It's on

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
So how you doing SnP?

I'm hanging in there, thanks for asking. I drive short distances every couple days or if needed. I usually make it through the night with only waking up once for pain meds. I still can't eat very much (quantity or variety), I think my stomach has shrunk or something. I've dropped right at 100 pounds since it all began, putting me very near where I wanted to eventually end up. Just a hell of a way to lose it. I'm going out of my mind with boredom though. I'm not up to anything like mowing the yard or most any physical activity, I tire out easily, and I'm sick to death of TV and such. So by afternoon I've pretty much exhausted my diversions for the day. I play my dirt track racing game on the puter, I surf the web a bit, work an occasional crossword, and listen to CDs. I want something to DO!! But I know if I rush it I'll regret it, so...

Still, I ain't complaining too much. No pancreas pain since the surgery, and hopefully that's permanent. Too dry to fish, so that's out too. Not up to any significant hiking either. But it beats hell out of the pain. All the staples over the incision are out, and it seems to be healing nicely. My gut is starting to look like a road map with all the scars, but what do I care...I'm already married, no need to impress anyone anymore, right? :grinno:

I go back to the hospital on the 27th for a follow up and some kind of procedure that I don't know what it is yet. Hopefully then the feeding tube, drain, and/or stent into my pancreas will be removed, allowing me to be able to lie on my stomach sometimes. Hard to do that with three tubes poking out your gut. And it would allow me to take showers without having to tape plastic over all this stuff. I swear if I never see medical tape again it'll be too soon.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Sounds like you're doing just fine, improving as every day goes by. Glad to hear it.

As for something to do, you might want to start solving sudokus. They will get old with time, just as any game. Read some books, watch some movies. Or if you're into series, get the dvd sets of some seasons. Not the best way to spend the days, but at least you'll have something to do.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I've tried sudokus, not my cup of tea. And I have caught up on some reading, dove into my War of Northern Aggression library and renewed my dedication. I want something to do that requires getting off my ass, and therein lies the rub...those things are what I'm supposed to avoid for awhile yet. This sitting about is driving me bonkers. Hell, at this point I think I'd paint somebody else's house if they'd let me.

Inkara1

You said any significant hiking is out of the question for now... how significant are we talking?

TexasRaceLady

You're doing fine --- back to your bitchin', moanin' and groanin'. :)

Just keep doing a little more each day. You'll build up that strength you lost.

Glad to hear the good news.

BB

sheesh kebabs, i just speed-read that (slowing only for your's and Allear's - your wife i take it? ... posts!)

mate, didn't know it was that serious, and this debiliatating and painful.

um, sorry about the kebab mention btw - do you like kebabs?

That was a hell of a experience, and still is - but if it gives a brighter future - worth every pain, hastle, annoyance and discomfort - surely?

Mike- all the best and goodluck.

best, BB

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
You said any significant hiking is out of the question for now... how significant are we talking?

Right now I couldn't manage a mile. There are times when I can't get to the mailbox and back still. And every bit of overexertion I pay for with spades. So I'm still on the Physically Unable to Perform list for awhile I'm afraid.

Today and yesterday were pretty bad. The worst since coming home. Normally I'm up and about by 7:30; today it was 11. But I couldn't sleep or even rest very much, it hurt too much. I guess there will be days like this.

Oh well, back to the CD library...

Inkara1

I didn't know if maybe you were up to a visit to your local Confederate cemetery. Sounds like your body's not up to it yet, though.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
There is no local Confederate cemetery. This county wished to remain Union loyal. Andrew Johnson was from here; you do the math.

I do, however, regularly visit the gravesite of one Thomas Nelson Gulley, my triple-great grandfather who fought heroically for the correct side in that invasion. I am in process of getting a CSA gravestone for his grave, but it's slow going. It's about half a mile up a pretty decent hill, about all I could handle right now I'd say. I'm sure by now the flag needs replacing due to weather...

Winky

Did I read that Right? Dropped a hundred LBS?
Then you'd better get a pic up in the photog gallery
before you lose your boyish figger!

Kinda before and after thing.

Winky

well then you'd be close to as skinny as me now?

and believe me I'm one skinny bastard!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Time for a bit of long overdue good news.

I went to Vanderbilt yesterday for a scheduled test and follow up.

I came home about 5 weeks ago with three tubes in my gut...a drain, a feeding tube, and a stent, capped off. The drain fell out one day a couple weeks after...just PLOP and there it was on the floor. No problem, they told me.

The feeding tube did the same about 10 days ago. That I didn't worry about because I was eating enough that I wasn't even using it anymore.

Two days before I was to return, the other stent started working its way out. That hurt pretty good, and I knew they needed that one to run the test Friday. I went to my local doc and he stitched it back in for me, but for two days I could feel something pushing against the tube and churning trying to push it out. Not pleasant at all.

Made it to the hospital, had the test, and went in to see the surgeon. I told him about the stent and the accompanying pain. By this point I felt like someone had lifted my left arm and beat me with a baseball bat. So he sends me for another scan to see what is causing the pain.

Nothing to eat since 9AM Thursday, and it's now almost 6PM Friday...

The scans came back OK. The source of the pain was identified, and is now 90% under control. The stent was removed. He then said the words I have waited 4 years to hear: My pancreatic cyst is cured. While I may still be succeptible to future attacks, the source of my pain for the last 3 years is gone. In order to have another attack I would have to develop another new problem. In short, barring something unlikely, it's over.

I go back to work next Friday, and honestly can't wait. I am bored to the teeth sitting at home. I ate about 8 bites last night, and maybe another 8 this morning, but I expected that. My appetite is already returning, I just have to go real easy for today.

Maybe now I can have my life back.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
SUCH GOOD NEWS!!

:hug: (but gently to avoid further pain on your left side)

TexasRaceLady

*doing a happy, happy dance*

YA-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! !

SN'P, you don't know how I've agonized right along with you, and now to hear that wonderful news. :) :) :)