isp through wireless phone

Mirlyn

catocom said:
ooh ooh, that's pretty much what I'm looking for....
What was the total startup cost?
Phone (already had) and a cable ($20). You just hook it up and find the USB drivers for the phone and set it to dial #777. It's best for basic net needs, not for general surfing due to its lossy compression (seen in images) and high latency. I use it for SSH/VNC/RD when I'm out.

http://www.glowingfields.com/trip/albums/trip/P5291097.thumb.jpg

Verizon has similar...but I think their data packages are $50/mo. There's also the PCMCIA card Inky was talking about.

majestyx

cat, check this out and see if it is what you are looking for...........

FutureDial . You will need a cable to connect the computer to your phone, so check here . FutureDial is on page 3 of the second link. Disclaimer: It only works with certain cellphone companies, but maybe this will help you out.

Inkara1

That $15/mo for the Sprint internet is above and beyond the cost of a cell phone plan, right?

Mirlyn

majestyx said:
cat, check this out and see if it is what you are looking for...........

FutureDial . You will need a cable to connect the computer to your phone, so check here . FutureDial is on page 3 of the second link. Disclaimer: It only works with certain cellphone companies, but maybe this will help you out.
You don't need FutureDial with Sprint. All you're buying is the USB drivers on CD. You can simply download them off their website for free and use the phone as a external modem.

I bought FutureDial. I had problems getting it to work, and after weeks of piss-poor support, I found out you can manually set the connection in windows (see above post) and it'll work just the same. Without the cost of FutureDial.

Inkara1

It doesn't work with every phone, too. I always sold that software with caution, because RadioShack has a no-return policy on opened software and that was certain to be a war.

Mirlyn

Inkara1 said:
It doesn't work with every phone, too. I always sold that software with caution, because RadioShack has a no-return policy on opened software and that was certain to be a war.
The software was always behind the common phones. I had to wait a month or so for them to release drivers for one of my phones. Now you can find the drivers in other places on the web too.

Winky

This is giving me a headache!

Why oh why are you trying to explain this
to the great unwashed? Reminds me of the

Gonzo-matic thread.

I'm still irked that he's runnin' them two routers Grrrrrr!

Inkara1

Well, Gonz sees it like this: he can run one router and appease you, or he can run two routers and have his internet work.

Winky

um yeah uh huh m'kay

as long as it's not gas operated
if its just a blow-back design Arrggg...

catocom

Have had 3 going at once, because I didn't have enough switches/ports open.
I've got 2 now going...one with dhcp routing disabled, but I now have another
8 port switch ordered, so I'll be switching it over. :nerd:

Mirlyn

catocom said:
Have had 3 going at once, because I didn't have enough switches/ports open.
I've got 2 now going...one with dhcp routing disabled, but I now have another
8 port switch ordered, so I'll be switching it over. :nerd:
Techinically three here too....VPN, WiFi, and Vonage.

rrfield

I've got a switch.

s_p_15830_1.jpg