i'm collecting people's meatloaf recipes, help!

BlurOfSerenity

in a recent discovery that meatloaf recipes are, in a way, similar to folktales (everyone has a different version, and they tend to be passed down through generations), i've decided to collect as many as i can.
but i only want good ones. i dont want people to paste me random ones out of cookbooks or off websites. i want YOUR meatloaf recipe. the one you've trusted. maybe your mom gave it to you. maybe you got it off the back of a random ad in the mail. i want it.

i eventually want to compile them all together and... from there i dont know. i considered making little booklets of all the recipes free of charge. i'm at the very least going to archive them on my site... i even made a special page for it,
http://meatloaf.batwing.org .

i'll be highly surprised if no one here has a kickass meatloaf recipe :p

so share, share!
also share the source of the recipe, and any related stories or sentemental thingies.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I have THE kickass meat loaf recipe, and will gladly share it upon my return home. It came from the best source known to mankind for good cooking...one of those little cookbooks country churches put together and sell to raise funds for whatever purpose. Them little old Southern church ladies can DO some cookin'!

Professur

You're right about those church cookbooks. The little church up at the cottage does that, and ..... damn.

'Fraid I don't have a meatloaf recipe, Ash. Wasn't something that crossed our table.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
My mom used to put a can of Campbell's Condensed Vegetable Soup in it. I didn't like it myself, but everyone else who had it seemed to love it.

I have a bunch of church cookbooks, and a Mennonite cookbook. Love 'em.

HomeLAN

Don't really have a recipe with measured quantities, etc. However, the basics are ground beef, 1-2 eggs, bread crumbs to desired consistancy, and Worchestire sauce. You MUST have that last one.

Uki Chick

HomeLAN said:
Don't really have a recipe with measured quantities, etc. However, the basics are ground beef, 1-2 eggs, bread crumbs to desired consistancy, and Worchestire sauce. You MUST have that last one.

Those are definitely the main ingredients in mine as well. I also add tomato sauce and a bunch of spices (thyme, basil, rosemary).

I haven't had any complaints yet!

MrBishop

We dont' do meatloaf...but I can share my 'tourtierre' recipie if that'd help. :shrug:

It came from my paternal great-grandmother

Inkara1

All the Meat Loaf you need:

meat_loaf_bat_out_of_hell_front.jpg

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I'll see if my momma uses a written down recipe or just eyeballing when I go home this weekend :)

If it's a recipe I'll post it, I would guess that if it is it was passed to her by her mom :)

BlurOfSerenity

uki chick - do you have the recipe for that?
bish - i dont know what that is, but i am curious to see it
inky - lol!
nixy - tanx :)

i'm actually coming to discover that meatloaf has its largest following in america

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
*has never cooked a Mennonite*

To bad, I was gonna suggest you come visit me, we have a mennonite church down the road (yes, in the middle of Hamilton) bet it'd be easy pickin's on a Sunday morning :lloyd:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
too funny :D

this is it here

Mccookbk.jpg

Mary Emma Showalter has compiled favorite recipes from hundreds of Mennonite women noted for their excellent cooking. Tantalizing dishes brought to this country directly from old Dutch, German, Swiss, and Russian kitchens. Original directions like ‘a dab of cinnamon’ or ‘ten blubs of molasses’ have been standardized to help you get the same wonderful individuality and flavor. Showalter introduces each chapter with her own nostalgic recollection of cookery in grandma’s day—the pie shelf in the springhouse, outdoor bake ovens, the summer kitchen. Beautifully illustrated with color photographs and drawings by Naomi Nissley.