MLB

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
All I've seen is what the completely unbiased :lol2: folk at ESPN choose to allow me to see on SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight.

I'm in baseball hell. All I get is the everchoking Braves, the sorriest excuse for entertainment since Fear Factor. Even the local fish wrapper usually only prints the scores of the Braves and maybe the Cardinals, Cubs or (gag) Yankees games...no others.

I learned a long time ago that being a Rangers fan is akin to a slow, agonizing death, repeated every summer. They have broken my heart so many times I stopped counting. Still, I love 'em, I buy the jerseys and caps and stuff when I can find it, and I hang my hopes on them every year like clockwork. The lone playoff victory in team history is almost an annual holiday for me. So I'll be there again this year when the inevitable happens, and I'll go through it again with resolution that maybe, just maybe, next year will be different. And when that mythical next year finally materializes, I can finally relax and bask in the joy.

See, I know a little about that stuff...I'm also a Tampa Bay Bucs fan. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Hey Spot.

I see the sox had their ring ceremony last night (since the Yanks were in town :lol: ). I thought I'd die laughing at the ovation they gave Rivera. :D

HomeLAN

SouthernN'Proud said:
All I get is the everchoking Braves, the sorriest excuse for entertainment since Fear Factor.

As opposed to a Rangers TV game? :rofl4:

Seriously, those of us who've been Braves fans since the 80's and before know that feeling. Ten years of basement finishes until '91.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
HomeLAN said:
As opposed to a Rangers TV game? :rofl4:

Dude, losing the world series is no special talent. :lol2: I love when the Braves make the series...it all but guarantees an AL win.

Pitchers have no business even looking at photos of bats. :D

HomeLAN

Wrong-o. The DH rule is an abomination before God. If AL pitchers can't play fucking baseball, then kick 'em out of the game.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
HomeLAN said:
Wrong-o. The DH rule is an abomination before God. If AL pitchers can't play fucking baseball, then kick 'em out of the game.

Maybe. But I prefer a 8-6 game over a walk, steal second, bunt to third, sac fly home and play defense all day to win 1-0. For these same reasons, I abhor soccer. I like at least some offense.

HomeLAN

Whereas I prefer the actual application of strategy. Not a big challenge to figure out when to yank your pitcher when it's not going to cowst you a player substitution anyway. A-B-C baseball actually takes work, whereas training a DH to swing for the fences every time is simple repetition training.

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:

What's sad is that I couldn't agree more. I was rooting for the Yanks long before the DH, I'll not stop because they've gone astray.

Actually it's not so much for the pitchers (a lot of NL pitchers are completely helpless at the plate too) as it is for the older players who can still hit but can't play in the field effectively anymore. Same logic applies though. If you're in the game you need to hit. If you're hitting you need to be in the game.

HomeLAN

Oh yeah, a NL pticher batting .200 is a power hitter by comparison to his peers. But they have to take their whacks, just like everybody else. Period.

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
I fearlessly predict that my beloved and beleagured Rangers will hit a ton, lead the division for awhile, melt in the late summer Texas heat, suffer from a woeful lack of reliable pitching, and miss the playoffs.

Again.

Well, what do you expect from a hockey team in the middle of summer?

Stop Laughing

chcr said:
Actually it's not so much for the pitchers (a lot of NL pitchers are completely helpless at the plate too) as it is for the older players who can still hit but can't play in the field effectively anymore. Same logic applies though. If you're in the game you need to hit. If you're hitting you need to be in the game.

Just swap AL pitchers with AL DHs in HomeLAN's quote. If they can't play the field any more, then kick 'em out of the game, too. It was funny watching Harold Baines stretch his career on the South Side a good 5+ years longer than it should've been, though. Frank Thomas is now doing the same. :D

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Well, looks like all hell tried to break loose in Beantown last night. 8th inning, a fan reached over the rail to either try and retrieve a ball, distract the fielder, or strike the fielder. Either way, the right fielder for the (gag) Yankees promptly slugged the guy, threw the ball back in, then turned to continue his beef with the offending New Englander. Which really narrows it down. Anywho, an alert security guard intervened, the fan was removed (some reports say arrested), and life continued on its course.

Thoughts? Comments?

I say the player was more right than the fan. A fan pays for the priviledge to WATCH the game, not participate in it. If the ball goes into the stands, it's yours pal, happy days and loving nights. If it's on the field of play, get your ass back in your seat and do what you paid to do...watch. If that ain't enough for ya, you deserve what you get.

My God, did I just defend a New York (gag) Yankee in public?