NFL week 1

markjs

Banned
Holmgren still makes the decisions on talent and that's well known around here, but I am not surprised that that isn't nationally known, because if the media outlets didn't have to at least acknowlege the Seahawks exist they probably wouldn't. Also the idea behind Seneca being number two is that there is some complication with the rules that I am not fully sure of the details on, but it would make it so that we couldn't use a number 3 man in a "slash" caapacity, but we can use the number two man. Frye is essentially what Holemgren felt was a good prospect and insurance feeing us to be more flexible with the use of Wallace. Leinart and Young may have played a few less games but both had signifigantly better teams around them.

The national media does not like it, but I assure you there is a high probability the Seahawks will go deep in the playoffs.

markjs

Banned
Vinny's lifetime rating is 75.24. Not to mention Vinny started his career back when they used leather helmets. I also doubt with his exprience, and advanced age he'd want to take a job as anything less than a number two guy, because he'd want to at least have a good chance of actually playing. It's highly unlikely that Frye will see the field this year, Vinny would be no different. Making Vinny a number two would negate the ability to use Wallace for other duties.

Inkara1

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess... but when the Seahawks qualify for the playoffs and lose in the first round, my itchy "quote button" finger will be at the ready.

markjs

Banned
What is your team anyway? Chargers, 49ers, Raiders? Or do you just bandwagon with whatever California team is likely to do well? (You may not be one of em, but a lot of Californians are like that).

Thing is we got one team, and I've beeen a fan of it since it has existed, and I keep up on it. They are a damn good team this year and I have little doubt they will win at least 10 games, in what is arguably the toughest division in the game right now. The division has been weak a long time, but that's the past and all four teams imporoved in the off season. We will likely make the playoffs and I am banking on us winning at least one playoff game.

The Chargers last year proved that a great team can have a bad game at the wrong time. Who knows the Seahawks could go 16-0, and then drop in the first playoff game. That's why they have that saying "Any given Sunday". The thing that bugs me is because Seattle is a small market team, we get no respect. We were underdogs in a Superbowl, that we should have been favorites in. Nevermind that the Stealers won the game, we were 13-3 and they were 9-7, and of course the zebras helped them quite a lot. It doesn't matter, we get no respect.

There was a recent article about NFC quarterbacks and how there are so few good ones. They mentioned McNabb and Brees, and then they talked about every other QB in the NFC, and didn't even acknowlege Matt Haselbeck's existance. Matt is a two time pro bowler, and statistically very close to McNabb and Brees both. Matt also was better than at least one NFC pro bowl quarterback in both 2002 and 2004, but being as the pro bowl is more a popularity contest, he wasn't selected. What Rush Limbaugh said about McNabb getting hyped as better than he is, is true. Personally I think it has a lot more to do with being in a large market, but I believe there are some racial aspects to ist as well. McNabb made the Pro Bowl twice with a passer rating under 80, and passer rating is a good handy number to get a summarized look at a quarterbacks performance. Statistically if you line up the three Matt is right there with them in just about every category. The one signifigant difference is that Matt has always had better running game behind him than is the average, and he doesn't have to throw 40 times a game, but his efficiency, yards per attempt average, TD/INT ratio, and overall rating is right in line with those guys.

Just an aside that shows that it's not just Seattle with this problem, another guy that get's dissed even worse than Matt is Marc Bulger. That guy is statistically closer to Peyton Manning, than any other guy playing the game today, but he got dissed by this article too, because he has a lousy defense and is in a small market, his talent goes largely un-noticed.

Then you also have Dave Krieg. He took us to several playoff apperances and even won a few of them. He didn't make it to the big game, but he ended his career in the top ten in four passing categories. They were attempts, completions, yardage and touchdowns. Manning, has knocked him to 11th in yards and completions by now, but he's still one of the top 20 quarterbacks all time. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Krieg has ever been considered for the HOF. Both Warren Moon, and Dan Fouts, never got to a Super Bowl, but they happend to have the luck of playing somewhere other than Seattle. Actually Moon was our QB at the end of his career, but if he's spent his whole career here, I'd wager that he would not be in the hall now.

If we win the superbowl, and I have heard of two television analysts brave enough to pick us to do so, I can almost guarnatee, we will start next season below third on preseason power rankings. We'd have to win a slew of superbowls, to get the respect Chicago does with their one, nearly 20 years ago. We simply get no respect. No matter how good we are, no respect. It just gets old.

rodney-dangerfield_m4.jpg

Inkara1

I was raised a Raiders and Cowboys fan. I'm fully aware of the Raiders' woes. As for the Cowboys, if their offense looks every week like it did in week 1, and if the defense can start looking better than it did against Eli "I'm not just here on the coattails of my dad and brother... no, really!" Manning, then look for Dallas to be still playing in the last weekend of January.

markjs

Banned
We Raider fans do appreciate your team keeping the cellar so clean for so long.

Oh the Raiders have never owned us, so don't act like you did, the all time record is:

sea vs. rai 23 27 0 1075 1117

And in playoffs it's 1-1-0

And any Charger fans can STFU before they start because:

sea vs. sdg 25 23 0 1001 992

The Chefs and Donkeys, have pretty much owned us in the past, but the NFC west has no real bragging rights either, none of them, except St Louis who has beat us exactly one time more than we have beaten them. So as far as division rivalries, there are two teams that have had our number and that was years ago. Besides the faiders are stuck in perpetual sucktitude! They are still a few years away from the playoffs at best anyway. It is so funny when a Raider fan tries to talk smack. Past glory my ass! That's always what teams try to pull, and it's always just as pathetic when their team is currently....

