" Bush. I say boo the bastards right back. :D

Watch, I'll be in the back in the next game booing with a megaphone. :rofl2:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Just a bunch of ignorant boors I'm sure, not representative of any country, city or group, but :mad: anyway lol

I don't see a letter to the President helping at all either, greenfreak, given that it was a bunch of ignorant boors.

sbcanada

This is CNN breaking news![/siz]

*TV shows SB in the stadium with a megaphone at a Carolina Hurricanes game*

Apparently there was some rowdy Canadian with a megaphone screaming boooooooo! during the American national anthem.

*TV shows SB running down the freeway with a mob of 10,000 people chasing after him*

:D

ris

booing another countries anthem is just plain stoopid, but why demean yourself to their level - you just turning into an ignorant new yorker ;)

we get the same at rugby games between england and wales. both sets of fans will boo the others anthem, it's just damn stupid and now i turn anthems off the tv because i get so annoyed.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Honestly? I've always been taught to respect our allies, and to stand up and salute their national anthems. The general public is sadly lacking in even the respect for our OWN national anthem. Before 9-11, you could count the people with their hands over their hearts on one hand when our anthem was played. Of course, now that patriotism is trendy, you can actually see people shut their mouths when it's played. Sorry about their behavior, but this country has been so 'me, me, me' for so long, we're only just now relearning that other things are important as well.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
WWF had this as part of one of their "plotlines" for a good while last year, encouraged fans to boo our anthem which was the entrance music for whoever it was. Found it repugnant and infuriating. It's just not on, booing anthems. Would never dream of it myself.

We here don't have the tradition of hands on our hearts during the anthem, don't go in for the whole patriotic scene with flags waving, tears, cheering and the whole shebang, so others may get the impression that we don't love our country or care about the anthem, but we do. Deeply.

sbcanada

Originally posted by L. Summerton
encouraged fans to boo our anthem which was the entrance music for whoever it was.

I think it was Brett Hart, he was my favorite. I have two posters of him on my wall, and in between them is a Canadian flag. :D

ris

the problem in the uk is that 'god save the queen' is that:
1/ 3 of the 4 nations don't want it as their anthem
2/ the other nation isn't too keen on it
3/ it's a bit crap

there was genuine surprise a few years back when an england footy crowd outsung the band, and even started singing it during the game.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Not Brett Hart, it was those 2 blonde guys who were a tag team last year but aren't anymore, one is from Orangeville, On but they say Toronto, the other I dunno. (can you tell I pay attention? :laugh: ) was it Jericho? :confuse3:

sbcanada

It may have been... but Brett Hart always made them play the Canadian anthem when he got in the ring, before his opponent came out. :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I remember :) I also remember how hot he was :D ;)

I shall now sing God save the Queen. All rise, please...

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

sbcanada

O Canada!

Our home and native land!

True patriot love, in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise, the true north strong and free!

From far and wide, O Canada! We stand on guard for thee!

God keep our land, glorious and free!

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Did I mess up? :D :eek: