Iraq Study Group verdict

freako104

Well now freak, aren't most Sri Lankans (including the TLF) muslims? I mean they don't have the same agenda as the middle-eastern terrorists but that isn't the question.

Maybe there is something basic to muslim philosophy that does encourage these kinds of acts. I suspect it's rather more to do with oppression and economics than religious beliefs myself, but I could be wrong.

I suppose if I cared that much about the answer I'd do the research and figure it out myself. After consideration though, I suspect that SnP is right and more terrorists are muslim, just not necessarily middle-eastern muslim.

Absolutely.

While I picked up the sarcasm in your post Chic, I think I will answer it with: No the TLF are politically based terrorists, they have nothing at all to do with Islamic beliefs nor Islamic fundamentalism

chcr

Too cute for words
While I picked up the sarcasm in your post Chic, I think I will answer it with: No the TLF are politically based terrorists, they have nothing at all to do with Islamic beliefs nor Islamic fundamentalism

I wasn't being sarcastic, freako. Even though they're politically motivated, are they or are they not muslim? I understood that the vast majority of Sri Lankans are (I could have that wrong, don't remember where I heard it now). Note also that despite what you may hear, middle-eastern terrorists are politically motivated as well.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Rudolph wrote that he spends 23 hours a day in his 7-by-12-foot cell, his only exercise confined to an enclosed area he described as a "large empty swimming pool" divided into "dog-kennel style cages."

"Using solitary confinement, Supermax is designed to inflict as much misery and pain as is constitutionally permissible," he wrote in a letter.

Yeah. We call it prison.

Now let's discuss the amount of misery and pain you inflicted on other people for awhile.

spike

I wasn't being sarcastic, freako. Even though they're politically motivated, are they or are they not muslim?

Apparently not.

Sri Lanka also enjoys significant religious diversity. Approximately 68% of Sri Lankan peoples are adherents of Buddhism. Theravada Buddhism is the predominant school, with distinctive sects such as Ramanna Nikaya, Amarapura Nikaya and Siam Nikaya being widely followed. Buddhism in Sri Lanka has been deeply influenced by indigenous faiths and traditions, as well as the influences of prevailing Buddhist schools in South East Asia. The ancient and famous Sri Dalada Maligawa or "Temple of the Tooth" is the principal Buddhist Temple in Sri Lanka, and by tradition houses the Tooth of Buddha. It is visited every year by millions of pilgrims. There are many other famous religious institutions in Sri Lanka that attract many visitors daily. Hinduism is practiced by 18% of the population, mainly from the Tamil community. Christianity is practiced by 7-8% of the population, especially by the Portuguese and Dutch Burgher people. While most Sri Lankan Christians are Catholics, there are also significant numbers who adhere to Dutch Reformed Church and the Anglican Communion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka#Demographics

chcr

Too cute for words
Hmm... hardly any muslims then. I wonder where I'm thinking of then.

Shoulda known, faithless buddhists anyway. :lloyd:

Thanks for the post, spike.

freako104

I wasn't being sarcastic, freako. Even though they're politically motivated, are they or are they not muslim? I understood that the vast majority of Sri Lankans are (I could have that wrong, don't remember where I heard it now). Note also that despite what you may hear, middle-eastern terrorists are politically motivated as well.

It came across that way so I thought you were being facetious there. I don't disagree that there are middle eastern terrorists who are politically motivated. Hell I would even daresay many of the Muslim ones have political motivations. RE: Sri Lanka: I don't know that most are Muslim, I haven't heard about that. I can accept Spike's post though I honestly do take Wiki with a bit of salt

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Notice that pols & leftists are saying we lost while those there (or recently departed) and not in either of those camps say we're progressing nicely. :shrug:

I guess the left didn't learn after Saigon fell.

freako104

I guess the right didn't learn after Saigon fell.

The problem with history is that nobody learns from it.

And as has been stated far too many times but is never learned

Learn from history or we are doomed to repeat it

spike

Notice that pols & leftists are saying we lost while those there (or recently departed) and not in either of those camps say we're progressing nicely. :shrug:

You're saying right wingers that are there are saying it's progressing nicely and left wingers that are there are not? That would hardly be surprising.

Although probably still wishful thinking. So I still would like to see a link to your stats.:laugh:

spike

wow that's a 9-11 photo, and since we know saddam had nothing to do with 9-11, you're post is just ideological wanking!

maybe next you could post some pics of willie horton or perhaps some pics of lenin as the red menace to really scare those housewives!

Willie Horton? :laugh:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I guess the right didn't learn after Saigon fell.

The problem with history is that nobody learns from it.

wow that's a 9-11 photo, and since we know saddam had nothing to do with 9-11,

What lesson does the right neeed to learn? That continuous bashing of policy, while in the middle of a war, lessens troop moral, encourages the enemy & makes the public wary of necessary continuance to ensure complete victory which will strengthen our alliance, thus making the world a more peaceful place? That lesson was learned. That's why the President got the left involved, asking them to vote, mandating authority to take action. They did vote & they also haven't shut up since.

Saddam may not have had anything to do with 9/11 but he was most certainly a sponsor of terror. He is not in that position now & we have a foothold in the middle east, which is where we're better off, geopolitically. Especially with Amajihadman screaming for th edeath of Israel while building nukes. Where is the UN during all this? Oh yea, they're picking our pocket while waiting for us to handle the problem.

spike

What lesson does the right neeed to learn? That continuous bashing of policy, while in the middle of a war, lessens troop moral, encourages the enemy & makes the public wary of necessary continuance to ensure complete victory which will strengthen our alliance, thus making the world a more peaceful place? That lesson was learned. That's why the President got the left involved, asking them to vote, mandating authority to take action. They did vote & they also haven't shut up since.

Saddam may not have had anything to do with 9/11 but he was most certainly a sponsor of terror. He is not in that position now & we have a foothold in the middle east, which is where we're better off, geopolitically. Especially with Amajihadman screaming for th edeath of Israel while building nukes. Where is the UN during all this? Oh yea, they're picking our pocket while waiting for us to handle the problem.

The right could learn that trying to scare the public into approving of a farce, wasting a trillion dollars of tax money, increasing terrorism, making the country less safe, killing tens of thousands of civilians, killing or maiming tens of thousands of US troops, and creating a big sinkhole of a mess instead of going after the enemy is going to come back to haunt them in a big way.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
War on terror...

saddam-supporter of terror...

Hey, we went after an enemy. Pretty cool, huh?

chcr

Too cute for words
What lesson does the right neeed to learn?

That the people will not continue to condone the throwing away of lives to no purpose. There was never any intention to "win" anything in Vietnam (you have read the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, right?) nor was there one this time. Wake up and smell what you're shoveling, huh?

Did you personally learn nothing from the election just passed?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I learned that it takes approximately 5 years of constant bashing & anti-administration propaganda before the American people tire of it.