Missing Georgia...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Well, I certainly don't belong to the club, but I don't belong the club that says that as an adult I have to report in to all my family and friends before I leave town for a weekend on the off chance that one of them gets a wild hair up their ass to call the cops and say I'm missing.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PT said:
But again, SHE did not call the cops and say she was missing. She did run away, but that's perfectly legal. Her family on the other hand called the cops and every newspaper in town. Her family made a great big deal of it when they had an idea that she had just run away. Now, if you want to charge her family for the expense, go for it, but to charge her for it is ludicrous.

:grinyes:

Her lies to the police were not excessive, given the circumstances. They were also countered in a short time. NM police are not charging her & they were the ones contacted. This woman is a victim of circumstance. Had she been a 235lb hispanic woman with a ditchdigger for a daddy, we'd never have heard word one. It made national news & that is why the DA is charging her. The cops were on the payroll with or without her.

HomeLAN

OK, PT, since you like laying out what if scenarios more thqan dealing with the case at hand, let me try one out on you.

You get pissed with your wife and decide to leave her. You're irritated enough that you decide to give her a little scare into the bargain. So, you split, without your car, a change of clothes, or any discernable cash, so that it looks like a robbery/kidnap.

Question 1 - Should your wife treat it as a criminal act and call the cops, or should she just assume that it was your right to split, and let it go? Do you think she'll call the cops?

Let's say she call the police. It becomes a news story. You see the news story on CNN that night when you stop.

Question 2 - Should you call up and let folks know what's going on so that they can call it off?

Let's say you don't. You keep running around for 3 more days, while you front page news, and finally decide it's time to end the manhunt.

Question 3 - Do you tell the truth when you finally call in, or do you lie and start by saying you were kidnapped?

Question 4 - If you agree that your wife did the right thing in Question 1, then shouldn't you shoulder the responsibility, since it was easily predictable what would happen?

Question 5 - Why can't you apply that here?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Gonz said:
:grinyes:

Her lies to the police were not excessive, given the circumstances. They were also countered in a short time. NM police are not charging her & they were the ones contacted. This woman is a victim of circumstance. Had she been a 235lb hispanic woman with a ditchdigger for a daddy, we'd never have heard word one. It made national news & that is why the DA is charging her. The cops were on the payroll with or without her.

So, it's OK to lie, even to the police, as long as it isn't "excessive" lying.

Interesting.

Slick Willy said:
I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky.

Winky

The 'other side' of personal responsibility is
not being held responsible for others' actions.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SnP...had Willie said that to his wife & the investigating officers, it would be no big deal. When he came on national TV & told us, to our face, that line, it crossed several borders.

Homey...I'm not defending the woman, per se. I'm defending her right to disappear & when her disappearance gets so blown out of proportion that it becomes a lead story on the nat'l news, by chance & by actions not of her choosing, I say she should be cut some slack. If Gretta & friends weren't sticking mics into every detectives face every 30 seconds, there wouldn't have been such a huge manhunt.

HomeLAN

OK, Winkster. How do you think this should resolve? Should the family pay because they had the bad taste call the police for a missing loved one? Or should the taxpayers foot the bill, since she's just so damn blameless?

HomeLAN

Gonz said:
Homey...I'm not defending the woman, per se. I'm defending her right to disappear & when her disappearance gets so blown out of proportion that it becomes a lead story on the nat'l news, by chance & by actions not of her choosing, I say she should be cut some slack.

And I say that makes it worse. She couldn't have missed that. Why the hell wouldn't you act to put a stop to it?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Had she disappeared from some other people's county, where they had to be the taxpayers footing the bill for all this, opinions would likely change.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I can attest that she probably didsn't know since she rode a bus & they aren't splattered with news junkies & they stop in crappy places. Notice, all her fellow passengers & bus drivers missed her too.

Once she found out, she did report in.

HomeLAN

Gonz said:
I can attest that she probably didsn't know since she rode a bus & they aren't splattered with news junkies & they stop in crappy places. Notice, all her fellow passengers & bus drivers missed her too.

Once she found out, she did report in.

I disagree in the strongest terms. Shit, she referred to CNN in her call to NM cops.

And it's not surprising she wasn't recognized - she took the time to alter her appearance before leaving. Although not to leave a fucking note.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
Had she disappeared from some other people's county, where they had to be the taxpayers footing the bill for all this, opinions would likely change.

I pay my taxes & many other peoples too. I can say that I don't understand how it "cost" anybody anything. These public servants are already working for a living on our dime.

In fact, I so don't understand I actually started a thread here somewhere a few years back about "added expenses" that make no sense to me. We're already paying for these people. Let's put them to work.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Who is responsible for the OT? The woman who didn't break a law by leaving, the parents who didn't break a law by asking for thier assistance or the media for doing their job?

HomeLAN

The woman, for not foreseeing reasonable responses to her actions and taking steps to prevent them. It's called negligence.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
All I can say is, had my house been burglarized that day, and there was a shortage of cops to respond because they were all looking for ol' bug eyes while the thief got farther and farther away with my stuff, I'd personally be pissed. Or, God forbid, if my wife or parents had been injured or killed in a car wreck that was put on the back burner looking for little Wilma Rudolph down there.

And so would you....you just won't admit it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Won't admit what? Had your house been burglarized...the cops don't look for that stuff anymore & you damn well know it. There are sufficient emergency personel to respond to an accident. I know, for a fact. I was down there the week they were looking & I was stuck in a couple of accidents with plenty of police.

The woman is a moron. I don't think she is a criminal.