Linux.....help!

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
K. Some of these I already know, since our main database runs in a Unix environment. vi, ls, rmdir, mkdir, for example, I'm familiar with. I just need to shift my thinking to that mode when I fire it up.

Linux = UNIX = POSIX

You'll do fine.

Raven

Annoying SOB
PT said:
And moving around directories is very dos-like. cd.. cd/ dir etc, they all work pretty well the same.
Basically a knwoledge of DOS helps? i'm quite good with it, admittedly havent used it for a while but still....

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
It helps, like they said, some things are just different enough to be frustrating, but it is similar.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Linux is an alternate (and better in terms of stability and that it is free) operating system to Windows. More and more people are switching over for whatever reason. I'm just going to play around with it but if I like it, I'm going to stick with it. Besides it will prolly help when I get out into the big wide world of qualified games software engineers.

ClaireBear

Banned
Raven said:
Linux is an alternate (and better in terms of stability and that it is free) operating system to Windows. More and more people are switching over for whatever reason. I'm just going to play around with it but if I like it, I'm going to stick with it. Besides it will prolly help when I get out into the big wide world of qualified games software engineers.

Ooooh! That Linux! :D

Now I get ya! :winkkiss:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
chcr said:
Ctrl>Alt>Backspace. :D
> killall -9 X startx
usually works in a pinch too, especially if you really gone'n done good and hosed your keyboard and mouse, log in via ssh and fir eoff this command.

as far as you DOS dinosaurs go, just symlink or alias all your favorite commands, then you don't have to actually learn anything, just plod along in blissful obsolecence.
>alias dir="ls -l"

and homey, mandrake 10 on a 266 has to be painfully slow, so i make my generic recommendation of slackware 10 using fluxbox as a window manager. :)P all you mandrake humpers)

HomeLAN

tommyj27 said:
> killall -9 X startx
usually works in a pinch too, especially if you really gone'n done good and hosed your keyboard and mouse, log in via ssh and fir eoff this command.

as far as you DOS dinosaurs go, just symlink or alias all your favorite commands, then you don't have to actually learn anything, just plod along in blissful obsolecence.
>alias dir="ls -l"

and homey, mandrake 10 on a 266 has to be painfully slow, so i make my generic recommendation of slackware 10 using fluxbox as a window manager. :)P all you mandrake humpers)

That's the beauty of it. This machine pretty much defines "expendable", so once I'm comfy with Mandrake, I'll consider wiping the HD's (gonna use 2 X 4 giggers), and starting over with something more complicated.

chcr

Too cute for words
tommyj27 said:
debian is ok, but Slackware is the path of Truth and Light
:grinyes:

Of course I didn't learn about symlink until I'd already learned most of the common commands. :shrug:

chcr

Too cute for words
A note to anyone with pvr (personal video recorder) ambitions. Now that I have mine up and running :rolleyes: (for a while actually), Mandrake 10.1 comes with Freevo (very tivo like pvr software).

pc_builder

tommyj27 said:
debian is ok, but Slackware is the path of Truth and Light

I have RedHat 9 lying around because I used it for like 20 minutes in the span of a week. It was on my laptop. I got rid of it 'cause I needed the disk space for my windows stuff (read: downloading stuff... but not pron, much)

Now I have a separate system setup with Slackware 9.1
And I'm using my main windows machine to read the Linux From Scratch book and using my slackware box to try to build a tiny distro on a 540 MB hdd to be used in a webserver machine.
The reason being I want to start using Apache as my server. My current one is DOS based.

AND... I don't need a full distro like slackware only serving as a webserver. I want to use my Slack box for other things.

BTW, when I first started using linux, I discovered linuxquestions.org and it has saved me a number of times.

chcr

Too cute for words
chcr said:
A note to anyone with pvr (personal video recorder) ambitions. Now that I have mine up and running :rolleyes: (for a while actually), Mandrake 10.1 comes with Freevo (very tivo like pvr software).
Ooops! Jury's still out. Sourceforge says it is, Mandrake says it's not. :shrug:

Inkara1

Mandrake probably says it's not for the same reason I couldn't say the DISH DVR was basically TiVo when I was selling DISH Network door-to-door. There are differences in the systems, and TiVo's got patents, trademarks, copyrights and lawyers.

HomeLAN

Niether Mandrake nor Suse 9.1 will install. I'm thinking it's just too damn underpowered in the memory dept (32 MB :rolleyes: ). Anyone wanna trade some PC 100 for some PC2100? Unc, you still got some of the decommisioned stuff around?

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:
Niether Mandrake nor Suse 9.1 will install. I'm thinking it's just too damn underpowered in the memory dept (32 MB :rolleyes: ). Anyone wanna trade some PC 100 for some PC2100? Unc, you still got some of the decommisioned stuff around?

Sure, I got a 256Meg stick in my new pvr I'm building with slots for either/or. I think it's PC133 but it's older so it works fine as PC100. However, why don't you just install from a floppy. I think 64MB is the minimum to install from cd, but you can make floppies in windows to install from floppies. You won't get all the functionality with only 32 megs though. Let me know.

HomeLAN

Hmm. Mandrake gives me a "Can't read cd-rom error that I may be able to solve with a different CD drive, after a little looking around. SUSE tells me that it can't install to a null root. Whatever the fuck that means. I suspect I need to do some drive prep, as both HD's are unpartitioned.