Ma latest toy

tommyj27

Not really Banned
/me drools
/me digs out crowbar and checks airfare to london
/me thinks twice about biggotted unix remarks, edits.

nice hardware justin

catocom

What temp do those new ones run at normally?
(with stock cooling)

I'm waiting on the intel 3gigs to come down from $700 alittle.;)

I really want to try that hyperthreading shit. :headbang:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
hey cat, why do you want to upgrade to a 3gig from 2.5? at that speed i can't imagine a notable difference in speed, unless you have mad cash to toss down.

Altron

If you've got to much money, just send me an email with your bank account information and I will help you...

catocom

The hyperthreading starts at 3.06gig.
I don't have the money, that's why I'm waiting for the price to come down.

Maybe when it gets down around 300-350?

I wanna see how fast that bastard will crunch genomes.:D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Me too, me too! :brow:

Altron: It's more than just an increase in MHz. 3.06 gig and up P4 processors run threads (parts of programs) at the same time as other threads and combines their executions so that all the CPU time isn't wasted waiting for one thread to finish an execution before the next one can start. It is basically emulating SMP without using two whole CPUs. With hyperthreading enabled, the processor's performance ranges somewhere between being slightly slower than equally clocked single non-hyperthreaded setups and about 60-80% the speed of equally clocked dual non-hyperthreaded CPU setups.

Altron

In doing a single thread it is slower than a non-HT version, because the cache and bus has to be split for each thread.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but for multithreaded applications (such as apache and mysql for instance) this is a tremendous benefit. Xeons have been doing this for a while now.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
ok, hyperthreading is a good enough excuse i suppose, 300 is still pricey for my cheap ass though, i'll let other people tell me how cool it is

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i'm not saying there isn't a need, just seems like a lot of money to spend for 500Mhz more. IMHO.

catocom

yeah it is if I were just looking at the Mhzs.;)
That's why I'm not running a 2.8.
I was probably crazy for getting this 2.53, when the
2.4s were a good bit less. I did get 2 of those, and I can't
tell much differance. They'er all 3 smooth as silk.:headbang:
I guess I mainly just want the 3gig because I can't have it.
You know (the grass is greener...):p

Altron

Then you will want 3.6GHz Prescott, and you won't be able to get it because of the money you wasted on the 3066HT