Jericho

unclehobart

No I haven't. I dare say a small town would survive 10 times better than a big one.

I wonder if the show was shot in perpetual winter. A major nuke attack would leave the world in about 8-10 years of gnarly cold.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
It got canceled but apparently due to fan demand a 2nd season is coming, with 7 episodes just to test the waters.

Luis G

Staff member
I don't think it is boring at all, in fact I'm looking forward to watch the new episodes. So yes, it might have been a bad time slot.

btw, the episodes are available at the show's site in case anyone is willing to watch them.

unclehobart

So everyone was killed in the first three episodes, no? Murder, mayhem, thievery, rape, pillage? Gangs of teens and young men charging into the gas stations to steal all of the toilet paper, cigarettes, and beer?

aka, Mad Max Over Kansas?

Luis G

Staff member
Not quite ala Mad Max. Isolated town, no communications, no supplies, lots of town problems, character development. And the never ending question of "who was behind the attacks?". It is more like Lost actually.

unclehobart

I've never seen Lost.. so the analogy is Lost on me. ...but I suspect you are saying it is more of a thriller/mystery/doomsay than total anarchy.

No supplies? ... well.. being rural Kansas, food shouldn't be a problem.

I just hope it wasn't Little House on the Prarie crossed over with the Waltons.

unclehobart

The Stand was very, very cool. I've read it three times... but it still isn't a nuclear holocaust novel.

Nuclear holocaust: 75% mortality, weather affected, most manufacturing and things destroyed.

The Stand: 99.94% mortality, weather normal, everything still available.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I make it a point to read The Stand at least once a year. I still catch stuff I never noticed/linked in previous readings.

chcr

Too cute for words
Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. A comet hits the earth. Written largely from the point of view of a group of people of varying backgrounds from Southern California. Interesting lead up to impact, interesting take (quite realistic, IMO) on what happens after too. Interesting characters too.

Larry Niven is an excellent hard science fiction writer, Jerry Pournelle is more of a character person. They write well together although I don't particularly care for Pournelle's solo stuff. Being a geek I rather enjoy Niven's work. His science is always plausible, even though the Ringworld was inherently unstable. :nerd:

unclehobart

Nah. Ringworld was stable. That had that sucker on a balancer down at the Pep Boys. They used the literary ace in the hole of 'suuupernatural alien physics and computer reality bendy-dealies' to cover physics flaws.

BeardofPants

*waves* I do.
Well, I should qualify that most of what I read is sci-fi. But I read other stuff too. Anything from Agatha Christie to Timothy Zahn.