Mac vs PC

Mirlyn

If you're sure compatibility isn't an issue with company resources (software), then I'd go mac if I were in your position. I went Windows for support reasons (job), but I'd rather be carrying a mac. To compensate, I dualboot.

Do you have an independent mac dealer around, aside from the bigbox retailers (BBY and FS are the same)? Maybe they can help weigh options. They might also be more pushy though. I hate salespeople, but like the smaller stores to play around with demo units that aren't locked down.

FYI: I have a Dell D830 running XP and Debian Linux. I formatted it out of the box in Sept and haven't touched it since. I have drained the battery a few times, but otherwise have never had to cold boot it--always sleep with the lid closed. It sees non-desk environments (rooftops, crawlspaces, closets) regularly, if not daily. I reboot every week or two but only to get into Linux.

Dell, Gateway, HP...they're all similar intel-based boards, really.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Replace Compaq with HP in that last sentence and you just decribed my current laptop. I can't really use it on my lap cause it burns my legs...*sigh*

Is it a P4? Those are impossible to keep cool.
*has a P4 HP

Intel started to make cool and power saving chips since the Centrino. The Core Duo and Core 2 Duo also run cooler and consume less power.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Is it a P4? Those are impossible to keep cool.
*has a P4 HP

Intel started to make cool and power saving chips since the Centrino. The Core Duo and Core 2 Duo also run cooler and consume less power.

AMD Athlon XP 1400+ (maybe 1600+?)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If you're sure compatibility isn't an issue with company resources (software), then I'd go mac if I were in your position. I went Windows for support reasons (job), but I'd rather be carrying a mac. To compensate, I dualboot.

Do you have an independent mac dealer around, aside from the bigbox retailers (BBY and FS are the same)? Maybe they can help weigh options. They might also be more pushy though. I hate salespeople, but like the smaller stores to play around with demo units that aren't locked down.

FYI: I have a Dell D830 running XP and Debian Linux. I formatted it out of the box in Sept and haven't touched it since. I have drained the battery a few times, but otherwise have never had to cold boot it--always sleep with the lid closed. It sees non-desk environments (rooftops, crawlspaces, closets) regularly, if not daily. I reboot every week or two but only to get into Linux.

Dell, Gateway, HP...they're all similar intel-based boards, really.

I'd have to use BootCamp w/windows to run wordperfect for work I think but everything else I could get for Mac (really, outside of PDF viewers, office and wordperfect I don't use a lot of software for work outside of work). I might even buy Parallels so I could switch between the two easily instead of rebooting (because if I go Mac I wanna run in Leopard MOST of the time, why else buy a mac?).

So, what's your reasoning for telling me to get a mac? I am so very torn still...and my trip to futureshop yesterday didn't result in any PC laptops tugging at my heart strings (I didn't even really get past the "this is ugly" or "this feels like it is going to fall apart when I open and close it" thoughts). There is an independant Apple Dealer here but when I was in there with my friend they were kinda jerks, I'll need to see if there are any others. I used my friend's Mac briefly yesterday and I managed to check my email without any major hickups.

BlurOfSerenity

here's a question -- if running windows on a a mac, is windows more stable, or is it still just like stupid old windows on a pc?

A.B.Normal

here's a question -- if running windows on a a mac, is windows more stable, or is it still just like stupid old windows on a pc?

I'm gonna assume its the same issues, as Macs now use the same Processor and hardware components as PCs,only differences are the Operating Systems.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member

I'm gonna assume the same as AB but I'd only be running it when I had to for one specific piece of software.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
So, after mych reading and conversing with friends I have come to the following conclusion:

I have no real reason NOT to buy a Mac but I also have no definitive reason to buy a Mac. So, the old "If it's not broken don't fix it" premise comes in...if I have no REASON to switch from a PC should I? I mean, I'm buying a new computer either way. I've had my current machine 4 years and it's time for a new one, the old one is becoming more hassle than it's worth. That said, because I keep my machines so long this decision is even more important.

Mirlyn

So, what's your reasoning for telling me to get a mac?
Stability and compatibility for a basic to advanced personal user. Never heard of one crash like Windows is known for, and the ones I've seen that run slow are simply older hardware trying to run a newer OS or are in need of memory.

Then again, I've no real bones to pick with XP (aside from the forced-upgrade practices by its maker). It's been very stable for me, and for the first time in my career I dread the onset of the shiny new replacement.

There is an independant Apple Dealer here but when I was in there with my friend they were kinda jerks, I'll need to see if there are any others.
The one here is known for that too, from what I've heard. Couple of friends here are Apple reps for two state schools and know more about the product lines than the dealers anyway--got a nearby college bookstore or similar you could try?

Doesn't look like Corel is in the market to support Mac. There appear to be workarounds for running WordPerfect in Mac OS, but nothing standard for the present or future. So its Parallels or BootCamp.

I've installed Parallels for some clients in the past. I don't like it, and would rather do the dual-boot option myself. With Vista, it was really slow and sometimes wouldn't resume after being paused. A coworker does bootcamp, and she swears by it. She's doing all our mac clients who want windows that way, and have heard no complaints.

YMMV, of course, but there's my limited experience. Personally, in this situation there isn't a overwhelming functional reason for me to bang a drum for either one. Its not like you're a complete novice who needs to keep things the same between work and home to stay sane, or a business user who needs to be a member of a domain for access to files, or have to run the Pesky Software XYZ v1.2 made only for a particular OS. I just think the Mac would be neat for a change, and I'd like to use something different for kicks. :shrug:

There you have it, a noncommittal post favoring both your options fairly evenly. Enjoy! :D

A.B.Normal

Macs have always been pricey ,as your paying for the name IMO.The Sony has a bigger HD +2x,more ram 3X ,bigger screen for less $$$.Unless there is some reason ,whether it be aesthetics or compatibility with the MAC ,I'd go with what gets me more for my $$$(SONY).

BeardofPants

Respectfully disagree. Yes, macs can be a bit more $$, but you get what you pay for. It comes with some pretty decent software for a start. And lemme tell ya, time machine pays for itself if you're using the comp for work.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Mirlyn, AB and BoP have jointly pretty much summed up all my thoughts exactly.

-There is no real pull either way for me other than the pretty shiny Mac and the different OS and such for a change
-You get better hardware for less money with the Sony
-Macs come with a bunch of stuff PCs dont...but, really, how useful will it all be for me? How can I even figure out what all it is?

I see benefits for both routes, but deep inside the child in me screams "I WANT THE MAC" for no other reason than I do. I just don't know if I can let myself spend that kind of coin on either machine with no real justification either way.

kuulani

I only skimmed through the comments, but let me say this ...

i love my apple!

i use PC laptops at my jobs, one is a sony vaio and the other is a dell. as much as dell sucks compared to my apple, it's much better than the sony vaio.