Jericho

BeardofPants

Luis? I read a lot of non-fic (python, java & gps stuff lately) but it's usually kinda work-related. Guess that probably doesn't count. :mope:

tonksy

I had taken a rather long sabatical from reading but I found a book club that straightened me out.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Luis? I read a lot of non-fic (python, java & gps stuff lately) but it's usually kinda work-related. Guess that probably doesn't count. :mope:

This is also work related, I use that as a text book for my students.

Other than books I use to teach, I barely read anything else :shrug:

chcr

Too cute for words
Nah. Ringworld was stable. That had that sucker on a balancer down at the Pep Boys. They used the literary ace in the hole of 'suuupernatural alien physics and computer reality bendy-dealies' to cover physics flaws.

Naw, he explained how the Pak had installed attitude jets in Ringworld Engineers.

Does anyone around here read non sci-fi?
Non sci-fi???? You mean like textbooks? :nerd:
How about the 120 days of Sodom? I've read that (note that the movie of the same name is an unmitigated piece of trash). Not exactly sci-fi.

Seriously, I like good mysteries but I hate bad ones. I read some fantasy and I really like sailing stories and historical novels. I also enjoy reading stuff that's off the beaten path sometimes.

Ever read any classics?

tonksy

I love classics! Which do you like?
I am currently reading a W. Somerset Maugham book for book club. That classic enough for you?

tonksy

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favs. The Great Gatsby, The Three Muskateers, most Vonnegut books, Tom Sawyer. I read an awesome book by Edna Ferber - So Big - that I recommend to any one that is a mother....what am I forgetting?

tonksy

BoP - You should read Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum. It was so interesting to me that I didn't want to leave it at home in case I found a few minutes to read. I carried a big purse the whole time I was reading it :nerd:
Pretty racy too - yet very appropos to the storyline.

BeardofPants

I buy bags that will fit my books. I will not be caught without one, LOL.

That books sounds ... harrowing? Reminds me of a movie I saw on the plane to san fran recently (about a jewish woman who had an affair with a nazi and then fell in love with him). I will look out for it, thanks!

spike

Naw, he explained how the Pak had installed attitude jets in Ringworld Engineers.

Jets that would adjust people's attitudes? Freakin' sweet. :)

Seriously though, I used to dig Niven. Ringworld, Integral Trees, Lucifer's Hammer. Been a long time. Although I re-read Integral Trees a few years ago.

chcr

Too cute for words
I will read virtually anything, fiction or non. I generally keep a half dozen or so ebooks on my Palm. I hardly ever read a book in print anymore. It's so much easier this way. My home, however, has a library (not more than 1000 or so books) so clearly reading has always been a priority.

As far as classics go, some favorites are Mark Twain, Dickens, Poe, Milton...

Anyone else ever read Descartes?

Of course Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs. ;)

I could go on and on. I read around two books a week depending on length plus magazines and news. If I stopped doing this and playing guitar I could probably up the count but I don't want to. I recently read (or reread) all of the Discworld novels in chronological order of writing. I was surprised how many I'd missed.