More people approve than disapprove of healthcare passage

spike

AHosz.jpg

spike

Nice cartoon there Spike.

Thanks. :thumbup:

I read the first two of your huge fonted links and it looks like the issue for both of them is related to this:

Up till now, AT&T and other corporations that provide these benefits get a federal subsidy, which can be deducted from their taxes. However, the Obama healthcare reform plan does not allow companies to deduct the subsidy.

Perhaps we should eliminate the federal subsidy as well. Seems odd that they were getting a subsidy AND a tax deduction.

ResearchMonkey

I guess you really don't understand how these deductions and subsidies came about or why. This is why you NEVER trust the government (especially progressives) to uphold their end of the bargain.

Its always nice to be left with the bill.

ResearchMonkey

Oh yeah, I remember now.

While these evil corporations are being punished for trying to help people, I find solace in knowing that now: street artist and garage bands can live their dream without any cares other than "how many groupies tonight?"

spike

I guess you really don't understand how these deductions and subsidies came about or why.

I would love to hear your theory on why these companies need both subsidies and deductions. Proceed.

While these evil corporations are being punished for trying to help people, I find solace in knowing that now: street artist and garage bands can live their dream without any cares other than "how many groupies tonight?"

This is a common irrational debate tactic. You generalize one side as good (corporations trying to help people...lol) and the other as bad (evil street artists and garage bands... :laugh: ) and then don't provide any actual evidence for either illogical generalization.

To make this rational in the least there would have to be some evidence that these organizations where just out to help people and not just improve their bottom line by taking advantage of deductions and subsidies.

Then there would have to be evidence that the bulk of the poor and sick were simply instead street artists and garage bands.

You did get the FEAR into both points though.

1. Don't trust the government (unless it's a Republican attacking the Constitution).
2. Evil street artists are out to get you.

I'm scared.

ResearchMonkey

I would love to hear your theory on why these companies need both subsidies and deductions. Proceed.
I'll point you in the right direction. The gov't made a deal with the companies to give extra coverage to retirees as part of Medi-D. Now the gov't is reneging on their end of the deal. Seems the companies should just call it a breach of contract and pass it back to the government.

Never take a sweet deal from the government, its always a trick, and it was.

spike

So I'm waiting for your explanation about why you feel these companies deserve both subsidies and deductions. You haven't provided anything except it looks like "Bush might have promised" without any evidence.

Cerise

Poll: Most Americans Remain Against Health Care Overhaul

The public is increasingly skeptical of the health care reform bill signed into law last week, a new CBS News poll shows.

More Americans now disapprove of the legislation, and many expect their costs to rise and the quality of their care to worsen; few expect the reforms to help them.

The poll, conducted March 29 through April 1, found that so far the president's efforts to build up support for the bill appear to be ineffective.

image6358196370x278.gif

Dems dismiss poll after poll after poll that reiterate what was said before the passage of 0bamacare: the American people don't want it and don't like it.

They now want it repealed!

catocom

All else I'm gonna say on it is....
If they want to go with the simple majority on this, then the simple majority
should be use if it comes to a repealing vote.
Edit: or a veto override

The double standard has to go.

spike

Dems dismiss poll after poll after poll

I wonder why Reps dismiss poll after poll.

An example Congress doing what their constituents want.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/03/23/Gallup-US-OKs-healthcare-bill/UPI-40611269389663/

I've been saying all along that Reps were reading polls misleadingly.

This supports findings by earlier polls that out of those that opposed the bill 13% thought it wasn't liberal enough (like me) but are happy that the current bill passed.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/22/rel5a.pdf

This is a triumph for representative democracy unlike the Iraq war when republicans constantly just dismissed poll after poll saying Americans wanted us out of Iraq.

I also wonder why they dismissed poll after poll regarding the Iraq war.

valkyrie

Thanks. :thumbup:

I read the first two of your huge fonted links and it looks like the issue for both of them is related to this:

Perhaps we should eliminate the federal subsidy as well. Seems odd that they were getting a subsidy AND a tax deduction.
While they're at it, take the corn subsidy away as well. Maybe we'll get healthier beef as a result.
(Off topic!)

valkyrie

Certain laws for "commerce" are necessary. Two excellent examples:
- anti-trust laws
- child labor laws

valkyrie

States can handle child labor laws.
But they didn't and they won't, and the industries that employed children didn't want that cheap, easily intimidated labor to end either. That's why the Feds had to step in and make the laws. Industry brings all these regulations upon itself.