Nature or nurture

jimpeel

Oh, I see where you're coming from, I guess. Don't agree, but ok.

So, is someone also a latent heterosexual until 'consumated'?

By Spike's determined definition, yes. The fly in that ointment, however, is that the term appears nowhere in any scientific, psychiatric, or medical journal that I can find. "Latent homosexual" is a term that can be found in all of the above.

Saying "latent heterosexual" is simply one more of the oft repeated tit-for-tat responses that regularly appear on these pages. As an example: one says "muslim fanatics" and the response is "Christian fanatics", etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Saying "latent heterosexual" is akin to saying "male boy" or "female girl" or "canine dog" or "feline cat". One can say these things but that doesn't make it correct in everyday usage. "Latent homosexual" can, however, be found in everyday usage.

The term was used as the title of a humorous Broadway play by Paddy Chayefsky and was a simple takeoff of the term "latent homosexual"; but that does not give credence or legitimization to the term. If so, the term could be found within seconds with a few keystrokes.

chcr

Too cute for words
By the by ... "active homosexual" is a common term for sexually active homosexuals and, for those of you who do not know what that means, it means that they currently have sexual -- yes actual, physical, touchy-feely, sexual -- relations with other men or women.

If someone is already a homosexual, when described as a "latent homosexual", why then is there any need whatsoever to refer to active homosexuals as "active homosexuals" as differentiated from latent homosexuals?

Thank you. You made my point quite well. The reason, Jim, that there are different terms is that some homosexuals are active while some are not. You make the point yourself that they are in fact all homosexuals.

2minkey

bootlicker
at some point folks need to ditch the ideas of the past.

keep the ethics, but love the bacon cheesburger.

Aunty Em

*is happy she never attended summer camp... period!*

I can't think of anything worse than being in a hut full of smelly kids.