My nephew is an idiot

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
He got this laptop a couple months back, it's an old one, 486DX50, 16mb Ram, 400mb hard drive. It HAD Windows 3.11 on it, and was working pretty good. However the little dumbass went in and deleted the windows.ini file. Then he proceded to make a new folder called windows.ini, apparently thinking he could fix it that way. :retard:

Well, now it won't boot to windows, I can boot it up in dos, but not windows. Anyone out there got an old set of 3.11 floppies they'd like to get rid of? I used to have it around here somewhere but can't seem to find it now. Or maybe anyone got 3.11 loaded so I could see what this file is even supposed to look like? Was it just plain text like todays are?

Professur

You can pull the win.ini file from a win95 machine, if you've got one handy. It'll work, with a little tweaking. If not, I'm sure I can set you up.

Professur

Don't have it here. It'll be with my other diskpaq at the trailer. I'll pick it up later today.

Professur

'bout 4000 disks. I started to convert them to CD, but I toasted my burner.

I've dupes of most of my stuff. english and french.

PT

Damn, I keep stuff longer than I need it sometimes, but rarely over three or four years. I've got maybe 150 - 200 floppies, some more in the basement, but they're all pretty well toast by now. Not that I'll be loading Word 2.0 anytime soon anyway.

PT

Of course the little bastard will probably delete that next just to piss me off now.

PT

Nah, I already got his ass grounded for a week for lying now. Little prick tried telling me that he didn't do anything, it just stopped working, so as I'm browsing his files, I read off the times and dates, and tell him exactly what he did. I just love the look of defeat in a 16 year olds eyes. :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
No no no nothing like THAT

I am not a craddle robber JESUS!

I don't like guys younger than I...

Professur

I had to do the same sort of thing at a client's. The numbnuts they hired as a tech tried to split their database (ugly story, don't ask) and screwed the pooch major league. Then tried to restore a corrupt backup.
The long and short was that the customer lost 3 weeks of transactions. Pretty awful for a small trading floor. It took me over an hour to trace the timeline, backtrack all the copies, recovers, splits, dupes, and indicies. I don't ever want to have to do that again.

The worst part is that they're backing up to CDRWs. I cussed them out. Now they're backing to CDRs and archiving. At least, they'd better be.

PT

Bah, thats been done too.

The kid is usually a pretty smart kid, but when he gets into trouble, he really gets into trouble.