Is my transmission about to bite the big one?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped, completely. I was coming out of the gas station, pulled into the middle lane to look for an opening to merge into traffic, and there was nothing but bumper to bumper cars for quite a while. I was sitting there for about 5 minutes with my turn signal on waiting for someone to make an opening for me (they usually do around here so it surprises me that nobody did) and finally got fed up (especially when I saw a cop eyeing me from the other gas station), and slammed on the gas hoping to make it up to speed fast enough to get in.

I hit the gas, and it goes "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooom" (lasting about half a second) then a thump, and it starts going. The gear shifting seemed fine after that.

Kruz

check the trans fluid level, do this with the engine running in park. the fluid should be a nice red color, without any metalic looking particals in it.. it uses"mercon V" fluid if you need to top it off. low fluid lowers the line pressure inside the trans, and prevents the clutches from engauging... raising the rpm's also raises the pressure and it bangs into gear.... if the fluid is full then you may have some internal problems .

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
Leslie said:
Yes, definitely, I did it myself a few years back all alone at the kitchen table. You could do it flurffy, for sure.

You rebuilt a Tranny on your kitchen table? :eek: Oh my god. If my wife dies suddenly, will you marry me? :worship:
LOL

it wasn't that much of a big deal at the time...we were dead poor, the car was totally immobilized, and hubby wasn't gonna do shit about it, so I took the tranny, took the diagrams, took it all apart, remembering how so I could put it back of course, cleaned it all put it back together, it worked beautifully till the car got stolen about 6 months later. :cuss:

Ah now i get the picture fury, my mondeo did that too, and just as Kruz said the Trans fluid level was low, you could actually feel the thing bump into gear, topping off sorted it out, too bad shes wrote off :D:headbang:

Professur

According to my owner's manual (and probably yours too) you have to have the engine at running temp (ie, the rad fan has cycled on and off at least once) and the car on a level surface, and, holding the brakes on, shift from Park to Low, and back, stopping for several seconds in each gear. Then, with the engine still running and using care, pull out the tranny dipstick, wipe it off, dip it again, and this time read the level.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i think my tranny is going apeshit too. it has a tendency to do that whenever i take it on climbing trips. lost the head gasket last summer (stupid f'ing ford 3.8L). anyways, we left saturday, 25 minutes out my check engine lamp pops on, so we pulled over and checked fluids, my tranny fluid barely marked the tip of the dipstick, oops :eek5: so i went in to the gas station and all they had was tranny leak fixer. i figured it goes in the transmission and it's fluid so i bought that and we continued on. when we got to the town we were climbing in I stopped at napa and put in a quart of mercon. drove home with no problems till we got off the freeway, shortly thereafter the check engine light turned on again. the car seems to drive fine, a bit better now that it has fluid in it, other than the huge clunk between 1st and 2nd when you step on it too hard, but it's done that since i got it. grrr, stupid cars

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
checking oil when the engine is hot is kinda useless since the oil is kinda spread all through the engine...would make more sense to check it when it's cold and all the oil is down...

or am i a retard? :retard:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Not Oil, Tranny fluid, and tranny fluid you are supposed to check when it's hot.

It slipped once again today, and I wasn't accelerating quite as fast (but still faster than I normally do)

I checked it while it was hot, the transmission fluid came all the way to the top of the testing part of the dipstick (the little white part attached to the metal rod)

chcr

Too cute for words
Shadowfax said:
checking oil when the engine is hot is kinda useless since the oil is kinda spread all through the engine...would make more sense to check it when it's cold and all the oil is down...
Actually, you should check the motor oil warm too. it expands a little. It generally takes the oil less than a minute to drain back down into the pan. You should also change your oil warm, as this supends all the contaminates and evaporates any condensation. Do I have to mention "be careful?"