How's your garden doing?

Dave

We got all the planting done last week. All the perennial flowers are in. Have the vegetable garden all planted.
We put in 3 types of tomatoes, cukes, eggplant, summer squash, peas, beans, green peppers and jalapenos. Was going to expand the veggie garden but my back put that on hold till next year.
Now its just remembering to water it and waiting.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Non hybrid tomatoes.

The sprouts are best when they're on the stalk during the first major frost. Although, they aren't particualarly better tasting than the frozen variety.

valkyrie

We got all the planting done last week. All the perennial flowers are in. Have the vegetable garden all planted.
We put in 3 types of tomatoes, cukes, eggplant, summer squash, peas, beans, green peppers and jalapenos. Was going to expand the veggie garden but my back put that on hold till next year.
Now its just remembering to water it and waiting.
Watering is always the challenge for me too. It seems that no matter how I design the irrigation the heads get clogged. We have a well and the water that gets pulled from it often has a small amount of silt in it. Its either the silt or the pressure isn't constant so not all of my beds get watered (or the water shoots off it's mark and still... the plants don't get the water it needs).

I'm trying soaker hoses this year but it's 3 soaker hoses end to end. Without the little, blue, rubber thing between the 1st hose and the 2nd, all the water runs to the end hose and soaks that part and not the first part. With the little, blue, rubber thing between the 1st hose and the 2nd, it takes a long time to soak the 2nd and 3rd areas. I'm not completely sold on the soaker hoses, plus I've already had to repair one that bent and split.

Any suggestions?

valkyrie

Non hybrid tomatoes.

The sprouts are best when they're on the stalk during the first major frost. Although, they aren't particualarly better tasting than the frozen variety.
The sprouts were barely budding at first frost. I think I'm done with Brussels sprouts. I had heard they were far superior to frozen, but if you're saying "not so" then it's not worth my time/effort to try to get them to grow here.

I will continue to perfect my kohlrabi growing, though. That is one tasty veggie, and you can use the leaves also. I made a tasty stir fry with almost everything coming from my garden: kohlrabi stem, kohlrabi leaves, carrot, jalapeno (seeds removed), Swiss chard stems, Swiss chard leaves, peas, green beans, onion, and mushrooms (only thing not from my garden). Seasoned it with black pepper and nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce). Served it beside lemongrass chicken, with some rice. :headbng2:

Anyone good with growing mushrooms? I love mushrooms and I'm thinking of creating a mushroom garden on the East side of my house under shadow of the overhanging 2nd story porch.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
After the coldest July on record, we got our first tomato...on August 1. About 3 weeks late. Beans are coming on strong, okra is trying, cucumbers are confused-lots of flowers but few fruit.

Well my state's garden is the best in years. Fruits and veggies are wicked cheap. I am no organic-tofu-granola crunchin' fool, but organic peaches were on sale at Safeway for $0.98 a pound while the regulars were $0.99. I got a few ripe regs and a bunch of hard orgun-icks'. (inside joke with the missus). Can't beat that shit. No taste difference at all though, and they still weren't up to fruit stand standards, but they were still good.

MrBishop

My tomatoes are getting tall, and they've finally got some nice flowers on'em, and a few micro-tomatoes growing, but nuthin' that can be picked for a while yet, peppers are okay. Got one purple pepper picked, but the green ones are small. Cucumber plants are growing well, a few 1-2" long cukes growing, but still nothing. The grapes are the worst, and are barely holding on to dear life.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I just wanted to say that aside from 4 tomato plants growing in with the front flowers, I don't have a garden at all this year, so I am really enjoying reading and living vicariously through this thread.

JTP

Some people like okra fried, some boil it down to a slimy consistency. I prefer to either pickle it or use it fresh, chopped up in gumbo/ jambalaya. Pick 'em small- finger-sized- because they get tough and tasteless when much bigger than a finger.

catocom

I don't like boiled, but everybody else here does.
Mom just pickled several jars. I like pickled.

Mainly fried w/silver queen corn on top.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Fried....gumbo traditions are good but too many masking flavors. Never had it pickled (would like to try it)

Fry it with a cornmeal & flour combo.

catocom

got our first silver queen corn.
about 200 ears I think, on this haul.

got a couple of bushels of beans so far.