New Car

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Toyotas don't have enough leg room
Mazda 3 is expensive and the sales guy was kinda a jerk
Ford Focus has received bad reviews from a family friend who works at Ford and used to own one
Pontiac Pursuit = LOVE
Saturn Ion = OK but obviously not as good a car as Pursuit

aaand DISCUSS

I'm going Monday to buy a car so I need to make my final decision by then.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
and I think we already had the "What is the Pursuit" discussion Dave :p

highwayman

I like my toyota, gets excelent gas milage. Legroom? have you tried other models? Without going into the high end level there is bound to be one that has enough for you..To add they make a very reliable car..

Have you looked at Nissan?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
highwayman said:
I like my toyota, gets excelent gas milage. Legroom? have you tried other models? Without going into the high end level there is bound to be one that has enough for you..To add they make a very reliable car..

Have you looked at Nissan?

High end?! :rofl4:

I'm just starting my first job...nothing high end for me..mitsubishi and nissan are off the charts price wise

highwayman

Nixy said:

I'm just starting my first job...nothing high end for me..mitsubishi and nissan are off the charts price wise

:tomato:

Well ecuuuuussse me..... Thought maybe you were Martha Stewart incognito....

A.B.Normal

Nixy said:

Not a big fan of either since they are GM,my previous two vehicles were '95 Chev Cavalier Z24 and then a '98 GMC Sonoma ,both were plaqued with quality issues.The Cav had to frequently have the fan clutch replaced and the paint started peeling after only a couple years.If you got stuck in traffic and it was snowing the snow would slide down the hood and block the air intake and then the engine would overheat.(fucking brilliant design :rolleye: )The third door on the Sonoma would constantly break the handle ,to the point I never bothered having it fixed and then the paint started to bubble too.

The problem with entry level cars is they are pretty much disposable after your done with them as they have no resale value.Have you thought about leasing?its really not that horrible an option anymore.The only thing that kept me for going that route is I put too many miles on my vehicles .The plus side is you get more vehicle quality wise and resale wise and it sounds like you'd be in better financial situation in a couple of years .One of the reasons people don't like leasing is the thought of not owning there vehicle and after the lease they've lost the equity put in,but as I've said a "disposable car won't be worth anything equity wise by the end of your loan term anyway.

Note : have you thought about the Dodge Caliber ? http://www.dodge.ca/en/caliber/ they seem pretty good and I've had good luck with my Dakota ,may even be able to get a deal on an '06 Neon if they have any left on the lot.

Inkara1

This is the same person who thinks that buying a Dodge is like buying an extension cord at the dollar store, so no matter how often I tell her my Neon has been reliable, she won't budge.

I'm curious to know why she wouldn't want to look at 1- or 2-year-old used cars. That way, she avoids the huge depreciation hit when she drives it off the low, but it's still got almost all of its life left.

Inkara1

Plus, it sounds like she already has her mind set on the Pursuit... so I'm wondering why she's making us have this discussion if her mind's made up already.

2minkey

bootlicker
given what i know about GM, ford, and chrysler, i'd strongly suggest a nice used honda civic, with a manual tranny (er, "standard" for you).

HomeLAN

Second the vote on Dodges. She might just be forced to confront her baseless bias.

Or, she'll just go buy the one she obviously already likes, like Inky says. BTW, a lot of Dodge's stuff these days under the hood IS mitsubishi, and the interiors are starting to resemble Mercedes (although that's a double-edged sword).

Inkara1

HomeLAN said:
the interiors are starting to resemble Mercedes (although that's a double-edged sword).

Yeah, the S-pattern shifter in your car threw me off for a second.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My reason for hating Dodge is three fold. Firstly it's the idiots at the dealership here in Brampton, tried to take my mom for a ride more than once. Second, it's the fact that she had a Dodge Caravan and had NOTHING but problems, got rid of it in less than 3 years because of that. Third, a friend of mine works at the chrysler plant here and told me he'd never buy a chrysler after what he's seen.

The third reason is pretty much why I vitoed the focus...if someone who works for the company tells me not to buy then I become very weery.

The reason I wanna go new is cause I wanna know where it's been (ie. no where) and I was considering manual transmission but I'm gonna have to commute into the city on a daily basis and I'd lose my mind being stuck in traffic with a manual transmission, my patience isn't so good.

Oh, and I'm basically looking for valid arguments against the pursuit (or GM in general) or valid "You should look at this car because"...I've looked into all of the entry level cars I could think of/find (I can't afford above entry level...) and have knocked off anything outta my price range. But I was hoping some people might know of some that come in about 18 000 CDN + taxes, etc or so (A/C and auto incl. power stuff would be nice but not necessary)

Inkara1

I didn't spend enough time on the freeway to learn the ins and outs of the cruise control system. If I remember right, it was me winding out the motor on the on-ramp, and one or two exits later getting off the freeway.

Inkara1

Well, GM's old 2.2-liter four-cylinder tended to blow head gaskets; the current one has only been around a few years so that type of problem wouldn't be dreeping up yet. Ask greenfreak what she thinks of GM transmissions after her experience with a Cavalier. Also, ask a ton of GM owners what relation the words "60,000-65,000 miles" and "alternator" have to each other. Ask Prof about the several grand he just sunk into his minivan for new heads.

Have you looked into Honda at all? Or Hyundai or Kia? Honda's reputation is golden; Hyundai has improved a lot from the shitboxes they were known for in the early 90s and they now own Kia, meaning all of Hyundai's improvements are going into Kia's new offerings. I never could find a comfortable position in the passenger seat of Christina's Spectra, but no one else has ever complained of that problem.