LOSERS!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The Raiders may not have owned the Seahawks but the AFC West sure as hell did.

finished 4th or 5th 10 times.
finished 3rd or worse 18 times. (the Raiders have done this 22 times & have 16 or so years over Seattle)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Yes. Sadly, in the last several years the Raiders have fallen from their glory & now suck donkey dick. That, though, has diddly squat to do with the Seasucks being losers since the beginning. :p

markjs

Banned
That's another bunch of bullshit that everyone tries to pull out against Seahawk fans, and it's as stupid now as it ever was. This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately, league. The average NFL career last's about 3 years. In the last 5 years we have gone 48-30, and 3-4 in playoffs. We lost arguably one of the worst officated games in NFL history, to the Stealers. We have been in the playoffs every year since 2003.

Since the move to the NFC 5 years ago we are second only to Philidelphia (53-27) in wins. We are very much a contender in the NFC and you know it.

Choakland is 26-54 in that time. Such losers those Seahawks are huh?

You just have team envy because we have one and you don't! :grinyes:

Inkara1

Interesting how Seattle was, with a couple exceptions here and there, an also-ran in the AFC... but since the move to the NFC is 53-27. The NFC is also considered the inferior league right now. Coincidence?

markjs

Banned
In the last 5 years we are better than both the Raiders and The Cowboys Inky. :grinyes:

Our AFC past is not without glory years as well. Two years, 83 and 84, we went deep into the playoffs both years. Of course we never won it all, but there were good years. Three other years we had playoff appearences as well. More than that there were a lot of mediocre years.

In '84 we knocked the Raders out of the postseason, the year they were reigning champs. :grinyes:

Incidentally the Cowgirls were a pathetic expansion team for a few years before they found any glory. Our day will come!

And since you guys so want to live in the past here's a fond memory of mine Inky..... :laugh: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl3:

romo.jpg

070107_Seahawks_Cowboys_14.jpg

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Our AFC past is not without glory years as well. Two years, 83 and 84, we went deep into the playoffs both years. Of course we never won it all, but there were good years.

1st Place finishes only (except one SuperBowl year)

1967 13 1 0 1st AFL West Won AFL Championship
1968 12 2 0 1st AFL West Won Western Division playoff
1969 12 1 1 1st AFL West Won Divisional Playoffs
1972 10 3 1 1st AFC West
1973 9 4 1 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
1974 12 2 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
1975 11 3 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
1976 13 1 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs (Patriots) 24-21
Won Conference Championship (Steelers) 24-7
Won Super Bowl XI (Vikings) 32-14
1980 11 5 0 2nd AFC West Won Wild Card Playoffs (Oilers) 27-7
Won Divisional Playoffs (Browns) 14-12
Won Conference Championship (Chargers) 34-27
Won Super Bowl XV (Eagles) 27-10
1982 8 1 0 1st AFC Conf.+ Won First Round
1983 12 4 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs (Steelers) 38-10
Won Conference Championship (Seahawks) 30-14
Won Super Bowl XVIII (Redskins) 38-9
1985 12 4 0 1st AFC West
1990 12 4 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
2000 12 4 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
2001 10 6 0 1st AFC West Won Wild Card Playoffs
2002 11 5 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs (Jets) 30-10
Won Conference Championship

markjs

Banned
1st Place finishes only (except one SuperBowl year)

1967 13 1 0 1st AFL West Won AFL Championship
1968 12 2 0 1st AFL West Won Western Division playoff
1969 12 1 1 1st AFL West Won Divisional Playoffs
1972 10 3 1 1st AFC West
1973 9 4 1 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
1974 12 2 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
1975 11 3 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
1976 13 1 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs (Patriots) 24-21
Won Conference Championship (Steelers) 24-7
Won Super Bowl XI (Vikings) 32-14
1980 11 5 0 2nd AFC West Won Wild Card Playoffs (Oilers) 27-7
Won Divisional Playoffs (Browns) 14-12
Won Conference Championship (Chargers) 34-27
Won Super Bowl XV (Eagles) 27-10
1982 8 1 0 1st AFC Conf.+ Won First Round
1983 12 4 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs (Steelers) 38-10
Won Conference Championship (Seahawks) 30-14
Won Super Bowl XVIII (Redskins) 38-9
1985 12 4 0 1st AFC West
1990 12 4 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
2000 12 4 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs
2001 10 6 0 1st AFC West Won Wild Card Playoffs
2002 11 5 0 1st AFC West Won Divisional Playoffs (Jets) 30-10
Won Conference Championship

Ancient history! Oh wait, one playoff appearance in the last 5 years 5 years ago, compared to 4 straight playoff appearences, and going on five, and maybe gettin it all.

The Raiders will have fun watching the playoffs in the comforts of their own home. You are winners though....at losing!

markjs

Banned
And by the way I am not living in Indiana and jumped on a winning team's bandwagon from somewhere else years ago and is now riding out some lean years, in the hopes that they can recapture past glories.

I love my team right here at home, where I can go to their games in one of the NFL's finest stadiums, and I have since I was old enough to appreciate football. Lean years and glory years, I bleed green and blue.

And that tired old shit about until you have a championship you have no room to talk smack, well it's just pathetic because it's always someone from a team who has nothing to cling to but the past that it's coming from. I enjoy being a contender, year in, and year out. I know someday we will win it all, but I'll take a consistant playoff level team over a loser or mediocre team any day. It's a lot more fun to be a contender than a pretender. We got a good team and as of now we are in first place in the whole NFL, and have as good a shot at superbowl glory as anyone.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm not on their bandwagon either. I'm a Raiders fan, through & through. It's just fun to use them since so I am stuck in cornland.