Houseplants?

What's the houseplant situation at your place?

• I have one around here somewhere...I think it's dead.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I have one or two and want more.

• I have several.

• It's like a jungle in here! If you listen carefully you hear pygmies.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Are you getting me? That's like a responsibilty, man...

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

tonksy

I am curious to know if you guys have houseplants or not and what kinds you like. I'll be attaching a poll so wait for it!
I am a houseplant freak and since the girls' toys have been moved to the playroom I am slowly turning the front room into my bright light houseplant room! I think it'll make a nice place to read a book or just relax in.
I got a chenille plant today and I am in love with it's funkiness! It has a nice trailing habit so i have it upon some wooden silver boxes.
chenilleplant2_093005151604.jpg

So whatcha got?

A.B.Normal

A couple of "less than healthy" Norfolk Pine and several little plants that come in ceramic birds that you just need to spritz .I think they're called Tillandsia(sp).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I have one which has lasted me like almost 5 years...I think I waited too long to water it this time though...normally it gets droopy, I water it, the next day it's all better...this time I may have waited a bit too long...it was yellowing when I watered it yesterday and it's not perky again yet :mope:

I've had many others over the years but they die within months (even if I don't forget to water them)...this one has been pretty tough up until now.

tonksy

Nixy said:
I have one which has lasted me like almost 5 years...I think I waited too long to water it this time though...normally it gets droopy, I water it, the next day it's all better...this time I may have waited a bit too long...it was yellowing when I watered it yesterday and it's not perky again yet :mope:

I've had many others over the years but they die within months (even if I don't forget to water them)...this one has been pretty tough up until now.
Maybe it needs repotting. What is it?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I have a goldfish plant, some English Ivies, Devil's Ivies,

and a potted stick I rescued from a garbage pile. It has a few leaves now, so I'm just waiting till it reveals what exactly it is. Also, some garlic in pots in the kitchen.

Most of my plants died off last year, I was in a darker home and they just were not happy. So, I very much want and plan to restart my jungle.

tonksy

Les, I have a measly little goldfish plant. It doesn't like something I'm doing. It's living but not growing and it leans...and not towards the light or anything, it just leans. How is yours?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
Maybe it needs repotting. What is it?

I dunno what it is and it DEFINATELY needs repotting...not cause if its size but cause the soil is hard like a rock...it's been like that for awhile but I was scared to change it cause it seemed to be happy there. I'll take care of that when I get back to my momma's this weekend.

It's just green leafs...no flowers.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
I have a goldfish plant

Think I can grab a snipping off that this summer if I make it up there? My mom had one but it died before I could get a snipping...I desperately want one.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
Les, I have a measly little goldfish plant. It doesn't like something I'm doing. It's living but not growing and it leans...and not towards the light or anything, it just leans. How is yours?
Mine was just a baby, but it's doing really well now. Dark deep green and lovely. The tabby thing says Bright Light inside, and filtered light outside. Mine's in a sunny window. Where is yours?

Also, it says allow soil to dry slightly between waterings to promote flowering.

tonksy

I let it dry out. Maybe it needs more light, I'll repot it and move it into the brighter room. Mine is just a baby. I got it as a clipping last spring.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I dug out my book. It says 59-70F, not direct sunlight, will NOT tolerate drafts

alex

Houseplants? Geez, I'm trying to kill all the plants around my house. Especially that pesky sticker vine that's growing in my front flower bed. Roundup doesn't even phase it.

tonksy

no :hmm:
So, Les, it sounds like I'm doing it right...perhaps it just spent all last year rerooting. I'll give it a nice new pot and a bit more sunshine...has yours bloomed yet?

Dave

we have several plants. 2 pothos, a hugh lilly plant, 3 bamboo, one fern that isnt doing too good, a jade plant and 4 or 5 others whose names excape me.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
no :hmm:
So, Les, it sounds like I'm doing it right...perhaps it just spent all last year rerooting. I'll give it a nice new pot and a bit more sunshine...has yours bloomed yet?
not yet, I have high hopes for summer given how it is right now.

I'm really good at the letting it dry out a little between waterings :D