Houseplants?

What's the houseplant situation at your place?

• I have one around here somewhere...I think it's dead.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I have one or two and want more.

• I have several.

• It's like a jungle in here! If you listen carefully you hear pygmies.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Are you getting me? That's like a responsibilty, man...

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

MrBishop

Lotsa greenery...especially in the dining room, where we have the largest window in the house (10 at last count, nearest the window plus two on the hutch). 6 plants (including a cacti) on the kitchen windowsill. A good sized aloe on the dining room table....close in case someone gets burned.

Its a running battle vs. the cats as to whether the plants will live or die. The pigmies moved out when they saw that my kid was bigger than they were :D

Spider-plants are very popular at my place...most of whom are the great,great,great,......grand-kiddlets of my grandmother's spider-plants.

tonksy

I love spider plants and would like a large one but I am too cheap to buy a big one. I have a small one that came from a knicked clipping from Kroger...well...it's not really knicked if it fell on the sidewalk below the plant, right? I also have a teensy one that i am trying to root that came from a yard sale I went to...I asked permission this time.

HomeLAN

I kill everything green that I touch. Want to kill off a plant, give it to me. The only thing I can't kill is kudzu, and even it lives in fear.

Dave

tonksy said:
I got a chenille plant today and I am in love with it's funkiness!

just saw the picture. (wouldnt load at work) that plant looks like it has dreadlocks.
never seen one of them. they allergic to the cold?

tonksy

I think so, they can be grown as an outside plant during the summer here but need to come in in the winter. I suppose that means there ain't no way you could leave one outside all year where you are.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
In our current situation, none.

Generally, we have a couple indoors and several in the yard. AE is the resident flower guru...whatever she wants within reason is fine by me, and she takes care of them. I mow around them. We have a reciprocal agreement about the garden.

Dave

might not be able to leave it inside either. my fern is dying because it gets too chilly at night in the house.

simplyred

I have a few plants, I know not what they are....I always almost kill them. My grandmother has such a green thumb she can make cardboard grow something pretty. She comes to save my plants before they die, and then brings more. *sigh* I love them, I talk to them, I water them, they hate me! The only one I keep alive is the airplane plant.

Dave

i used to kill every plant i touched too. now i just ignore them and try to remember to water them once in awhile and they do fine.

tonksy

Dave? my ferns don't do great because this house gets so dry. I have had success with a boston fern that i've placed near a sunny window and away from an air vent. Do you mist yours.
I can't grow ivy inside here for the same reason, just shrivels up and dies.
Red? If you are an overwaterer you could try a coleus. I can bring you a clipping if you like.

Dave

no, i dont. thanks for the tip.
now lets see if i can save that poor pathetic plant

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
Dave? my ferns don't do great because this house gets so dry. I have had success with a boston fern that i've placed near a sunny window and away from an air vent. Do you mist yours.
I can't grow ivy inside here for the same reason, just shrivels up and dies.
You get an empty (new) spray bottle, and mist them with water every day. Problem solved. Your goldfish plant would like that too, just lightly.

tonksy

Yeah, I do that with my plants, that's why i suggested it to dave...but the ivy just doesn't cut it. We also put large pots of water on the stove to boil quite frequently to add some moisture to the house.

Inkara1

It seems odd to me that it's so humid outside there, especially in the summer, but so dry in the house.

Professur

Amazing that a resident of the GWN has to explain the effects of AC to someone living in the Earthquake state.

woodman19_99

Ya know... it's funny... I voted for the responsibility one, but now that I think about it, I am going home tonight and setting up my Elmer Fudd Chia Pet, which I got for chirstmas, maybe, 4 years ago...