My cellphone is dying

AlphaTroll

greenfreak said:
Can you be more specific on why the returns and what the problems were so I know what to watch out for? Also, were these the "V3" models? I'm trying to figure out what kinds of problems you would have in 5 hours that wasn't related to the phone service rather than the phone.

I know people have their favorites and stuff but what's the problem with the Motorolas in general?

The problem that made Hazel return the phone within 5 hours was with the LCD display - it just wasn't working properly (she said it looked like the screen was mirroring itself). She switched it off again, same problem when she tried again.

Some other people have said they have problems with the LCD as well, the blue tooth device is a mission to use because the handset keeps disconnecting. And another friend said that, for some reason, the phone keeps switching itself off and back on and also, if he downloaded stuff, after about a week the phone would reset to the factory settings.

I've had problems with Motorola in the past, basic stuff like speaker volume and signal strength (it would only go to 2 or 3 bar, while the Nokia I had would pick up 5 bar) and I also had problems with charging the phone.

tonksy

I emailed the seller of that item and asked them if it had a screen or just a hole. Thet answered back that it had a screen so it was perfect for me if mine was damaged. I am now the winning bidder.
Thank you very much, Inky!

greenfreak

AlphaTroll said:
The problem that made Hazel return the phone within 5 hours was with the LCD display - it just wasn't working properly (she said it looked like the screen was mirroring itself). She switched it off again, same problem when she tried again.

Some other people have said they have problems with the LCD as well, the blue tooth device is a mission to use because the handset keeps disconnecting. And another friend said that, for some reason, the phone keeps switching itself off and back on and also, if he downloaded stuff, after about a week the phone would reset to the factory settings.
Thanks AT, I'll keep an eye out for this. I should get the phone sometime this week and if it's not bad out of the box, I'll keep that info in mind. If the wireless headset disconnects, that's going to be an issue for me as I may wind up using it in the car. And state law mandates a hands-free device, so I won't use the phone in the car otherwise.

We didn't get the web browsing enabled because we just won't use that kind of service. Besides, I have a Blackberry that is web-enabled too if I ever need it. But regardless, you would expect those features to work on a new phone!

Do you happen to know if it comes with a belt clip or holder of some kind? Rusty asked because he'll probably need one but we couldn't find any information saying either way.

AlphaTroll

AlphaTroll said:
Not sure, but I can try find out & let you know.

She's not available (quite possibly because she's in flight, on her way to Australia). Found this place that sells them (as far as I can remember these are additional accesories).

greenfreak

Thanks anyway, Rusty called and said we should have the phones tomorrow. I'll have to see where I can pick one up. He can't be trusted shopping alone; he always winds up coming home with extra stuff.

woodman19_99

greenfreak said:
Thanks anyway, Rusty called and said we should have the phones tomorrow. I'll have to see where I can pick one up. He can't be trusted shopping alone; he always winds up coming home with extra stuff.

There is nothing wrong with coming home with extra stuff, especially if it blinks and plays music or something...

Anyway, let us know what you think, as I am about in the market for a new phone as well...

greenfreak

We got a $50. gift card to a mall for Christmas. So we agreed that Rusty would to go to Johnston & Murphy and get new shoes for the wedding. He doesn't have ultra-formal shiney shoes.

I was expecting the shoe purchase to be $100. because that's typical for this store and I don't mind so much because the shoes last forever (he has another pair at home).

Well well. Rusty calls and tells me that he bought TWO pairs of shoes, a pair of socks and those wooden shoe expander thingies. Spent over $200. I was too afraid to ask how much over.

He's lucky I love him. I should tell him that that extra $100+ dollars was officially his birthday present.

greenfreak

He's not wearing a tux. He's buying a Hugo Boss suit with a vest. I wish I could find pictures of it online but their site is flash and I can't find anything like it. He showed me what he wants to get and I think with the right vest, it will look dressy enough. I'm not a huge fan of tux's and he hates them.

Inkara1

tonksy said:
I emailed the seller of that item and asked them if it had a screen or just a hole. Thet answered back that it had a screen so it was perfect for me if mine was damaged. I am now the winning bidder.
Thank you very much, Inky!
Glad to have been of service. :D

greenfreak

Alright, I've got the phone and like it so far. It's a good size and the weight is amazingingly light to someone like me who has had a real clunky phone for a long time.

I have yet to hook it up to the PC to download ringtones and pictures and such. We decided not to get the browser on the phone because it seemed frivilous when I have a web-enabled blackberry.

Service is fine so far, no dead spots that we know of between home and work. The camera is ok for what it is. It has a 4x zoom which is cool but the quality is better when you don't severely zoom in on something. I've been using it constanly, of course. I took a picture of Rusty and assigned it to his phone number in my address book so whenever he calls, his photo comes up on the display.

Oh and the voice dial actually works. On my last phone, I gave up on trying to set it up. It would keep asking me to repeat myself. People would look at me funny when I would yell into the phone, "home...HOME...HOME!".

The wireless headset is retarded. I'm not going to use it. It's just not comfortable for someone who wears glasses.