My new printer

tonksy

My old Lexmark X5250 (18 months old) was giving off death throes and since we have been going to Kinkos/UPS copy centers entirely too much recently for school related items we decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a serious machine.
We now have a HP OfficeJet Pro L7580 All-in-one printer, scanner, copier, fax machine. It's wireless as it's connected to the wireless router so theoretically all the computers in the house (save for Malory's) can print from it once they've had the software installed.
I gave it a heck of a first job by printing out all the sheets to to the class directories we are making for Malory's class. They turned out great! Blew the heck out of the ones we made for Mar's class!
I love my new machine :love3:

Inkara1

Anything's an upgrade from anything Lexmark. All Lexmark makes is printers, so you'd think they wouldn't be such pieces of shit. Plus, Lexmark is one of those companies whose printers cost the same as their ink cartridges (when you cna find one for your printer that's more thna a year old).

Opinions vary on HP. My HP printer has been good to me since September 2003. But regardless, at least you can always find ink for an HP printer.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
At the office we have a dell laser printer, which is in fact a lexmark, works pretty well and fast.

As for all in one, I've never been into them, hope yours is good tonksy.

tonksy

I like that I now have 4 ink cartridges. Thataway I can replace what needs replacing instead of the whole shebang when one color runs dry.
Although I must say that the whole toner racket is detestable to me. The dude was explaining about the extra large cartridges and I asked if they would fit in my machine and he is all "yeah, the are the same size. They are just filled all the way" and I'm going "why do they even mess around with the half filled ones? Charge me what you want and gimmee a full one"
I am apparently in the wrong business.

catocom

HP's hardware is OK, but I can stand their bloated software,
especially on the multifunction machines.

I'm a Big Canon fan.

I'm glad for ya though Tonksy.:hippy:
It you're happy with it That's the main thing.
You might want to look into how to optimize the software, so that
it's still functional, but try to cut as much 'startup' stuff as possible.

Might wanna consult HL if he has time.:nerd:

tonksy

HL helped me a little over the phone with some set up questions. He's good like that. There does seem to be a lot of stuff in their software but i plan on using it all....except for maybe the photo stuff but I'll peruse it before I change from what I am using now.

catocom

The thing is, if it gets slowed up, you just wanna take out
the startup stuff, and start the individual things as needed, manually.

That Photo-Share stuff is almost like a virus/spyware.

unclehobart

pnlimhp_officejet_pro_l7000.jpg

tonksy

The thing is, if it gets slowed up, you just wanna take out
the startup stuff, and start the individual things as needed, manually.

That Photo-Share stuff is almost like a virus/spyware.

I just looked in my start up menu and only have the one thing. I do have 3 desktop icons that relate to the thing though.

screen.jpg

catocom

Down next to the clock is always where I look first.
Right off I see yahoo messenger, I'd take that one out right off, and just start it manually.
I 3 things that need to stay...the speaker volume control is Ok,
the AVG is goo, and the wireless linksys control is OK.

I don't know right off what the others are.

regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

are where you'll find other statup stuff.

Or you can use..Scott's Windows Startup Program Manager

or something similar.
Always do a reg backup first though so you can put it back if needed,
but there always the driver reinstall too, if you mess up.

unclehobart

The little red box is: http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
2nd is the aforementioned wireless manager.
3rd is volume.
4th is the Lexmark printer manager.
5th is the Matrox vidacard manager... which is piffle.
6th is the Olympus camera manager.
7th is a disconnected something or other.
8th AVG
9th is the new printer interface.

Yahoo IM?

POStech

At home I have a HP 4100 B&W laser printer and a Dell 5100cn colour laser printer. Love both of them and the price was right too.....FREE from work.

catocom

overall from what I Can see it looks really, pretty good.
You seem to have kept it fairly clean...way bettewr that many I've seen.

You do have what looks like an IM though...here...whats this?

tonksy

The icon you circled is for my phone - to sync my phone with my computer. I suppose it does look all IM-y :)

I will get around to removing the Lex but we just bought toner for it and I want to use it up first on podunk copying etc.

chcr

Too cute for words
We simply love our Canon Pixma series IP1500. I think we paid around $50 for it. We bought it for the sole reason that ink is costly. We can get 2 colors and 4 blacks at 123injets for just $20.70 shipped.

I've got a few of those deployed at work. They're excellent task printers too. Reasonably fast, inexpensive and lower cost ink. :thumbup: I don't know what I'll use next, can't really get 'em through my regular channels anymore.

catocom

The icon you circled is for my phone - to sync my phone with my computer. I suppose it does look all IM-y :)

I will get around to removing the Lex but we just bought toner for it and I want to use it up first on podunk copying etc.

Looks like you're pretty well covered there then.

I've got a few of those deployed at work. They're excellent task printers too. Reasonably fast, inexpensive and lower cost ink. :thumbup: I don't know what I'll use next, can't really get 'em through my regular channels anymore.

I've got an IP3000 that I got on sale. I think they may have discontinued it shortly after I got it.:shrug:
What I really like is the separate 'head'.
Makes for easy maintenance/cleaning.:nerd:

FluerVanderloo

I traded my Lexmark inkjet for a laserjet this summer.

My mom lost her part time job, which supplied us with a lot of office things we needed including ink cartridges, and I didn't feel like spending about $50 per ink. I'm a history major, and drafts of 25 page papers would kill my wallet ink wise.

Found a Samsung ML-2510 on Newegg.com for $75.99 on clearance. Toner runs about $70, but I get 3,000 pages out of that sucker. The starter toner does 1,500, which should be enough to hold me out for the semester. Really glad I got it.