I have a REALLY strange problem

TexasRaceLady

For some reason, I cannot get to this site thru my satellite 'net connection. I can get to every other place, but not this one.

I CAN get here thru my dial-up. This is weird.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Using your satellite connection, open a command line and type

tracert www.otcentral.com

you can post the results here (this would reveal your IP) or PM them to me.

Winky

I would require greater insight into the topology of your
internal network to further troubleshoot your issue Ma'am...

“Hey baby show me your topology and I’ll show you mine”

TexasRaceLady

I PM'd you the IP address to try. Let me know what happens.

This is what I got

This site has been newly reserved for one of our clients.

If you feel you have reached this page in error, then something is probably broken and we're working to fix it. If not, send an email to errors @ our domain name and it will be directed to our technician, fury. (He's actually the only one running the servers, so, any one of his mailboxes will do fine too.)

TexasRaceLady

Using your satellite connection, open a command line and type

tracert www.otcentral.com

you can post the results here (this would reveal your IP) or PM them to me.

This is what I got, Luis

Did you mean: tracert www.azcentral.com

host transfer imminent [Archive] - Off Topic Centralif you can't find the program you use, just use tracert (Windows) or traceroute ... Roundtrip time to www.otcentral.com, average = 109ms, min = 82ms, ...
www.otcentral.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4278.html - 6k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

signature issues [Archive] - Off Topic Central... sig size guideline (http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10719). ..... Love to do the tracert but im on my work PC, which also means no cache ...
www.otcentral.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-16395.html - 51k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.otcentral.com ]

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 2 already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.

Did you mean to search for: tracert www.azcentral.com

Luis G

Staff member
Thanks for the revision, Luis. I'm a real techno dummy. :)

Followed your outline --- got this
unable to resolve target system name www.otcentral.com

My satellite can't find it?

Yes, it means that the DNSs aren't resolving the name properly. It seems some people are having the same problem.

On your dialup you are able to get to the site because it uses different DNS to resolve. To solve the problem you could try using public DNS but that might slow down your internet experience since the resolving is done far away. A public DNS can be found at http://www.opendns.com/ it also has instructions for setting it up.

chcr

Too cute for words
I didn't know anyone else was having the problem. It definitely sounds like a DNS problem but it's still possible that your favorites link is looking for an old or a wrong IP. What news on did you try typing in www.otcentral.com? What news on www.xibase.com?

chcr

Too cute for words
It has to be the satellite's DNS server, doesn't it? I'd email tech support myself.

TexasRaceLady

I did the trace on my dial-up.

The final line that came up was the IP you sent me, chcr. But the www addy was some called Rise of Tyrants.com

Now, something equally weird. If I get in here through dial-up, then disconnect, I can stay here. Read all the threads, post, and even edit --- as I'm doing now.

Wonder if I got out of bed on the wrong side?

chcr

Too cute for words
Fury's gameserver, no doubt. I'd email the satellite ISP and ask them what's wrong with their DNS server. Put the ball in their court and let them troubleshoot it for you.

Winky

No!!!

This young lady hasn't adequately defined her issue!

who can tell me the proper IP for otcentral?

72.9.154.142 nope... http://72.9.154.142/

the issue isn't on her side its Fluffies noob setup

Luis G

Staff member
AFAIK, several sites are hosted on the same IP, just under different directories.