MLB 2006 trade deadline thread

rrfield

3 outs in 4 at bats, I'm not going to nit-pick. It's a game of millimeters, you can play 'what-if' till the season is over. Some pitchers would have hung the slider out over the plate.

2nd Cordero game - strike out, strike out, walk, line out to center.

Mench went 1 for 4, with an RBI yesterday, he's 2 for 2 with an RBI so far today.

woodman19_99

FUCKING YANKEES! Got Abreu and Lidle from the Phillies for four schmucks. I hope Steinbrenner has a damn coronary and Cashman falls off a cliff.

rrfield

Cordero's 3rd game - 1 batter faced, 1 out (gounder to 3rd). Save. He came into the game up 4-3, 2 outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Mench ended up 3 for 4 with 4 RBI, including a 3 run HR.

So far so good for the 'crew in this trade.

Inkara1

Meanwhile, Lee was the only Ranger getting any hits for the first two games the Rangers had him. The rest of the team swung the bats well in a 15-2 win today, though.

rrfield

Lee was the best bat the brewers had all season, no doubt about it. He was traded for contract reasons, not production. He turned down a 4 year, 48 mil contract, so he had to go.

Inkara1

He got a pretty nice ovation the first time he stepped into the batter's box as a Ranger. I'll be interested to see if we're able to keep him around next year.

3 1/2 hours left until the trade deadline... I'll be keeping yahoo sports up to see if the Rangers get any pitching (rumors are circling around Jon Lieber in the morning papers).

rrfield

woodman19_99 said:
FUCKING YANKEES! Got Abreu and Lidle from the Phillies for four schmucks. I hope Steinbrenner has a damn coronary and Cashman falls off a cliff.

Heard a Joe Torre sound bite, he didn't sound too happy about the trade. Something along the lines of "the yankees only trade for today, not for the future".

woodman19_99

Yeah, I know, but it still frustrates me that they always pull this crap. And somehow they still do damn well with the trade for now mentality. Somehow it works for them, which is frustrating, because it makes them somewhat of a shell of a team, and hurts what teams like Oakland and Florida try to do, by building from within.

Anyway, I am over that one... we'll see what happens. Lates Red Sox rumor has Mike Lowell being shipped to San Diego for Scott Linebrink and also getting Julio Lugo in there with prospects being sent to Tampa from both the Sox and Padres. We'll see what happens. I kinda hope they just try to get a starter, for someone like Coco Crisp. I like Lowell.

Inkara1

OK, deadline deals: Rangers get Matt Stairs from KC and Kip Wells from Pittsburgh. I thought maybe Stairs was going to be part of another deal, or a replacement for a player we'd be sending off, but so far it doesn't look like it. Kip Wells started the season hurt and sucked coming off the DL... but he's been solid lately, including seven shutout innings against San Francisco in his last start.

I'd have rather had Livan Hernandez, but at least we got a pitcher -- any pitcher -- to get guys like S'n'P to shut up. :p

In other news...
The Cubs were busy, too... they sent Todd Walker to San Diego for RHP Juse Ceda (who?) and Greg Maddux to the Dodgers for Cesar Izturis.

No news about Soriano yet.

rrfield

The Twins were rumored to be offering Boof Bonzer and some other prospects for Soriano, but the Nats wanted top prospect Matt Garza instead and GM Terry Ryan said 'go f- yourself'. Per KFAN.

Inkara1

SouthernN'Proud said:
Kip Wells.

Not a Z in that name, much less one ending the last name.

The Kip Wells watch begins... so far, one scoreless inning against Minnesota, which has been one of the hottest teams in baseball lately.

Inkara1

Two scoreless innings, three hits, one walk, in a reasonable 33 pitches... I like that he's induced two double plays.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
We get to dodge the Liriano bullet tonite too. With the A's and the Angels beating up on one another, this is a great time to make up a game.

*He says, just before they lose 14-3...

Inkara1

Indeed. One nice thing about being in the Angels' TV market is I can watch with great interest live.

This is an important game for making up ground, for seeing how the new pitcher does, for taking a series against a quality opponent to build some momentum before the trip to Anaheim.