My cellphone is dying

greenfreak

My scratched up, beat up, can't-hold-a-charge, 5 year old Samsung cellphone is dying. But as of today, I've got a brand new Motorola Razor ordered. :D

Rusty and I checked out the family plans with the major providers and settled on the Cingular 550 anytime-minute plan; $60. a month for both phones, $30. for the phones itself (after rebates), and $35. activation fee per phone. I wasn't thrilled about the activation fee but screw it. I was paying $45. a month for my old phone.

I only had 200 anytime minutes on my old cellphone and I never went over my limit so I'm not worried about only having 550. We were going to do the pay-as-you-go plan but if you don't use all the money that's on your account within 30 days, you lose it.

Now maybe my 12 year old nephew will stop laughing at me because his phone was nicer than mine. :p

Innit purty??

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
greenfreak said:
My scratched up, beat up, can't-hold-a-charge, 5 year old Samsung cellphone is dying. But as of today, I've got a brand new Motorola Razor ordered. :D

Rusty and I checked out the family plans with the major providers and settled on the Cingular 550 anytime-minute plan; $60. a month for both phones, $30. for the phones itself (after rebates), and $35. activation fee per phone. I wasn't thrilled about the activation fee but screw it. I was paying $45. a month for my old phone.

I only had 200 anytime minutes on my old cellphone and I never went over my limit so I'm not worried about only having 550. We were going to do the pay-as-you-go plan but if you don't use all the money that's on your account within 30 days, you lose it.

Now maybe my 12 year old nephew will stop laughing at me because his phone was nicer than mine. :p

Innit purty??

What does a 12 y/o need with a cellphone anyway?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Why not buy the cellphone and have it on pre-paid? (Over here it is cheaper for non-hardcore users).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Luis G said:
Why not buy the cellphone and have it on pre-paid? (Over here it is cheaper for non-hardcore users).

Pre paid is a pain in the arse plus if you she didn't sign a contract that phone would have cost her two arms and a leg prolly.

Inkara1

Cingular? I'm sorry. They burned my ass bad.

The way most pre-paid plans work is that you put money on the phone, and if you don't re-up within a cer5tain time frame you lose whatever unused money you had. But if you do re-up, the prior balance rolls over. When I was at RadioShack, I had some little old ladies coming in and adding money to their pre-paid phones and having like $95 worth of minutes when they only added $30.

flavio

Banned
greenfreak said:
I use MetroPCS which is $40/month for unlimited local and long distance calls anytime of the day. I use my cellphone constantly so it's nice to know my bill will always be $40 no matter how much I use it.

For prepaid though Net10 is good. You could pay as little as $15/month and your unused minutes rollover...and the phones start at like $29.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I paid around US$100 for my phone, and I spend US$20 in 3 months in pre-paid cards. It is a deal for me.

flavio

Banned
Inkara1 said:
I'm a little leery of Net10 because they're owned by TracFone.
My buddy has been using it for a few months with no trouble and really good range. 10 cents/minute seems to be the lowest price out there without some daily or monthly fee. Virgin Mobile seemed like the next best deal but it's 25 cents/minute for the first 10 minutes and 10 cents for anything after that.

I saw they're owned by TracFone but TracFone's are like 50 cents/minute which is strange.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Cingular? I'm sorry. They burned my ass bad.

The way most pre-paid plans work is that you put money on the phone, and if you don't re-up within a cer5tain time frame you lose whatever unused money you had. But if you do re-up, the prior balance rolls over. When I was at RadioShack, I had some little old ladies coming in and adding money to their pre-paid phones and having like $95 worth of minutes when they only added $30.

Last time I topped up my cell I think I had around $72 on it after the top up and I only topped up with $10...I'll have more than that on it after my next top up of $10 later this month, I hardly ever use my phone.

chcr

Too cute for words
Nixy said:

Hey, my almost eleven year old granddaughter has one. Otherwise we'd never get to talk to her.

greenfreak

Nixy said:
I ask him that all the time. :D

It's a Nextel and they have four of them in the family and they actually talk to each other a lot. He and his 13 year old sister are very active in sports and activities so there's always some game or concert to coordinate car pools, etc.

By the way, you're right about the cost of the phone. It's listing for anywhere between $139. and $199. without a contract.

Flav, that sounds like a great deal for you if you use it all the time. My job gave me a Blackberry for work so I don't have to spend my own money. But with Rusty driving the car by himself now, I don't feel right that only I have a cell. We travel this one parkway all the time that's 13 miles long with very few streetlights and only about 1 mile worth of civilization along it. That's not someplace I want to get stranded in winter without a phone.

Starya

My kid's had one since he was 9. He got it as a gift from his granny. I wasn't too pleased, but it has turned out to be damned practical.

Does he need it? No more than he needs his gamecube or cd-player, that doesn't mean he can't have 'em. :shrug:

Starya

Oh, and here's my baby. I've had it for some time now, and love it dearly.

jan_003.jpg

Inkara1

TracFone's prices aren't what make me leery of them... although they do ass-rape people (sorry, sexually violate anally... happy now, a13?) on the prices. I'm leery of them because part of my job at RadioShack was dealing with TracFone problems. I wouldn't think Net10 would have any better of customer service.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
greenfreak said:

Innit purty??

Too bad about your Samsung. Mine still works good, though, so I won't be tossing it in favor of the 'latest and greatest' until I need to. Call me a luddite, but I just don't see the need for a camera, color screen, or games on my phone. :shrug:

greenfreak

Me neither, hence why I'm only doing this now because the old one is on it's last leg. I tried to find a replacement battery for it but Sprint doesn't sell them in stores anymore.

Besides, the Razor lights up GREEN. That sold it for me. :D

tonksy

Let us know how you like the new phone, Gf. One day I'll pop for a new one, it's kinda hard to see the screen of mine since i accidently glued it to my purse :tardbang: