new processor: reinstall OS?

Mirlyn

Right now I've got a Tbird 900/100 running XP. Pretty soon I'll be getting a 2600/333. Do you think I'll be ok just swapping them out, or will a reinstall be needed?

Just curious if the upped FSB would screw with Windows...

Thanks! :headbang:

B

Bubba

XP might even notice that it is a different processor and go through the activation process.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it allowed you to change up to 3 hardware parts before reactivating.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
That's the theory, but when I changed the motherboard of my wifes pc, it wanted to reactivate. I guess a motherboard counts as three. :shrug:

PT

I've Heard the Corporate version doesn't care if you swap parts. :D

PT

Mirlyn said:
Corporate version?

Yeah, I forget who Told me that. Be sure to tell any corporations not to update to sp1 on a corp key though, I've also Heard you'll have to call MS after that.

Mirlyn

PuterTutor said:
Mirlyn said:
Corporate version?

Yeah, I forget who Told me that. Be sure to tell any corporations not to update to sp1 on a corp key though, I've also Heard you'll have to call MS after that.

Well, from what I'm told, there are keys that will let them upgrade. You just have to have the right one. At least, thats what I've heard.

PT

I've heard there were programs out there that would give a person or corporation a new key, but it had to be run machine dependent. That's what I Heard

Mirlyn

I think I'll go ahead and reinstall anyway. Can't hurt I suppose...

* refreshes the FedEx tracking number page

PT

That's like a Windows Motto, isn't it?

Windows, A Fresh Reinstall never hurts.

Mirlyn

PuterTutor said:
I've heard there were programs out there that would give a person or corporation a new key, but it had to be run machine dependent. That's what I Heard

I've heard of the programs, but haven't ha-err-heard about any problems with the machine dependent part. Maybe because mines a legal copy, and I would never have to worry about such things *ahem*, yeah. :angel: