Mac vs PC

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Why would I run linux? I need WINDOWS for a work program...running linux would not accomplish that goal.

Huge

Virtualization, my dear. Runs better than real Windows (why, I don't know).

windows.jpg

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Well mac is a no talent kid who's claim to fame is getting hit in the nuts in the movie dodgeball.

and PC is on the daily show, so I pick PC

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Huge, you're running windows in a virtual machine and linux is your main OS? That's exactly what I'm doing...except my main OS is Leopard...

Mirlyn

No I still use Vista; I've learned a lot in linux but I'm still a n00b. :/

Can you remotely connect to your windows session with something like VNC? I've never tried it, but that's the setup I'd like to be able to achieve.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Can you remotely connect to your windows session with something like VNC? I've never tried it, but that's the setup I'd like to be able to achieve.

Yes you can.

I had that set-up for our inventory server at work.

It's just like running VNC any other way.

Mirlyn

Yes you can.

I had that set-up for our inventory server at work.

It's just like running VNC any other way.
So you can VNC to the windows virtual machine? Sweet. I'll have to give it a shot. I want to switch my desktop to linux, and the only windows thing remaining is activesync (which I could run in a vm).

One of our remote support tools use VNC "single-click" to connect the client to our desk systems (we run a VNC listener, not the VNC server).

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
So you can VNC to the windows virtual machine? Sweet. I'll have to give it a shot. I want to switch my desktop to linux, and the only windows thing remaining is activesync (which I could run in a vm).

One of our remote support tools use VNC "single-click" to connect the client to our desk systems (we run a VNC listener, not the VNC server).

There must be some options in qemu (or kvm) to forward certain ports, they already provide a virtual nic for the virtual machine so I don't think forwarding is a problem.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

Our virtual windows had it's own IP people never even knew they where VNCing to a linux box.