How do you like your CPU?

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
temps here vary from 50 ~ 63 on full load...with the fans on 5 V

if i switch them to 12V (which i never do because of the extreme noise) temps go down to a stable 42...no matter how huge the load is...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Today, my CPU is running at a happy 71 degrees C doing Genome. I'm afraid to shut it off to see what the idle temperatures do, because usually when I do, it crashes from expansion/contraction stress, but I've seen it as low as 60.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Your LOW is 60?!?!?!?!?!?

Damn, do you just heat your room with that thing?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
fury, PM me with the details of what you need. I can't stand the thought of your computer dying and us having problems while you're unavailable...:D

tommyj27

Not really Banned
my desktop (xp1600+) is always under load and runs 51-56C depending on the time of day and temperature of the house. my laptop and router are to ghetto to monitor

Professur

Fury, I think his entire setup cost about $10. Email him to be sure, but I seem to recall his waterblock being nothing more than a brass 90 degree fitting apoxied to the CPU.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't that be a bit, umm... risky?

If I'm reading your post correctly, there's nothing but a pipe epoxied to the CPU? :eek:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I would think there'd have to be a pretty high water flow, too, in order to remove the heat quick enough. Most water cooling kits have zig-zagging tunnel waterblocks that maximize heat removal, much like good heatsinks have lots of surface area.

Aunty Em

fury said:
I would think there'd have to be a pretty high water flow, too, in order to remove the heat quick enough. Most water cooling kits have zig-zagging tunnel waterblocks that maximize heat removal, much like good heatsinks have lots of surface area.

Aww shit, just slap in a car radiator and fan, that should do the trick. :D

dan

how does one tell what temperature thier cpu is at?? i'm guessing it's software, cos sitting with a thermometer inside your case would be a little weird...

actually, that could be kinda cool with a clear case...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
You have to fiddle around with the temperature sensors. Go to the settings, and into the Temperatures box, then for Sensor 1, set it to use board sensor x where x is you trying each of the listed sensors (waiting at least 10 seconds between each try to make sure it updates) until you find the sensor with the highest temperature.

dan

fury said:
You have to fiddle around with the temperature sensors. Go to the settings, and into the Temperatures box, then for Sensor 1, set it to use board sensor x where x is you trying each of the listed sensors (waiting at least 10 seconds between each try to make sure it updates) until you find the sensor with the highest temperature.

ooh! like that!

they say 24, 32 and 56 degrees and the thing hasn't done anything all day...

no idea if that's good or not :confuse3: