New Barton so far...

2500+, it never ever booted at default speed, straight to 3200+ @ default vcore and now stressing it :D

Attachments

• bart.JPG
    bart.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 18
When next my cousin calls i'm going to have a laugh at him, he paid over 400 for a 3200+ and i paid under 80 quid :lol: :lol:

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
nice there buddy. when my 2400+ grows up it will be an OPTERON.......

Hehe mine might be an Operton or a Prescott, and if AMD is still in the rut that they are in, Prescott looks more and more attractive daily.

steweygrrrr said:
I know not of these opterons and prescotts. Can I have some specs please?

Prescott is not out till later this year, operton is a new AMD processor that uses an entirely different platform, but so far i think the highest speed available is 2ghz? though it probably the best 2Ghz cpu atm its still only 2Ghz, never mind the high ipc etc.. but for server work its great with the 1mb L2 cache etc..Prescott can prolly make it to 5Ghz.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
yea unfortunately the prescott(justin is being lured to the dark side) and opteron are more server based at the moment... but I will have me one of them thar newbies. once i set back the funds.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Pentium schmentium....even with HT tech pushing them ahead I'm still an AMD faithful.

hmm.. 800fsb, Hyper Threading, Enhanced IPC, better core processes, ol man at HWC has a 2.4@ 1.15v or something, 3.2Ghz @ default.. more optimizations for thier core and SSE2 from programmers.. AMD got a long uphill struggle against that.

steweygrrrr said:
but do the new pents still handle 3d processing as badly as they used to?

The Athlon has been slowly losing everything in the top range, the PIV was always the best choice for video encoding and whatnot. Athlon still rulez in the middle range imho, can't beat a 1700+ @ 2.4Ghz, peanuts you pay for that and it'll prolly rape a PIV up to about 2.8-2.9Ghz.

Raven

Annoying SOB
sweet. I'm not a total power user but I do like a bit of oomph....worth forking out for a P4 when I upgrade next?

BTW I'm thinking that I would like to be a server admin....would a standard HND course in networking be a good place to start?

steweygrrrr said:
sweet. I'm not a total power user but I do like a bit of oomph....worth forking out for a P4 when I upgrade next?

BTW I'm thinking that I would like to be a server admin....would a standard HND course in networking be a good place to start?

yes, i've actually never been down that route. ol skool MCSE, A+ N+, CISCO here, but more paper the better. If you get a nice PIV 2.4 that does 3.2 easy, you'd be sittin nice, but if you're not an overclocker i'd get a nice 2400+ or so, more than 100% over your T bird.