Minnesota beats Atlanta *

Pittsburgh beats Cleveland *

Green Bay beats Philidelphia *

Houston beats Kansas City *

Seattle beats Tampa Bay *

San Diego beats Chicago *

Detroit beats Oakland *

New York Giants beat Dallas X

Of course I picked Indy to beat N.O. but I can't prove it. Still, I think that was a no brainer.

Now I know it may seem crazy to pick the Packers over the Eagles, but I like Green Bay's D, and I like Favre to pull the upset. I also expect Eli Manning to stun everyone with a huge performance in Dallas. I fully expect the Bears to go through the "super bowl loser's slump", and I predict they go no better than 9-7, and more likely 8-8 or worse. The only reason we didn't go though it is because the game was pretty much handed to the Steelers, and we were the better team.

So anyway, lets hear everyone's picks for Sunday and Monday, and we'll see how well everyone did when the smoke clears!

Then for tommorrow I have Cincinati beating Baltimore, and Arizona beating San Francisco, book it!

11-3 so far, not too shabby!

woodman19_99

When do the Pats NOT have a good year?

Um, the late 80's and early 90's were pretty damn miserable for the Pats. We had a glimpse of hope in the Tuna Bowl in what, '96? We've put up with some pretty craptastic times...

And Inky, it helps if you have a real NFL QB and offensive line... it really does.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
If my beloved Bucs keep losing to second rate teams, we can pretty much compete with Cleveland and Oakland for that first draft pick...

spike

The Giants really got beat up. Four injuries in one game? What a way to start the season.

Not sure how serious they are though. Jacobs is out 3-5 weeks. Hopefully the rest will be back next week.

Charger's defense looked amazing against the Bears. Go Bolts!

Inkara1

Latest on Kevin Everett:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Buffalo Bills reserve tight end Kevin Everett will be sedated for a day or two as doctors evaluate the extent of a severe spinal injury that could leave him paralyzed. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Everett is in the intensive care unit at Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital after a four-hour operation performed hours after he was hurt in a season-opening loss to Denver, Eric Armstead, a partner of agent Brian Overstreet, told the Associated Press on Monday. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "He'll be sedated for the next 24 to 48 hours and we won't know more until then," Armstead said. "We were told by the doctors that the surgery went well." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Everett's family members, including mother Patricia Dugas, were to arrive in Buffalo on Monday from their Houston home, Armstead said [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Overstreet told the AP late Sunday that his 25-year-old client had some "sparse movement."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]source
[/FONT]

markjs

Banned
If my beloved Bucs keep losing to second rate teams, we can pretty much compete with Cleveland and Oakland for that first draft pick...

That's the cream of the NFC you are talking about, and some of the experts agree, Jimmy Johnson (he ought to know), Marshall Faulk (a well known great football mind), Adam Schefter....I know that was meant to piss me off, because it it wasn't it really shows how little you actually understand about football. We played at our worst and still easily handed it to your team. The Bucs are at best a third rate team. I am sure they'll have fun watching the Seahawks in the playoffs on TV.

*handonhip

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
some of the experts agree, Jimmy Johnson (he ought to know), Marshall Faulk (a well known great football mind), Adam Schefter....

Jimmy has two SuperBowl wins, more than a decade ago & Marshall couldn't run in his, the Titans stopped him cold. Adam-who? Experts or has beens?

Inkara1

Will the Seahawks make the playoffs? Probably. Will they make it past the first round? I certainly wouldn't bet on that.

markjs

Banned
Will the Seahawks make the playoffs? Probably. Will they make it past the first round? I certainly wouldn't bet on that.

Well considering that we very nearly beat the Bears last year at Soldier field with some members of our secondary that hadn't even been in football only weeks before I would bet on it in a heartbeat! Their victory was very nearly a defeat even with us at far less than full strength.

spike

49ers/Cardinals game had one hell of a crazy finish. I heard the Bengals/Ravens game did too but haven't seen the highlights yet.

unclehobart

The Ravens game was nutso. There were like 6-7 turnovers, a punt returned for a TD, McNair couldn't do the final drive because of a groin injury, Ray Lewis got hurt on like the second play of the game. The final drive had the Ravens inside the 10 yard line of the Bengals for what amounted to like 9 plays, 2 penalties, and and interception.... quite an adrenalized ending.

markjs

Banned
Here's another reason why the Seahawks won't go anywhere...

They traded for Charlie Frye. The guy who wasn't good enough for Cleveland.

OK, firstly we got him so he can be the number three QB, a position we needed filled, and I think Mike Holmgren knows a lot more about quarterbacking than you do. Not even to mention the fact he hardly has a chance in Cleveland and is surrounded by a less than average supporting cast.

We had limited choices to be our number three and we picked the best one. Basically there was Byron Leftwich (80.52), who is not a number three and would have cost too much. Then There was Ken Dorsey, but he has a QB rating of 63.49, (all ratings in this post are lifetime career ratings.) Next choice was Our starter Hass's little bro Tim Hasselbeck, who weighs in with a mighty 63.57, the last likely candidate, Charlie Frye rates at 70.47, and again that's with a bunch of medicrity and underacheivers all around him.

