Is chat dead?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Well, yesterday I found out that chat isn't dead, I ended up talking with a very nice lady, who would have thought, huh? ;)

BlurOfSerenity

Question...you have AIM on your phone-wasn't the mouth piece & speaker sufficient? This question also pertains to texting & general non phone communications. It is a TELEPHONE, right?

i do sometimes find the mouthpiece and speaker insufficient, because sometimes speaking aloud belies what i'm trying to say (part of the spetrum of my lazy/unfocused/unmotivated/ill-equipped/dumb-ness, you know). you mightn't know it because you only know my typing online, but sometimes i cannot fucking talk right. sometimes opening my mouth to speak makes my mind go blank, and people end up not knowing what i was trying to say, after i took all this time trying to tell them. it happens worst and most when on the phone, so when possible, yes, i do like to avoid talking on the phone.
i also tend to text and IM with my fiance, when we are apart. he has a stutter which is quite bad sometimes, being that he also suffers from LUUI-ED... i mean seriously, why doesn't he straighten up and stop talking so funny?
we both express ourselves quite well in writing.

texting and IMing are also good because sometimes you need to talk to someone about something you don't want everyone to know, but you can't always get away from other people.

MrBishop

Still not dead... anymore than boards like these are replaced by Facebook. It's got it's uses... at work, it was faster than email and easier than phone for small requests or just to say "It's done" or "can you do this?"

Kinda like texting on phones...which is chat..but far harder to pull off unless you've got a qwerty kb.

JTP

Hey, Tonks! Hope you are well. Me, I never could get the hang of IM. Can't type that fast. Still don't know how to text-message on my cell. Them little buttons are too small for my big clumsy fingers. I strongly dislike telephones and really peeved that they've gone wireless. Too much space junk already and all those towers everywhere are just big metal spears when the tornados and hurricanes come through. Besides, they are screwing up the honeybees, and that means crop failures, which leads to famine.
Some of us old fossils like to compose what we're going to say, get the spelling and punctuation right first, and then post. You all will just have to bear with us.

Altron

I haven't had my AIM on in a long time.

Anyone who I care to talk to already has my phone number, and a lot of those I don't care to talk to have it too.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
still don't text, hate IM & wish cell phones would be limited to one 90 second call per day.

Winky

still don't text, hate IM & wish cell phones would be limited to one 90 second call per day.

You silly old curmudgeon, yeah when we grew up in Phoenix
back in the day, thar wasn’t no such thing as the internet
and phones had cords on em. heh heh

the kids that grew up with the internet chat, text and gawd knows what else.

Guess we just don't got no one we need to chat text type et el too
24/7 365 like these screenie generation kids

Inkara1

I've got texting down to such a science using T9 word that if I were to get a phone with a qwerty keyboard it would probably slow me down.

Professur

I had a similar problem, Inky, when I was using my Palm pilot all the time. I started writing work orders using the same Graffiti.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I use just about everything, because everybody I know isn't all on the same medium.

Text messaging is probably the most ubiquitous, because every throwaway cell phone comes with it these days, but AIM is making a bit of a comeback now in some of my circles (being one of the more prominent free IM clients for iPhones & iPod touches).

There's also Skype, which I use a lot for work, and then there's finally the occasional e-mail (<oldguyvoice>I remember e-mail! Ha! Back in my day, we had to...ahh, screw it, you remember the rest of that line</oldguyvoice>)

I used to not get the idea of texting on a cell phone, because I was always at a computer and it was easier to IM, and if not, then a phone call was cheaper. But now, texting can be cheaper than phone calls, and I realize that it has its times and places. More people have access to text messaging more often than they do to IM. Libraries and public places where it's hard to sneak in a phone call if you have something to tell somebody, or something to ask somebody, or it's not necessary to draw it out into a full phone conversation. You can just send a quick little concise message and not waste expensive cell phone minutes or spend the time clarifying things by voice. You and the recipient can handle a text message at your convenience/when you're prepared to, instead of stopping what you're doing now to take a phone call. Basically, more availability, and more convenient than a phone call for some things. My dad and I tend to use texts when asking each other a simple question, and take it to a phone call when there's a back-and-forth exchange (like one question after the other).

It's a shame customer service is still all about the voice call.
"nine four five four?" "no, five one five four"
"fields?" "no, field - eff eye ee ell dee"
"w-o-o-d-d-a-l-e?" "no, wood space dale"

Winky

Goes like this, homeskillet

nato_a.JPG

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I've encountered enough call centers that hire people that DON'T know it that I gave up.

Inkara1

Law enforcement usually uses a slightly different set of words for the alphabet.

Adam
Boy
Charlie
David
Edward
Frank
George
Hendy
Ida
John
King
Lincoln