I´ve been dying to ask this question at HWC...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I hear the English version of DBZ is chopped as hell so that kids can watch it... makes me kinda sad, the least they could do is come up with better insults than "I'm gonna get you!" "Come and get me!" since they can't use cuss words, sexual slurs, call them hateful names in fits of anger, or show any spit-swapping scenes or any nice and juicy stuff like that. That pretty much covers it for making it acceptable to children according to most of the idiots out there that like to make big smear campaigns about the content on TV and try (usually successfully) to censor just about everything so they don't have to review programs before allowing their kids to watch them. Just adds to more irresponsibility and parental laziness which is something we already have plenty of, in America at least. But, I digress.

So, I wanted to see what the Japanese version of DBZ was like and I happened to catch a japanese/english-sub version on tape at a friend's house. First EVER DBZ episode I have seen that wasn't the FUNimation English version, and about halfway through the episode, Goku tells the old Kai something along the lines of "How bout I let you feel a real girl's tits and ass? Will you do it then?" (what the subtitle said) when they're debating on whether the kai should power up Gohan...

Surprised the heck out of me... I knew from many accounts of reading the same thing posted over and over again at DBZ forums at Infogrames that DBZ in Japan is much more mature, but I wasn't prepared for that kind of much more. Guess that's what I get for having lived with the result of the successful censorship of half the topics that would make TV shows interesting for a change. Jeez, you can't say Tits even on late night television nowadays without getting every feminist and their mothers on your ass about sexual slurs and to "Please think of the children!" :rolleyes:

Bink

LOL! :D

Yeah, I'd noticed that too in the Japanese versions of the DBZ movies I've got. I couldn't believe some of the things they said and did.

The censorship is a shame... damn shame.

Bink

One thing I thought was really weird in the Japanese version though, was the voices!

Piccalo usually has a major throat infection or something in the English version, his voice is so gruff. But in the Japanese version, I suspect his voice might be played by a woman! :eek: (as with a number of the other characters such as Goku and Gohan).

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I did happen to notice that too. Is it just a problem that they couldn't hire any people who could sound intimidating over there, or is that the way all Japanimators speak? No offense intended, of course, as I've never heard anyone speaking Japanese for very long, so I can't make an accurate assumption.

But it is kind of odd that even that wimp Krillin in the english version sounds scarier than Gohan in the japanese one, who is supposed to be the most powerful fighter in the universe.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Too bad about that. One thing, though. Since Superman is, no doubt, a wimp, I think the only character that could beat Goku would most likely be Galactus...
noflame.gif

Bink

Galactus? "It can't be! Such... POWER! Grrrrrrrr" :D

(You'd probably need to have watched some of the earlier episodes of DBZ to get that) ;)

Bink

Well, picture this.

A bunch of apes who look like humans running around grunting and grrr-ing until their hair turns golden, at which poing they proceed to severly bash all the bad guys (incidentally named after kitchen appliances) who always seem to want to destroy the Earth.

Throw in the occasional plot element and dangerous earth female, and you pretty much have DragonBallZ :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Keyrect. Galactus, eater of worlds, is the toughest SOB in the universe...known or unknown. A force of nature, even...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Binks, you forgot the part about it being filled with sex-crazed old men and egomaniacs with a hell of a last name (Mr. Satan) :eek: :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I just askedan expert, my 8 year old son. He says Goku...why...because.

Nuff said

Bink

Well that's settled then, no one knows better then an 8 year old when it comes to DragonBallZ vs Superman :D

spidey.gif
SaiyanSmilie_anim.gif