New Car

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Well, GM's old 2.2-liter four-cylinder tended to blow head gaskets; the current one has only been around a few years so that type of problem wouldn't be dreeping up yet. Ask greenfreak what she thinks of GM transmissions after her experience with a Cavalier. Also, ask a ton of GM owners what relation the words "60,000-65,000 miles" and "alternator" have to each other. Ask Prof about the several grand he just sunk into his minivan for new heads.

Have you looked into Honda at all? Or Hyundai or Kia? Honda's reputation is golden; Hyundai has improved a lot from the shitboxes they were known for in the early 90s and they now own Kia, meaning all of Hyundai's improvements are going into Kia's new offerings. I never could find a comfortable position in the passenger seat of Christina's Spectra, but no one else has ever complained of that problem.

I woulda liked a Civic, they're fairly roomy yet small cars but they are out of my price range (as well of the mazda unfortunately cause the Mazda 3 is one sweet ride). Hyundais I believe are expensive. I have looked at so many online I forget. I just did a recheck on Mitsubishi and with just air and auto (no power anything) it's a smidgen above my affordibility range but I may crunch some numbers tonight and see if I can consider it. I'll look into Hyundai and Kia again now though and double cehck their prices. Thank you for the input :)

HomeLAN

Nixy said:
My reason for hating Dodge is three fold. Firstly it's the idiots at the dealership here in Brampton, tried to take my mom for a ride more than once. Second, it's the fact that she had a Dodge Caravan and had NOTHING but problems, got rid of it in less than 3 years because of that. Third, a friend of mine works at the chrysler plant here and told me he'd never buy a chrysler after what he's seen.

The third reason is pretty much why I vitoed the focus...if someone who works for the company tells me not to buy then I become very weery.

I could honestly tell you the same about GM. :shrug:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Hyundai is within the range too.

I'm going Monday to scope them out (they're closed tomorrow).

2minkey

bootlicker
Nixy said:
My reason for hating Dodge is three fold... Third, a friend of mine works at the chrysler plant here and told me he'd never buy a chrysler after what he's seen.

hey i know somebody that works at that plant.

whatever your friend told you about chrysler and their quality issues is, well, true. i've spent enought time in chrysler plants to know... but GM ain't so shit hot either.

what about a used civic? my lady friend bought a 2002 for maybe $9k USD and other that the dents she's put in it, it's pretty much perfect.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
2minkey said:
hey i know somebody that works at that plant.

whatever your friend told you about chrysler and their quality issues is, well, true. i've spent enought time in chrysler plants to know... but GM ain't so shit hot either.

what about a used civic? my lady friend bought a 2002 for maybe $9k USD and other that the dents she's put in it, it's pretty much perfect.

You know someone from Brampton?

alex

Nix, just get you an old beater for under $1000. Then save the money you'd be paying on that fancy schmancy car you really want. After 5 years you'll have enough to pay cash for a nicer car and you'll save yourself all that interest.

Besides, you're going to meet some really nice professional guy who has a really nice car and you won't be using yours anyway :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
alex said:
Nix, just get you an old beater for under $1000. Then save the money you'd be paying on that fancy schmancy car you really want. After 5 years you'll have enough to pay cash for a nicer car and you'll save yourself all that interest.

Besides, you're going to meet some really nice professional guy who has a really nice car and you won't be using yours anyway :D

I want something reliable and something I'm not gonna have to sink cash into fixing it constantly.

Also, what about me has ever given the impression I'd fall into being carted around by some guy?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Honda.etc...

They are all good cars, in general. Some clunkers, some gold & a whole lot of in between.

Find the stuff you want, packaged, in the most affordable way & then pick color. For price I'd go Hyundai...for quality either Toyota or Honda...for price/package it'd be American (prefer Fords m'self).

You'll always find those who have horror (or love) stories.

Get a paycheck or ten first (buy used)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Honda.etc...

They are all good cars, in general. Some clunkers, some gold & a whole lot of in between.

Find the stuff you want, packaged, in the most affordable way & then pick color. For price I'd go Hyundai...for quality either Toyota or Honda...for price/package it'd be American (prefer Fords m'self).

You'll always find those who have horror (or love) stories.

Get a paycheck or ten first (buy used)

For what I want packaged the most affordable way it's looking like Hyundai and Kia. The Pontiac is affordable (but I may need to sacrifice power windows), Ford is the same deal as the Pontiac. Depending on my over all impression of the Hyundais and Kias I may sacrifice the power windows and get American.

I can't get paycheques before buying a car. My job requires a vehicle for travelling to sites and that could start almost right away.

Professur

Ok, let's take it back to basics, shall we? Some 'tard who works in a plant and maybe sees 4% of the entire production, while paying a union to tell him how badly he's being fucked over, while they're setting up conditions ensuring that his job leaves the country within 5 years isn't exactly my idea of a reliable source. Let's leave that conversation right there, shall we?

