I HATE

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Vista.

Boss just bought 9 new computers for our office to run our new inventory program on, and they all Vista on them, and my first suggestion was to scrub em all and install XP or something (something being linux) and that was rejected. My second suggestion was rejected cause it is anatomically impossible. So now I am trying to get 9 new compaqs with vista up and running decent with all the deny allow crap...grrrr.

any suggestions to speed them up, or make life easier on people who use win98 cause XP is too new?

chcr

Too cute for words
Vista.

Boss just bought 9 new computers for our office to run our new inventory program on, and they all Vista on them, and my first suggestion was to scrub em all and install XP or something (something being linux) and that was rejected. My second suggestion was rejected cause it is anatomically impossible. So now I am trying to get 9 new compaqs with vista up and running decent with all the deny allow crap...grrrr.

any suggestions to speed them up, or make life easier on people who use win98 cause XP is too new?

Get a book?
Try this?
If they're all the same model computer, set one up, image the drive, then load that image on the rest.

I haven't had to deal with Vista yet because our accounting/POS software doesn't support it. I've heard that it's horrifying to set up though.

You might want to point out to your boss that nine out of ten IT professionals (including me) agree that early adopters of any new Windows operating system (early being the first 18-24 months) are screwed. Always, always, always wait for at least the second service pack. But you know that as well as I do, don't you. ;)

woodman19_99

jesus, vista has worked for me with absolutely no issues what so ever. All the permission stuff can be stopped by turning off the User Account Control feature. There really is no benefit to having that thing working...

chcr

Too cute for words
I am leaving it on, I have heard the phrase "But I wanted those smileys" too many times.

Turn it off, do your setup, turn it back on?

Oh, and it's screen savers rather than smileys here.

Employee: Why is my computer so slow? It didn't used to be so slow, I think I need a new one.

chcr: Here, let me have a look.

15 minutes (or more) later:

Employee: Hey, this is much better. What did you do.

chcr: Uninstalled all the non-business related bullshit that you've installed since you first started working here. Don't install it again.

Sometimes, some of them even listen.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'd be happy if I could just turn off the ARE YOU SURE???? "feature".

BeardofPants

As a not-native of winders related stuff, how do you turn off that god-awful prompt within IE when you hit an 'unsecure' site like gmail? It's fucking me off no end.

BeardofPants

Ok, will try that.
Another question: how do you stop that 'unsecure' business with regards to downloads. Last thing I need is downloading a large file for work only to be told that winders doesn't trust it. And do you know, if you click, the open-it-you-fucker bit up top, it says that it needs to re-send, and downloads it AGAIN. Only took 2 hours the first time! :grumpy:

chcr

Too cute for words
I just tell it to download the file and it does. Are you using XP or Vista. I don't have much experience with Vista.