Locking Threads?

greenfreak

In my limited experience with the few forums I belong to, a joke like that is par for the course. I don't know any guys that would be offended by anything like that, but maybe I just don't know the kind of guys who would be.

Btw, the first time I heard that joke, it was, "What's the useless area around a vagina called--The Woman" And I laughed because it's a funny joke-either way.

Leslie you troublemaker, what did I tell you about this? *cracks whip* :D

G

Just so that you folks know...

the other 'supermod' was sitting here reading the whole thing for over an hour.

I am sure that you are going to say: "well, why the hell didn't you say something?". The answer is this. I wanted the people to speak their minds, and I didn't want to interfere or influence what you people might say. Part of being a mod sometimes is knowing when to read and not post.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Originally posted by sbcanada
Fine. I'll unlock the thread. Don't have to bite my fricken head off... :p
I think you shouldn't at this point, but obviously you are going to do what you are going to do. Unlocking it now would be meaningless as nothing has been resolved. Better to talk to the admin once they are fully informed and let them make the call and form a rule structure if that is what is deemed necessary.

I would rather have interested parties continue this discussion which I have refrained from participating in as yet, and invite all others who are offended if there are any others to please step forward and tell me why.

MuFu

Is this OTCentral's first flamewar? OH YEAH, I THINK IT JUST MIGHT BE!!!!

:headbang::mad: :mad2: :mad2: :mad: :hadbang:

:D

MuFu.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I was worried this would happen. :(

And I agree... it's a joke. Hopefully after things get going, there will be a feel for what is OK and what is not

If I was mod, it would have been just fine. There will be a period of learning by mods and members to establish that feel though, so you can expect some bumps early on.

Hopefully, that feel will allow us to express our fucking minds in most any way we damn well feel like it though. ;)

G

If people want to talk about making rules, that is ok with me. I agree that some guidlines might be helpful.

I know what I would have done in this particular instance, but for me to say what I think might keep a member or two who is new here from commenting, and I want to hear what you have to say.

If someone has something to say about the thread that was locked, I think they should speak their mind.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Well, I think I spoke my mind, but just in case there is any doubt, I think threads (and posts) like that are perfectly fine and should not be moderated in the future. I hope that this was just a misunderstanding, and a bit of trigger happiness, and not an indication of what type of forum this will become.

Yeah, I think that just about covers it.

sbcanada

This forum is going to be pretty cool when it comes to rules, but I thought there was to be no sexist or racist threads. I knew it was a joke, but it was still an entire thread devoted to dirty put downs of men. ;)

What if someone started something like: "The jokes about blacks, for us white folk"? Even though they may be just jokes, it's still discrimination.

Pradeep

As I said, it's all about common sense. Would you lock blonde joke threads because it would upset blonde people? There's somethings that are ok to joke about, and others which are more disturbing. That judgement can only be made with your life experience behind you. For example ineedajay will call me darkman and I will respond with whiteman. But that's ok because we both know that we are only fucking around. Whereas if some complete stranger started saying it I would perhaps be annoyed. Anyway it's only words, not sticks and stones.

sbcanada

Believe it or not, I do have a sense of humour. Thanks for everyone's input. You need to break-in your mods just like a new car engine. ;)

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
ok i stuck the guidelines that fury orginally posted to the top of this forum. as a few have mentiond already this is a learning process for us. after reading it i am glad that sbcanada unlocked it, it was a joke. sometimes it is hard to determine when that fine line has been crossed and it has become racist or sexist. but we will all learn, so please try to be patient with us as we get this rolling.
Now PARTY ON!!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
No, we can't be patient. We want things done right, and done right the first time! I'm preparing a list of the members' demands for things we want fixed or added to the forum. You have six hours from the time we submit the list to complete you job, which is pleasing us.

:D :D :p

G

No speech from me about this is forthcoming on this particular thread. However, bear in mind that I have experience as a mod. Not all of us are in the learning process. Some of us have done this before.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Dang s4, it's hard for me to get used to you saying something other than "no comment." :D You had such a long string of it... except for the occasional mention of a falling out with a former professor. ;) Glad you're a mod though, I feel my posts are safe in your hands. :)