To start with, including/excluding any car based on someone else's opinion is a mistake. I, personally, would take one good hard look at my financial situation, and go from there. Then, I would hit the car lots. All the car lots. If you're planning on having something for 10+ years, invest a few hours now, and do it right.

First and formost, isn't the look, the cost, or even the reliability. It's the feel. I hate minivans. No, wait ... I HATE MINIVANS. But, after driving the Venture/Transport ... I liked the feel. And let's be honest .... you're not buying a car to look at it. You're buying it to drive. I personally loved the feel of the '89 Colt/Mirage. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, and recommend it to anyone. Neither HL, Bish, or Inky could even fit behind the wheel. See the picture forming yet?

Once you've nailed down the cars that you simply don't like the feel of, you go back over the list, using the consumers reports. For cars that haven't changed much in the past couple of years, go test drive a similar model at a used car lot. See how it ages. Do searches on the web for automotive self-help boards, mechanics online, etc. Plenty of info about stuff like the 3.4L GM intake leaks, failing alts, etc, for all makes. Plenty of crap to go around. There's not a car out there that doesn't have any failings to discuss.

Then look seriously at the options you want. I drive a stick in traffic every damn day, and it's really not that big a deal, unless you're looking for a reason to whine. Power windows and locks are more trouble than use in a climate with 4 months under the ice belt. If my windows freeze, I can jiggle them loose with the handle. Power windows leave you having to open the door and get out to take drive-thru or pay a toll. They're really fun when you have to get out of your car at the border. They simply love that. So do cops at any kind of check point.

Don't discount buying a returned leaser. I've had very good luck that route. First off, most of them are still under warranty, and you can pick up the extension at the same time. Gives you close to the coverage you'd get buying new. This is a car that's already had the lemonade knocked out of it ... but usually they're returned in great shape, one way or the other. Leasers have to (last time I checked) have two-way insurance. And they have to pay for any damages to the vehicle when they return it. The dealership will usually put these cars back to near demo quality. They're at least well inspected.

Now that you've done your homework, and know what you want, go back to the worksheet, and calculate the annual cost of ownership. Yeah, that's the bit most kids forget. What's that puppy gonna cost to insure? How much in gas? How much for winter tires? Is there a premium for the engine displacement? Is it on the top ten stolen car list? Is it gonna cost more to park it? How about parts and service? (That's where I finally had to give up my beloved Subaru. Simply couldn't get it fixed reliably)

Now that you finally know what to buy (note: I didn't say what you want) sit down, and go over every availible deal you can get information on. There's all kinds of deals going, from factory rebates, to zero financing, etc. You're a smart girl, run the numbers for yourself, long before you even think of talking to a 'salesman'. Remember, 'salesmen' aren't financial experts. They're not car experts either. Hell, the guy I bought the van from had only worked there a week. I was his first customer. He wasn't there two weeks later either. And, yeah, I got one helluva deal.

How about a trade in? I know one guy who paid a scrap yard $100 for an old car that barely ran at all. Drove it to the dealership, and swung $1000 on the trade in.

The long and short is that, noone else is buying your car for you. You do need to buy smart. But, at the same time, remember that you buy with your head, and own with your heart. You need to buy something you can live with too.

Speaking of Smart, have you considered them? With the price of gas ....

Inkara1

Indeed, you definitely must test-drive the car and see how it feels to drive, if the seats are comfortable, etc. The only knock I have on my Neon is that the seats aren't that comfortable for me for a long trip... but I was also given the car, and the seats are fine for the trips I take 95 percent of the time. I'd like power windows/locks and a remote keyless entry, but I'm also in a no-snow area, so when the time does come to buy something new, I'll get a car with those features.

You might consider renting some of the cars you're considering and driving them for a few hours straight to see how the seat feels.

Prof also brings up great points about the cost of insurance, maintenance, etc.

alex

Nixy said:
Also, what about me has ever given the impression I'd fall into being carted around by some guy?

Well alrighty then Miss Independant, you can drive him around on dates....and pay for dinner too :p

Dave

my $0.02.
stay away from GM. aside from shoddy build quality and cheap parts, they arent on the firmest financial ground. not that the government would let them go under, but if they have a cash squeeze, getting parts, or finding a nearby dealer that is open, could become an issue.
does Ford still make cars other than the 'Stang and 500? they seem to have nothing but trucks on the local lots around here.
Mazda does have some interesting cars. go back to the dealer and speak with someone else. if that one is a jerk too then it must be a training issue.
the new Hyundais are getting high marks for their build quality and even ride.
dont rule out a newer used Honda, or Toyota for that matter. they tend to run forever and the newer ones may still have the original factory warranty.

Inkara1

I have no trouble finding a Focus or a Fusion on the lots around here, and all the police cars are Crown Victorias.

Inkara1

So I was looking through GM of Canada's web site, and I see the Chevrolet Optra... I'm like "wtf?" so I look... I guess they sell the Suzuki Reno as the Optra5 and the Suzuki Forenza wagon as the Optra Wagon up there.