new processor: reinstall OS?

chcr

Too cute for words
Do you guys like XP all that much? I just started working with it, and it's really starting to piss me off.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yeah, it does that at first. After a while though you really will get to liking the stability. Especially after coming from 98 or Me.

I think my favorite is still 2kPro though, that's what is on my main machine, XP Pro is on my wifes and my Lappy.

Mirlyn

chcr said:
Do you guys like XP all that much? I just started working with it, and it's really starting to piss me off.

Its not that bad--but only in the windows classic theme. I'd use 2000 over XP, but XP has better memory management for my Photoshop work.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Mirlyn said:
PuterTutor said:
That's like a Windows Motto, isn't it?

Windows, A Fresh Reinstall never hurts.

Trademarked, I believe. Along with:

Got Backups?
[/quote]

lol :D

very true....at least things work smooth for another 2 days...if you're lucky :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Hmm... I don't do any imaging with these boxes, but I am having a hell of a time with some third party software and restricted users. No probs at all on the one Win2K machine I installed it on. I dual boot Win2K and Linux at home, and I see no reason to change. I use the Gimp for imaging at home, but I have a gig of DDR now.

Mirlyn

I could never convince myself to make the full leap to Gimp. Not yet anyway. Maybe this summer...

PT

Yeah, the user setup is changed alot. Go to admin tools, and I think it just says Manage or Manage your Computer, it opens up the Windows config utitlity, you can play around in there a little more with the users instead of just admin or user. They really should have left the Power User as an option in XP, it's about the only way to set up someone that isn't a complete dumbass.

chcr

Too cute for words
PuterTutor said:
it's about the only way to set up someone that isn't a complete dumbass.
Unfortunately, I have to set these up for garage service managers (read complete dumbasses). I set them up with remote desktop software, and set up a admin log in for me to use to fix it when they fuck it up.

PT

Yeah, that sucks. The only users I have set up as regulare users on my machines are for the kids. If they screw them up, I just delete the whole account and start a new one. About once a month or so. The Third party apps can be a problem though, go into that computer configuration though, I think there are settings in there that can give them the authority to run certain proggys without giving them too much access.

rrfield

in response to all the talk about "corporate versions" of XP...

I have never had to activate a copy of XP. At home, I loaded XP via a CD I bought from Indiana University for $5. At work, XP comes preloaded on Gateway e6000 computers. I have changed a lot of hardware and never had to reactivate or anything like that.

rrfield

Mirlyn

rrfield said:
in response to all the talk about "corporate versions" of XP...

I have never had to activate a copy of XP. At home, I loaded XP via a CD I bought from Indiana University for $5. At work, XP comes preloaded on Gateway e6000 computers. I have changed a lot of hardware and never had to reactivate or anything like that.

rrfield

It doesn't work the same for OEM versions as it does for Retail versions. It depends on the key you use. Educational versions don't normally require activation, whereas retail versions do. I've had to reactivated tons of computers at Best Buy, but none at the University I work at. :)

2600+...woo....yes, I will definately get used to this. :cool: Going to reinstall now, I think.

PT

Hey Chcr, Just got home so I could look at my Xp config. It's called Computer Management, in there you set exactly what they have access to and don't. May help out to run that third party stuff if you give them admin rights to it, but nothing else.

For some reason, you can only pick Limited or Admin from the Control Panel/Users, but all the other user types are there under Computer Management. Just another example of MS dumbing everything down for us. :tardbang:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
I've Heard the Corporate version doesn't care if you swap parts.

Correct...I love IU software deals, too bad my nephew graduated :(