Is my transmission about to bite the big one?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
If you've got a big problem, the magnets won't catch it all. That's why I asked.

Ah, I see. :beerbang:

Well, so far the slipping has only happened at high acceleration, not with the way I normally drive. My dad says it could be something very simple like the gear shifting thingy not finding the right mesh or something. Does that make any sense? :tardbang:

PT

Nope. :tardbang:

That is strange though, normally transmission problems start at the low end of the gears. When you go to start your motor revs but doesn't shift into low. Don't know, what year of car is it?

PT

Well, I'd go ahead and take it to a mechanic. Make sure he's got the diagnostic computer, they can hook it up and tell you exactly what is wrong, and about how long it will last if you don't fix it now, or what it will tear up if you don't fix it now. Definitely one of those things that if it is starting to go, get something done now, it will cost alot less to make a small repair than to swap transmissions.

PT

flurffmeister said:
145692 miles on the tranny
Well, what model is it? Dodge trannys do pretty good to get 100k on them, My Suburban has 200,000 on it and hasn't slipped a bit.

Inkara1

Is the top of the white "testing" part of the dipstick the "full" line? Or are the "full" and "add" line both within this white area? If a tranny is too full, that's bad for it too.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
PuterTutor said:
Well, what model is it? Dodge trannys do pretty good to get 100k on them, My Suburban has 200,000 on it and hasn't slipped a bit.
We have a plymouth voyager that went throught 4 trannies in the first 80000mi. had to have it rebuilt a year or two ago at around 140000