Linux.....help!

HomeLAN

Thanks for the offer, chcr. If Unc can't help me out (loca), I may take you up on it. 256 lus 128 sound fiar? The 128's a collector's item. I found a hidden spot on crucial when DDR wasn;t available yet that allowed an order to be placed. As a result, my 128's have "ENGINEERING SAMPLE" stickers on 'em. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
NP. BTW, Linux loads the basic kernel into RAM for installation purposes. That's probably why your having the problem, in case you were curious. Umm... you did look at system requirements, right? You can download earlier versions if you need to.

Note that I prefer installing on a wiped hard drive, I don't think that's the problem. You have to go through a partitioning daemon during installation anyway.

PS. 128 ought to be plenty to install.

HomeLAN

Yep. I now suspect that RAM's the issue with Suse, and the CD-ROM drive won't work with Mandrake. I'll figure it out.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
32M should be enough to get a system running, just make sure you give it a monster swap (>256M) and the sucker ought to run, albeit slower than dirt. AFAIK my systems still boot at 20-30M used. that's w/o X11 though (that's X-Windows if you really want to push Luis' buttons :p)