I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry...

tonksy

Reggie White (among others) is being inducted into the Football Hall of Fame. His widow will be making his speech and I know I'm going to cry.

On another note, Troy Aikman gets inducted today before the age of 40 and I am wondering how many times that has happened before.

Anyone else watching it?

True, but still! I believe this was the first year he was eligible. I mean, they just got aroung to inducting John Madden, for chrissakes.

That's what I meant. Montana was inducted the first year he was eligible too. He just played until he was older. I suspect that not too many players are inducted as young as Aikman simply because they generally aren't eligible until they're older. That's not to belittle Aikman's accomplishments. I would have loved to see him play longer but hell, it's a game. It's not worth risking your life over.

Re Madden, he was inducted on the strength of other accomplishments even though they'll deny it. He wasn't that great of a coach. He'd never have made it on just his coaching career.

I'm not sure I agree that he wasn't a great coach but I understand what you mean. I am glad to see him inducted, though. he has done a ton for the game.
Did anyone see the speech by the guy introducing Rayfield Wright? "Thou shall not touch Roger"....it was funny to me :D

tonksy said:
I'm not sure I agree that he wasn't a great coach but I understand what you mean. I am glad to see him inducted, though. he has done a ton for the game.
Did anyone see the speech by the guy introducing Rayfield Wright? "Thou shall not touch Roger"....it was funny to me :D
It was funny to me too, tonks. In answer to your question, I believe that Gale Sayers is the youngest inductee at the age of 34. Aikman is 39.

I'l like to give a damn. Really I would.

Naw, not really. Don't even have a clue who you're talking about.

chcr said:
Re Madden, he was inducted on the strength of other accomplishments even though they'll deny it. He wasn't that great of a coach. He'd never have made it on just his coaching career.

:p

The 1976 Oakland Raiders had thundered into the Super Bowl with a 13-1 regular-season record and a 2-0 mark in the playoffs. These AFC Champions would enter the Rose Bowl on Sunday afternoon, January 9, 1977, having won 12 games in a row.
:leghump:

John Madden went to Cal Poly, which is in San Luis Obispo, about hal an hour away from me. He played football there in the late 1950s.

In 1960, one of the two team planes crashed on the way back from a game at Toledo and it killed everyone on board; even though Madden wasn't on the team anymore, he knew most of the people that got killed. That plane crash is why he doesn't fly even now.

Aikman's speech was, by far, the most emotional .. I dropped a few tears, I'm not ashamed to say. I really wanted *more* from Reggie's wife but still, it was a nice tribute to Reggie.

No doubt! I got teary several times during his speech! 'Specially when he started talking to his momma.

Lucky you! I wanted to go this year but our vacation time frame did not allow it. Do you have to buy your ticket years in advance?

Good question! I probably need to look into that. I would guess that tickets would be on sale after the inductees are announced, but that's just a guess.

It's a good guess but I also know that, for example, Superbowl tickets are sold years in advance and it's tough titties if you aren't a fan of either team that goes the year you have tickets.

Back