How do you take the cover off of an Intellimouse Explorer

fury

Administrator
Staff member
If you wanna get REAL detailed, it only took 15 minutes after an engineering student told me where the screws are to fix it! Yay for engineering students! :beerbang: Yay again for hot ones. :brow:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
:beerbang: for Engineering students!!!

Didn't even NEED to two computer techs! If ya got yourself an engineering student you're all set!!!:laugh5:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
next question, anyone ever swapped out the red led that points out the ass-end of these things for some more pleasing like a blueor green one?

MuFu

Yep. Find a comparable LED of the colour you want and just swap it. Easy.

I learnt it as part of my Elec Eng masters (not really).

:eyemouth:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Question, what would cause an Intellimouse Explorer to go bad? (No, not the same one that I fixed in this thread, that one was fine.)

Cause the box that UPS dropped it off in looked torn up all the way to hell. I think it might've been busted during transit.

I plugged it in, and my computer goes into suspend mode... I turn it back on and it takes like 15 seconds to detect it (normally my system detects that a new USB device has been installed within 2 seconds). Now whenever I move it it jerks halfway around the screen as if I've got the mouse settings on 10x the highest acceleration level.

I popped it open and cleaned out the inside but that didn't help any. I rebooted too, just in case it was the driver that went nuts, but that wasn't it either. Does the same thing on my desk, my mouse pad, and a white piece of paper.

If I stick my finger under the optical eye it starts to move normally, and then I can put it down on my mousepad or white piece of paper but after a few seconds it goes nuts again.

Mirlyn

fury said:
Question, what would cause an Intellimouse Explorer to go bad? (No, not the same one that I fixed in this thread, that one was fine.)

Cause the box that UPS dropped it off in looked torn up all the way to hell. I think it might've been busted during transit.

I plugged it in, and my computer goes into suspend mode... I turn it back on and it takes like 15 seconds to detect it (normally my system detects that a new USB device has been installed within 2 seconds). Now whenever I move it it jerks halfway around the screen as if I've got the mouse settings on 10x the highest acceleration level.

I popped it open and cleaned out the inside but that didn't help any. I rebooted too, just in case it was the driver that went nuts, but that wasn't it either. Does the same thing on my desk, my mouse pad, and a white piece of paper.

If I stick my finger under the optical eye it starts to move normally, and then I can put it down on my mousepad or white piece of paper but after a few seconds it goes nuts again.

The first revision of the IntelliMouse Explorers would short out at the kink near the top of the mouse (where the wire exited the case). Moving this wire so the kink was in another place would solve the problem temporarily, that is, until another short would develop (due to that sharp bend).