Is Hollywood is out of touch

Cerise

...with the rest of the country? Their current surge of anti-war films "In the Valley of Elah" "The Kingdom" "Rendition" "Lions for Lambs" and now "Redacted" have failed at the box office. Failed to make money, and failed to promote their anti-troop, anti-war viewpoint.

Why does Hollywood believe an American audience wants to see a movie that slanders the people who fight and the reasons they fight for them?

Are these directors and financial backers just trying to push their America-bashing agenda, or have they been misled by one too many polls that have portrayed the majority of people in this country against the war and believed they could cash in on that sentiment? What's the dealio?

Just because anti-American films get rave reviews and awards from Euro-weenies and other lib sycophants who tell then how wonderful they are, it doesn't mean that these pictures will sell. These film makers surround themselves with like minded libs and assume that the rest of the country thinks like them. They are out of touch with their paying audiences.

"Redacted's" domestic total as of Nov. 18, 2007: $25,628.

When Peter Berg tested "The Kingdom" on Americans, he was horrified when the audience cheered when the FBI killed the terrorists at the end. "Am I experiencing American bloodlust?" the director agonized. Berg's contemptuous reaction toward American audiences may point to a few of the reasons these movies are faring poorly at American box offices. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/5290900.html

Professur

Why does Hollywood believe an American audience wants to see a movie that slanders the people who fight and the reasons they fight for them?

Because, to date, that very audience has damn well done as it was told, from wearing jeans down about their asses, to adoring homos. How dare they think for themselves. Don't worry, Hollywood is ready to sort them out.

spike

Could you give an example of slander in one of these films?

Once again you seem to confuse anti-war with anti-America. Unless you think that war is a core value of this country?

I looked up the last 3 movies in your list on Rotten Tomatoes and they score somewhere between 19% and 40% which means they're just not good movies.

In fact one of the quotes about Rendition is "Get ready for the absolute worst performance of Meryl Streep's career!".

So maybe just maybe people want to see a good flick instead of a poorly made film on subject everyone already knows is a farce.

I haven't seen any of these movies but I'm going to go see "No Country for Old Men" tonight which scored a 95% so far.

spike

Because, to date, that very audience has damn well done as it was told, from wearing jeans down about their asses, to adoring homos. How dare they think for themselves. Don't worry, Hollywood is ready to sort them out.

Shit people who see movies also adore bigots, judge people based on the clothes they wear, and do what they're told as well.

2minkey

bootlicker
is hollywood out of touch?

some of them are. some of them are not.

who the fuck would want to be in touch with the mainstream? how boring...

ResearchMonkey

I'm going to invest my life savings into the next Leonardso DelCaprio production.

I think most people that don't ever go a to grocery store for themselves, at least once in while, are outta touch.

I know I wouldn't pay a dime to see any of the anti-american during wartime films

ResearchMonkey

Once again you seem to confuse anti-war with anti-America. Unless you think that war is a core value of this country?

I looked up the last 3 movies in your list on Rotten Tomatoes and they score somewhere between 19% and 40% which means their just not good movies.

In fact one of the quotes about Rendition is "Get ready for the absolute worst performance of Meryl Streep's career!".

So maybe just maybe people want to see a good flick instead of a poorly made film on subject everyone already knows is a farce.

Can you think of any other reasons people might not want to go see these movies?

chcr

Too cute for words
Can you think of any other reasons people might not want to go see these movies?

Because they're crap? Some movies (well over 70% in my estimation) are simply crap regardless of subject matter. I give you "Ishtar" and "Waterworld" as examples.

Is Hollywood out of touch? Were they ever in touch? I think the conclusion is questionable at best given the subject matter but if it furthers your personal agenda, how accurate does it really need to be? :shrug:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Because they're crap? Some movies (well over 70% in my estimation) are simply crap regardless of subject matter. I give you "Ishtar" and "Waterworld" as examples.

Is Hollywood out of touch? Were they ever in touch? I think the conclusion is questionable at best given the subject matter but if it furthers your personal agenda, how accurate does it really need to be? :shrug:

Hey! I kinda liked Waterworld. *handonhip It helps if you read the book first, though...:p

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Oh...btw...Hollywood is there to entertain the general population. Not to educate us, or give us political standards...documentaries notwithstanding. Anything else is a waste of time and money. Thats why those kind of movies lose money. Always have, and always will.

chcr

Too cute for words
Oh...btw...Hollywood is there to entertain the general population. Not to educate us, or give us political standards...documentaries notwithstanding. Anything else is a waste of time and money. Thats why those kind of movies lose money. Always have, and always will.

They don't all lose money, but it's certainly a general trend.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oh...btw...Hollywood is there to entertain the general population. Not to educate us, or give us political standards...

Yep. If only these people would stick to their trade & STFU...or take it all the way & actually run for office.

spike

"No Country for Old Men" has many fantastic parts but ultimately just is extremely frustrating. Not really sure just what happened there.

Cerise

All of them portray the U.S. as bad or worse than terrorists.

This country is sick of the namby pamby left--the movie directors, musicians, comedians, teachers, moonbats, candidates, senators and congressmen--trying to shove that attitude down our throats.

No one wants to shell out $10 to sit in a theater for two hours to see some Hollywoood elitist foam up and puke their "America is crap" and "No wonder everyone hates us" bullshit.

Once upon a time, Hollywood made movies that supported the war effort. this country's existance, and recognized and respected the military.

In fact, big names from the silver screen gave their service to this country including Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster, and Jimmy Stewart.

Many, many films such as "To Hell and Back" "From Here to Eternity" "Above and Beyond" "Flying Leathernecks" "Flying Tigers" "Strategic Air Command" “Sands of Iwo Jima” were made that portrayed the brave men and women that served this country as heroes.

Nowadays we get treated to the spectacle of second rate actors like Sean Penn and Danny Glover sucking up to Chavez.

chcr

Too cute for words
Nowadays we get treated to the spectacle of second rate actors like Sean Penn and Danny Glover sucking up to Chavez.

Must have missed the trailer for that one. You're comparing apples and oranges there.