To give you an idea, Frye hasn't had a lot of playing time, but now he is with Holmgren, who is known for having an eye for Quarterback potential, and the know how on how to get them to play up to said potential. Remember brought us Brett Favre (85.05), and Matt Hasselbeck (85.1), two great QB's who would have faded into obscurity if not for Holmgren.

Further there are starters not much better than Frye in the league right now:

Vince Young 65.83

Jon Kitna 72.69

Joey Harrington 68.05

Matt Leinart 71.72

Josh McCown 73.13

Rex Grossman 71.81

Still not convinced? Well let me show you the ratings of a few hall of fame Quarterbacks:

Troy Aikman 81.62

Johnny Unitas 78.2

Terry Bradshaw 70.91

John Elway 79.86

Again, Frye is now our number three guy, and what that also does for our team is allows us to use the dynamic and multi talented Seneca Wallace, for any number of gadget plays, as a wide reciever, basically it allows him to be a "slash" player.

On an entirely different note, I came across a stat that makes me seriously wonder about Lovie Smith. He is starting Grossman (71.81), when he has Brian Griese (84.54),available to him....Kind of makes you wonder don't it? For that and other reasons I won't go into, I predict that the Bears very likely do not make the playoffs, and if they do, they will not go so far. The have a good D but their offense is, well....offensive! :grinyes:

Inkara1

Charlie Frye rates at 70.47
So that's our base number to work with...

Vince Young 65.83

Jon Kitna 72.69

Joey Harrington 68.05

Matt Leinart 71.72

Josh McCown 73.13

Rex Grossman 71.81
A real who's-who of NFL quarterbacks, there. None of them are particularly highly-regarded starters. Young and Leinart might have a bit of a pass right now because of how new they both are, although Young is a lot more dangerous with his feet than with his arm... sort of like Michael Vick but nicer to dogs.

Troy Aikman 81.62
That's a good bit higher than 70.47, with a much higher sample size, and keep in mind that although he had Michael Irvin to throw the ball to, he also had a good running game with Emmitt Smith. The rating takes into account the number of passes thrown and completions, and when you have a back like Smith in his prime, you won't get a lot of two-yard touchdown passes.

Johnny Unitas 78.2
Good bit higher than Frye, also, and Unitas played in a different offensive era. Today's offenses are more explosive than when Unitas played and quarterback ratings reflect that.

Terry Bradshaw 70.91
Same deal as Unitas... also, the Steelers won in the 1970s with the Steel Curtain defense, and while the 2007 Seahawks' defense isn't bad, I don't think it compares to the Steel Curtain. Also, Bradshaw is the guy who "couldn't spell CAT if you gave him the C and the A."

John Elway 79.86
Put him in the same group as Aikman... their playing careers overlapped by quite a bit anyway.

I notice you don't bring up current players like Peyton Manning (94.6) and Tom Brady (88.9), or hall-of-famers like Dan Marino (86.4), Steve Young (96.8) and Joe Montana (92.3).

Additionally, here's a good article about the QB rating and why it's really flawed.

markjs

Banned
Unitas, Elway, Aikman, and Bradshaw are all hall of famers. I used QB's that were in the 70-80 range. But the point is there was nobody better available, and experience wise Fry should have more of a pass than Leinart, or Young, because he has had less playing time, and let's face it, he was with the Browns. You make it sound like the Seahawks don't know what they are doing, and the only real point is if I was to look for advice on a QB to hire, um let's see, who should I ask, Inkara1, or Mike Holmgren.....?

:laugh: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl3:

Inkara1

But the point is there was nobody better available,
Just because there was "nobody better available" doesn't mean he will help them get to the Super Bowl.

and experience wise Fry should have more of a pass than Leinart, or Young, because he has had less playing time,

Less playing time? Hmm... let's take a look at his player profile, shall we? Looks like he started five games in 2005 and played in seven, with four touchdowns and five interceptions, and seven fumbles, four of them lost. In 2006, he started and played in 13 games, with 10 touchdowns and 17 interceptions, and eight fumbles, seven of them lost. Even further than that, in looking at his splits from 2006, if you want to go by rating, his rating in the first half of games is 76.6, his rating in the second half of games is 68.2 and his rating in the final two minutes of halves is 56.7. Not only that, in the fourth quarter, as well as when in the fourth quarter and within 7 points, his rating is 56.7 and seven of his 17 interceptions have come in that situation. Three of the Browns' losses were within seven points or less... if you consider the two-point conversion, five of the losses were one-possession games.

Leinart started 11 games and played in 12 last year, and started in and played the one this year. He had 11 touchdowns and 12 interceptions last year, and had eight fumbles but only lost two of them. Young played in 15 games last year and started 13, with 12 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He had 12 fumbles, but lost only three and also did so while rushing 83 times for 552 yards. (Leinart rushed 22 times for 49 yards, including sacks and scrambles, and Frye rushed 47 times for 215 yards, including scrambles and sacks).

The other difference is Frye has a year more time in the NFL than Young and Leinart and thus has had more time to adjust to the speed of the game.

You make it sound like the Seahawks don't know what they are doing, and the only real point is if I was to look for advice on a QB to hire, um let's see, who should I ask, Inkara1, or Mike Holmgren.....?

:laugh: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl3:

Holmgren hasn't been GM for a number of years now. this story quotes Seattle GM Tim Ruskell, who made the decision to get Frye. Also, per the article, Wallace is still the Seahawks' No. 2 man.