Israel attacks Turkish humanitarian ship in international waters

spike

9 Americans have been kidnapped by the Israelis. All communications have been cut off.

By now you will have heard about Israel’s assault on the Gaza Freedom Flotilla, in the course of which, according to current estimates, at least 10 and as many as 20 peace activists were killed, and dozens injured. The flotilla was carrying hundreds of activists, including a Nobel Peace Laureate, along with thousands of tons of humanitarian aid to distribute to the besieged population of Gaza.

heathlander's diary :: ::
The narrative from Israel has been almost comically predictable, as has the extent to which that narrative has been accepted by news organisations. In the week leading up to the mission Israeli officials repeatedly threatened the ships, with the Foreign Minister going so far as to label the unarmed humanitarian voyage a "violent" threat. The flotilla was smeared as "pro-Hamas" and condemned for refusing to deliver a letter to Cpl. Shalit from his father (a claim that, while repeated uncritically in the purportedly ‘liberal’ Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz, is a "a blatant lie"), and its attempts to dock in Gaza were declared an "an infringement of Israel’s sovereignty". Needless to say, this last accusation does not sit well with Israel’s claim that it does not occupy and has no intention to annex Gaza (the Israeli human rights NGO Gisha notes, in this vein, that the assault on the Freedom Flotilla "is proof that despite claims to the contrary, Israel never ‘disengaged’ from the Gaza Strip but rather continues to control its borders – land, air and sea").

The Israeli navy began harassing the convoy when it was still well over 100 miles from Gaza, deep into international waters. As the ships drew closer the Israeli military attempted to disrupt their communications (journalists were reporting from on-board and a live video feed was streaming online) and began issuing threats. Finally, Israeli forces attacked, with soldiers descending from helicopters to board the ships. Initially Israel claimed that no activists were killed. It then performed an abrupt reversal, familiar to veterans of its clumsy rhetorical acrobatics during the Gaza massacre, reporting that at least 10 people were killed, but claiming that it was the peace activists who "attacked" first (as one commentator observed: "[p]eculiar how Israel is always violently attacked but it's only the ‘attackers’ who die"). Thus news organisations reported that "[f]ighting broke out between" (via) the activists and the soldiers, as if unarmed peace activists could ever meaningfully "fight" highly-trained, heavily armed members of one of the most sophisticated militaries on the planet. The BBC went even further, intoning, over footage of what was clearly a direct attack on unarmed civilians, that the Israeli soldiers were attempting to "control passengers" (via). Eyewitness reports, by contrast, described how Israeli forces started shooting "the moment their feet hit the deck. They shot civilians asleep". "This was not a confrontation", they report, "[t]his was a massacre". An al-Jazeera journalist aboard the ship reported that "despite the white flag being raised, the Israeli Army is still shooting, still firing live munitions".

More here...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/5/31/871561/-Israel-massacres-unarmed-peace-activists

Winky

Israel defends itself from attacks from Hamas in Gaza

Originally Posted by Winky
-My recommendation, assassinate the jigga-boo and be done with it

catocom

Israel and Egypt signaled a temporary easing of the Gaza Strip blockade Tuesday following harsh international condemnation of the deadly Israeli raid on an aid flotilla en route to the sealed-off Palestinian territory.

Egypt said it was freely opening its border with Gaza for the first time in more than a year to allow in humanitarian aid, setting off a mad rush to the crossing by thousands of residents, while an Israeli official said there is an "ongoing dialogue" with the international community on how to expand the amount of goods entering the area.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06/01/israeli-flotilla-activists-deported/

valkyrie

Here's a list of items that Israel keeps from going to Gaza in their illegal blockade.

http://gisha.org/UserFiles/File/HiddenMessages/ItemsGazaStrip060510.pdf

Chocolate, seeds, spare parts for farm equipment, fishing supplies, building materials?

so, you're saying you think Nothing has gotten trough to them?
No they get them, at a greatly increased price from smugglers who get the supplies from Egypt. I listened to a radio broadcast about these smugglers and the blockade.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Interestingly enough, the Israeli boarding team was attacked first with metal rods. The blockade, though unethical, is not illegal.

spike

Interestingly enough, the Israeli boarding team was attacked first with metal rods. The blockade, though unethical, is not illegal.

Both of those claims are debatable...

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0531/raw-video-reporter-claims-israelis-fired-activists-boarding-ship/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,539363,00.html

But if a bunch of armed guys were attacking my ship by dropping from a helicopter I wouldn't wait for them all to get on board and start acting aggressive before I defended myself.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So, not only may America not defend her borders, now Israel may not either.

They were warned. The first 6 allowed inspection...the 7th, the one with "humanitarian" terrorists, scoffed. Israel could have follwed through with their right & had their Navy blow this barge outta the water.

Funny how the humanitarian relief vessel had a PR firm on standby.

spike

So, not only may America not defend her borders, now Israel may not either.

They can both protect their borders. Attacking a humanitarian ship in the night in international waters is a bit out of line though.

They were warned. The first 6 allowed inspection...the 7th, the one with "humanitarian" terrorists, scoffed. Israel could have follwed through with their right & had their Navy blow this barge outta the water.

Oh, you're calling them terrorists now for defending themselves? They don't just get inspected they get directed to a specific port where israel steals a bunch of ridiculous stuff and then sometimes sit on it for years. Also there were humanitarians on all the boats.

Passengers included a Nobel Peace Prize recipient, 2 German politicians, 17 members of parliment from Ireland, Bulgaria and Sweden, 9 American citizens, and an 85 year old holocaust survivor. Yeah, terrorists.

Funny how the humanitarian relief vessel had a PR firm on standby.

You know Israel has a few.

catocom

in "international waters" part is the worst part of the debacle for Israel imo.

Who decides what's "humanitarian", and what's "smuggling" is a different story.
(much debatable)

valkyrie it sounds like there's a bigger problem with Egypt, that Israel, from
your statement.
Is that right?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
cat...you are aware that the US does the exact same thing right? Inspections in international waters, before they cross into your territory is common.

IHH, sponsored by Hamas or Hezbollah?

catocom

yeah I know, but the protocol is a little different I think.

I'm not sure just how they handle certain situations.
I think the last I can recall was the Cuban missile thing, but it didn't get to
actual engagement I don't think.

I'm not so much dissing, or 2nd guessing the Israelis, as l am looking at the
baiting propaganda mess the stepped in.
I though they were a little more shrewd than that, but then again, we don't
know the whole story, or the Intel they were looking at.

I'm in no way wavering in my support for Israel, just asking the angular questions.

Professur

What I want to know is why they didn't just plant limpet mines on it and bottom it outright. I mean, if their intent was to do more than inspect, why waste the effort and manpower? Better ... a short sub trip could pick up an Iranian mine and float it right into the ship. Those floating mines are famous for breaking free and sinking commercial shipping.